The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...yes definitely need to prepare...need to prepare for extremes...floods, heatwaves, droughts, famine, geopolitical and local instability, mass movement of people etc. For adaption maybe means rethinking town/city planning, white roofs, more greenery, more trees, more shade etc.  And at same time we need to invest to stop things getting worse, investing in renewables/nuclear, home/office insulation and more efficient heating/AC technologies, limit flying, stop use of fossil fuels. But, all of it costs, loads of money needs investing. And we are restricted by short term thinking driven by democracies, autocratic nationalist narcissist w*nk like Putin, populism everywhere and just loads and loads of dumbarse social media bollocks. So fuck all will happen. And the whole climate thing will probably end up being part of the culture war anyway, and the deniers will win, because their arguments are easy.

Hopefully some aliens will land and save us.

I love you sometimes 😉

6 hours ago, Reckoner said:

getting some 2016 PTSD looking at the pictures coming from Splendour in the grass in Byron Bay this morning. Makes all the quibbling about 19 vs 25 and 1-3ml of rain seem a bit pointless in hindsight. 

They’ve actually cancelled the first day of the festival now. 

Imagine stopping a festival just because it rained. 

tbf if theyre looking at 30ml of rain on to already saturated fields, its looking fairly shite for em. I'm obviously not the first person to ask this, but why is their festival in the absolute middle of southern hemisphere winter over there? 

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

tbf if theyre looking at 30ml of rain on to already saturated fields, its looking fairly shite for em. I'm obviously not the first person to ask this, but why is their festival in the absolute middle of southern hemisphere winter over there? 

bands availability...?

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

bands availability...?

It must be. Its normally january for day festival and gig season down under, but camping in 35 degree heat isnt much fun at all so they have to move it away from then - i cant help imagining that september/october would make a lot more sense in terms of it being post-european festival season, weather more predictable and temperate in oz, well away from christmas etc . . . 

Keep your eyes on the early August GFS… 40 appeared again!!!! 

Hopefully just a bias caused by the current climate, but either way, potentially more horrendously hot weather on it’s way! 

08085456-355A-4E41-8863-3C4FD541426C.png.e4452b8262682ad6ab4bd5c197088cdd.png

9D6E96EC-6C49-44CD-92A9-8949F35082F9.png.70b9b3065c51e35fe425755a9d1e3f3a.png

Edited by Alvoram

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Some people may not be aware just how close GFL were to cancelling the Festival after the storm in 2005.

There were lightning strikes on stages, several marquee roofs had to be slit to stop water collapsing them. All the electrics in the Dance Village (now Silver Hayes) were submerged and had to be replaced.

Edited by Skip997

31 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Some people may not be aware just how close GFL were to cancelling the Festival after the storm in 2005.

There were lightning strikes on stages, several marquee roofs had to be slit to stop water collapsing them. All the electrics in the Dance Village (now Silver Hayes) were submerged and had to be replaced.

I’d imagine 2016 came pretty close … with them asking people to delay arrivals 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d imagine 2016 came pretty close … with them asking people to delay arrivals 

Yea it did.

We had some trouble with siting live-in vehicles, Shangri-La crew camping is on a ridiculous slope, we just couldn't get vehicles in to that field. We tried to get some of them into Dragon Field (overflow for Green fields crew), then we got a bus stuck in the entrance, couldn't be moved.

We ended up with camper vans, caravans etc parked on the edge of tracks for the whole festival.

16 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Tell me how any transport is supposed to get around a festival site for logistics reasons. You want to tell me how medical personnel would get to an incident if they were stuck in a lake of mud? Yeah, the light bulb just went off....

Can confirm 29°c beating sun, windy festival punishing - played hunt the shade for a couple hours midday then had the van awning in & out more times than I care to count, setting on out about a foot to keep a bit of shade over van doorway but not flapping so much it feels like the van sill take off.

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Look how a little wind makes neonazi snowflakes lose it

They would literally of been blown away at Bearded Theory in 2009. A tornado ripped the top off the main stage and generally caused havoc. The festival just cleared it all away and carried on. I still have a "I survived the tornado" t shirt:-)