The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have had issues. I suffered with panic attacks brought on by heat. 

I havent had 1 for a long time though.

Running hands under a cold tap for ages brings me out of it. Unfortunately that isnt an option at the festival.

I don't think you should work yourself up with worry too much... 20-22 is ideal room temperature. It's what many shops, offices and other buildings will have their thermostats set to. Above 25 and I am completely on your side, it can get a bit too much. 

Of course your circumstances are your own, unique to you, and if you struggle in most offices and public buildings then I can see your worry. But if you don't, is there a chance that the thought of summer fills you with so much dread that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy? 

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I don't think you should work yourself up with worry too much... 20-22 is ideal room temperature. It's what many shops, offices and other buildings will have their thermostats set to. Above 25 and I am completely on your side, it can get a bit too much. 

Of course your circumstances are your own, unique to you, and if you struggle in most offices and public buildings then I can see your worry. But if you don't, is there a chance that the thought of summer fills you with so much dread that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy? 

Those are shade temps though. Not sun temps & unfortunately it is a festival without shade.

Do I struggle in our office? No... everyone says its too cold. Im in a TShirt! 🤣

The summer is an issue, but I just avoid the sun. So it ends up being manageable. The fact at Glastonbury its relentless is the issue. If there was an air conditioned area I could sit in from 10-4, I would be ok!

But it's a case of dealing with it. Ive survived before, so I'll survive again.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

No tantrum from me. Pay your money, got to deal with it. But this is a discussion board. 

I was taking the mick out of myself there. 😉 We all want the perfect weather for us for lots of different reasons. But like others suggested, if sunshine above 20c is really panick attack inducing for you then you should definitely seek advice from a doctor for some advice on self care and managing these episodes. It's no wonder you're concerned if that's the case

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

Those are shade temps though. Not sun temps & unfortunately it is a festival without shade.

Do I struggle in our office? No... everyone says its too cold. Im in a TShirt! 🤣

The summer is an issue, but I just avoid the sun. So it ends up being manageable. The fact at Glastonbury its relentless is the issue. If there was an air conditioned area I could sit in from 10-4, I would be ok!

But it's a case of dealing with it. Ive survived before, so I'll survive again.

We found the woods and permaculture areas to be really shady and cool on Wednesday last year. I expect woods will be packed this year though with the interest in woodies.

If you take a small tent, have you thought about taking a tarp to cover it? Buy the right poles and you can set them up so that they don't take up a much bigger footprint. And let's be honest, in your unique circumstances I don't think anyone would begrudge you taking up a little extra room. 

Also, we use these on the beach, facing away from the sun with the door open they provide incredible shade, stay cool, and pack down to next to nothing. They take a minute or less to setup, face it North, and you'll have (almost) instant cool shade when required. Only problem is the rules, I don't know if they'd be an issue (assuming you use them sensibly and out of the way of crowds / foot traffic, and definitely not at the stages.) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nalu-Orange-Beach-Monodome-Shelter/dp/B01BXZKA4G/ref=asc_df_B01BXZKA4G/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=330918918934&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12579810006835528046&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046418&hvtargid=pla-887389262152&psc=1

3 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Checking in for 2023. How are we looking?

In true Glastonbury style, it's a bit of a knife edge at the moment.  Potentially got low pressure sweeping in from the friday of the fest but also have had forecasts of absolute scorchio scenes.

Still far too early to say.  Another week and we'll start to have a bit of a clearer picture.

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Exactly. Those temps are shade temps.... What shade? It is absolutely horrendous. 

If the weather is hot all weekend, Im not planning on seeing any act before about 7 in the evening. I will just stay at my tent I think. Then come out when the temps drop. Probably venture out for Rick Astley though.

24/25 with a breeze? Are you joking? Why don't you head to permaculture or glade where there's loads of shade. 24 is not hot. I think you need to get a grip. Or give your ticket to me? 😄

Edited by danbailey80

21 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

24/25 with a breeze? Are you joking? Why don't you head to permaculture or glade where there's loads of shade. 24 is not hot. I think you need to get a grip. Or give your ticket to me? 😄

No.. nice try though!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

23 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

In true Glastonbury style, it's a bit of a knife edge at the moment.  Potentially got low pressure sweeping in from the friday of the fest but also have had forecasts of absolute scorchio scenes.

Still far too early to say.  Another week and we'll start to have a bit of a clearer picture.

Cheers. After 2022 changed so much so late decided I wouldn't join this thread until the weekend before the festival this year. I did well to last until 7th June. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Cheers. After 2022 changed so much so late decided I wouldn't join this thread until the weekend before the festival this year. I did well to last until 7th June. 

I was trying to resist until closer to the festival too, but cracked last week!  Obsessing now.....

28 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

24 at Glastonbury is brutal

I'm always amazed at people who want "holiday in Spain" temperatures at a f**king massive festival.

Trekking around in that heat is absolutely horrendous. Sunburn at a festival is a pain in the ass, and your hangover is inescapable.

2011 was grim, just loads of people trying to find any bit of shade available (there isn't much). 

Nice partial cloudy 17-20 all day long for me

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Trekking around in that heat is absolutely horrendous. Sunburn at a festival is a pain in the ass, and your hangover is inescapable.

Use sun block, info stalls have it for free

Don't drink alcohol

44 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

A commendable effort.  I told myself I wouldn't obsessively check the GFS runs until it covered the entire festival yet here I am, letting my productivity go to sh*t as I pour over charts that I know are unreliable this far out.

Does break up the day though!

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So why not use sun block if sunburn is a worry?

What I found that helped massively was soaking my cap in water every time I walked past a water point.  Kept my head cool and did a job in tricking the rest of my body in forgetting that I was melting.

The heat does present it's own challenges but for the most part they can be mitigated as long as you're somewhat prepared.

Make sure you always have a full water bottle.  If you are drinking booze, make sure  you're matching it 1:1 with water.  Have a rehydration tablet in the day or at the very least, eat very salty things to keep your electrolytes right.