The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

17 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2009 - A mix of too hot & ok.

2010 - Too hot. Got ill. Horrendous. Ended up leaving after Stevie Wonder cos couldnt face waking up there again.

2011 - A laugh. Too hot sunday mind you.

2014 - Something for everyone. As hot as it gets on Fri afternoon & then a storm. 

2015 - Decent

2016 - I liked it. It didnt rain that much, but the place was saturated by the rain in the run up so the site was a bog. Which isnt good.

2017 - Too hot on the wed, but to be honest, the perfect festival weather afterwards. Dry, not THAT hot. Anyone moaning about it is pretty selfish. W

2019 - Too hot. Awful. If it didnt cool on Sat afternoon, not sure I'd have survived it 

2022 - Too hot Wednesday, but afterwards wasnt that bad. Bit hot overall, but I'd take that weather every year 

You need to find some shade bro. Bring a parasol in! 

4 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Reading all this chat about 2016 being a write off interests me greatly, are there any threads on here directly logging peoples time at that fest?

I was at 2016 and I just remember being exhausted all the time due to the sticky mud. I still enjoyed myself and have a vivid memory of watching ELO play Mr Blue Sky in the rain. 

My usual rule is - I don't care what the weather is like, as long as it isn't raining when I put my tent up. I'd take 2022 weather any day though.

I still maintain that Reading 2014 was the best weather I ever did at a festival, was dry and slightly overcast the entire weekend!

Meant you could wear trainers/sit on grass etc, there was no rain, but also no blazing sun burning everyone.

Win win.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Reading all this chat about 2016 being a write off interests me greatly, are there any threads on here directly logging peoples time at that fest?

Put it this way, we were on a coach coming into Pilton and was sitting in a massive queue of traffic for hours. I could've sworn Emily did a Tweet or IG post saying something along the lines of 'If you've not left, don't leave yet'. The floor was that fucked. It was Wednesday.

It was a bit miserable tbh. Brexit, mud and Coldplay. 

I remember being absolutely defeated come Sunday night of 2016.  Got back to the tent after a shambolic attempt at staying upright (I was bananas too so not blaming the mud entirely) on the walk back to Paines from the Pyramid and saying to my mates that at that point it was the most miserable I had ever felt at a festival (and I had survived the wet misery of 2005 and 2007 and scorching 2010 years).  

Utterly miserable.  

Give me 2017 weather any day.  It was perfection.  

9 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Put it this way, we were on a coach coming into Pilton and was sitting in a massive queue of traffic for hours. I could've sworn Emily did a Tweet or IG post saying something along the lines of 'If you've not left, don't leave yet'. The floor was that fucked. It was Wednesday.

It was a bit miserable tbh. Brexit, mud and Coldplay. 

image.png.27593dbe981eac9d800e7a26b68a8673.png

2016 basically gave me trenchfoot on the Saturday because my boots had sprung a leak, which left me hobbling in agony. 2019 I had to change plans of who I was seeing to get myself out of the sun for a bit but at least I was still enjoying myself.

2016 was not the worst / hardest I've been to but it was tricky to have fun. Was it 2005 that I'm thinking of that remains etched in my mind as starting raining on Thursday evening and I'm not sure it stopped once?

In a wet year definitely dial down your expectations - limit how much stage trudging you're planning to do and your legs and feet will thank you for it! 

Just now, cheesey_toastie said:

2016 was not the worst / hardest I've been to but it was tricky to have fun. Was it 2005 that I'm thinking of that remains etched in my mind as starting raining on Thursday evening and I'm not sure it stopped once?

In a wet year definitely dial down your expectations - limit how much stage trudging you're planning to do and your legs and feet will thank you for it! 

2007. Started raining on the Thursday afternoon and then rained/drizzled nearly constantly up to and including the monday morning.

2005 had a big fuck off downpour for about 4 hours on the thursday night / friday morning, which trashed the site for a couple days, but the actual weather was perfect aside from that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

2016 to me will always be the year of the contact lens.

got back to the tent at whatever time friday night / sat morning - proceeded to spend hours poking and scratching at my eyes trying to get my contact lenses out.

when the sun had come up i was such a watery eyed blind mess that i went up to the hospital tent at the top of the field to ask them to remove my lenses - to which i was told - "dude, there are no lenses in there".

shook me up so much i spent the WHOLE of saturday in my tent (from where i must admit i enjoyed Adele) and i have never worn contact lenses since!

all of which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the weather... so ... ummmm....  sorry 😀

1 minute ago, incident said:

2007. Started raining on the Thursday afternoon and then rained/drizzled nearly constantly up to and including the monday morning.

2005 had a big fuck off downpour for about 4 hours on the thursday night / friday morning, which trashed the site for a couple days, but the actual weather was perfect aside from that.

2005 I can recall sitting on the ground at the Pyramid field for Brian Wilson on the Sunday!

Was a rollercoaster weekend that's for sure. 🙂 

2016 was more of a chore than a pleasure. Worst part of it was not being able to sit down on the grass in between bands. We packed up on Sunday morning then watched 4 songs from Coldplay and decided we'd had enough. I was back in my own bed (after a long shower) by 1am and it was probably the comfiest sleep I've ever had.

My memories of 2016

The build was tough, we had loads of problems siting vehicles, ended up with caravans and vans having to stay on the side of the track leading from the top of Undleground to Shangri-La crew camping. Had a old American school bus stuck in the entrance to lower Dragon field.

The show days were fine though, no issues, and I was in a canvas bell tent that year.  

1 minute ago, theglastokid said:

2016 was more of a chore than a pleasure. Worst part of it was not being able to sit down on the grass in between bands. We packed up on Sunday morning then watched 4 songs from Coldplay and decided we'd had enough. I was back in my own bed (after a long shower) by 1am and it was probably the comfiest sleep I've ever had.

That's how I felt in 2010.