The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or lots of people coped fine in 2019. I remember it well. In fact there's TV footage of 10s of 1000s of people having a whale of time in front of El Pointo every day.

Of course there is. Didn't stopped any shaded areas being packed out until Sunday.

Anyway, we all have different tolerance levels, don't we. I remember you claiming 2019 was the best weather ever on the weather thread here that year, even though most people were disagreeing with you. To each their own.

7 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Anyone else being made to feel very uneasy by the run of good weather we’re having at the moment? Think we’re approaching 2 weeks without any rain of note in Bristol and the medium term forecast (the only forecast with any degree of accuracy) has nothing coming for the foreseeable. Makes me worry because it’s bound to rain at some point between now and the festival, right?! 

Needs to be sooner rather than later! 

Run of good weather? Not sure where you are in the country, but we've had a little bit of sunshine for about a week only. The rest of May has been miserable. And even though there's been sun, its been bloody windy and I've still needed a jumper on the school run!!! I'm in Suffolk, it's been a freezing May in my opinion. So one short week of windy sunshine hasn't unsettled me in the slightest. I'm still wondering where Spring is?! We've normally got Cherries on our tree by now, absolutely nothing!!

12 hours ago, Sheffield Steve said:

However, it continues to latch on to the theme that the Met Office has been hinting at, with unsettled (probably showery) conditions spreading in from the south. It predicts all of SW Europe having a wet week (green is above average rainfall):

IMG_4059.thumb.jpeg.f50e60b1c31187d2a4798ccd0f5864b2.jpeg

All to play for as we head into June next week…

Yep all seem to be saying the same now. 25 days out, doesn't look good does it. 

Its defo going to rain.

Still looking mostly dry out to the 4th June, when some showers are forecast in the afternoon.

The last two days of this month are looking breezy with F7 gusts. Don't be putting your marquee up between 29-30th May.

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Run of good weather? Not sure where you are in the country, but we've had a little bit of sunshine for about a week only. The rest of May has been miserable. And even though there's been sun, its been bloody windy and I've still needed a jumper on the school run!!! I'm in Suffolk, it's been a freezing May in my opinion. So one short week of windy sunshine hasn't unsettled me in the slightest. I'm still wondering where Spring is?! We've normally got Cherries on our tree by now, absolutely nothing!!

I’m in Bristol, about 25 miles from Pilton. It’s been like this since early/ mid-May. Although I do admit the rest of 2023 had been rubbish until we’ve had this spell. March and April were freezing! 

IMG_3670.png

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep all seem to be saying the same now. 25 days out, doesn't look good does it. 

Its defo going to rain.

You're totally right, spotting a pattern there... they are all saying similar and they're NEVER correct this far out. It's totally going to change and be Sunny then! Woohooo, it's looking good! 🌞 

23 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Anyone else being made to feel very uneasy by the run of good weather we’re having at the moment? Think we’re approaching 2 weeks without any rain of note in Bristol and the medium term forecast (the only forecast with any degree of accuracy) has nothing coming for the foreseeable. Makes me worry because it’s bound to rain at some point between now and the festival, right?! 

Needs to be sooner rather than later! 

I’m thinking (hoping), we get this sunny period out the way, followed by clearing it out with a few storms…. Then BINGO! Dry weather, not too hot, but absolutely no rain. That is my theory anyway and I’m going with it.  ️ 

• Like 1

The preferences are disproportionate though. 

If it's a scorcher, the sun is still guaranteed to go down so you can can come out in the evenings and overnight. You can sit down on the floor and rest, you can seek shade if you choose, drink more water.

If it's a mud fest, THERE'S NO ESCAPING IT. You can't sit down, you can't escape it by taking shade in a tent because the mud and damp is IN your tent too. And it's damp cold and wet 24/7

Sun wins in every scenario as the best case for everyone 🌞

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

If it's a scorcher, the sun is still guaranteed to go down so you can can come out in the evenings and overnight. You can sit down on the floor and rest, you can seek shade if you choose, drink more water.

If it's a mud fest, THERE'S NO ESCAPING IT. You can't sit down, you can't escape it by taking shade in a tent because the mud and damp is IN your tent too. And it's damp cold and wet 24/7

Exactly this. 

14 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Spot on

16 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Nail.  Head.

31 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

If its a scorcher, there is no shade. It's oppressive. It becomes dangerous due to the fact that you become ill without too much water. You cant actually enjoy yourself. You cant drink alcohol as it dehydrates further. A constant headache & the feeling of passing out constantly.

If it's cool, you can put a hoodie on.

I'll take the cool. If it rains, it rains.

2016 - Trainwreck. Ruined the whole festival.

2017- Nice. Well hot on that Wednesday tho

2019 - Bit too hot, went a bit lobster in the sun. Heat stroke central.

2021 - I remember watching The Smile on TV and looking out the window and it being PERFECT. So annoying.

2022 - Bit chilly but not bad.

2023 - Please no 2016.

Edited by PolygonWindow

Just now, PolygonWindow said:

2016 - Trainwreck. Ruined the whole festival.

2017- Nice. Well hot on that Wednesday tho

2019 - Bit too hot, went a bit lobster in the sun. Heat stroke central.

2021 - I remember watching The Smile on TV and looking out the window and it being PERFECT. So annoying.

2022 - Bit chilly but not bad.

2009 - A mix of too hot & ok.

2010 - Too hot. Got ill. Horrendous. Ended up leaving after Stevie Wonder cos couldnt face waking up there again.

2011 - A laugh. Too hot sunday mind you.

2014 - Something for everyone. As hot as it gets on Fri afternoon & then a storm. 

2015 - Decent

2016 - I liked it. It didnt rain that much, but the place was saturated by the rain in the run up so the site was a bog. Which isnt good.

2017 - Too hot on the wed, but to be honest, the perfect festival weather afterwards. Dry, not THAT hot. Anyone moaning about it is pretty selfish. W

2019 - Too hot. Awful. If it didnt cool on Sat afternoon, not sure I'd have survived it 

2022 - Too hot Wednesday, but afterwards wasnt that bad. Bit hot overall, but I'd take that weather every year 

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If its a scorcher, there is no shade. It's oppressive. It becomes dangerous due to the fact that you become ill without too much water. You cant actually enjoy yourself. You cant drink alcohol as it dehydrates further. A constant headache & the feeling of passing out constantly.

If it's cool, you can put a hoodie on.

I'll take the cool. If it rains, it rains.

And if its a scorcher, you can go and get naked up at lost horizons

The. sun. goes. down 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2010 - Too hot. Got ill. Horrendous. Ended up leaving after Stevie Wonder cos couldnt face waking up there again.

2014 - Something for everyone. As hot as it gets on Fri afternoon & then a storm. 

2015 - Decent

2016 - I liked it. It didnt rain that much, but the place was saturated by the rain in the run up so the site was a bog. Which isnt good.

2017 - Too hot on the wed, but to be honest, the perfect festival weather afterwards. Dry, not THAT hot. Anyone moaning about it is pretty selfish. W

2019 - Too hot. Awful. If it didnt cool on Sat afternoon, not sure I'd have survived it 

2022 - Too hot Wednesday, but afterwards wasnt that bad. Bit hot overall, but I'd take that weather every year 

Think you better give your ticket back. Seems to be a theme of it being too hot every year 😜

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2015 - Decent

2004 - Biblical rain Saturday night into Sunday. Freezing cold and muddy on Sunday. 

2005 - Thursday night the place turned into a lake. 

2007 - Rained non stop from Thursday night. Cold too.

2008 - Showery

13 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

And if its a scorcher, you can go and get naked up at lost horizons

The. sun. goes. down 😊

I'll be naked rain or shine 🙂 

(But yeah, sunny buns are happier buns)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2015 - Decent

2009 - Few showers and muddy at times but OK.  Too cool in the evening.

2010 - Very hot/dry.  Perhaps too much at times.

2011 - Mostly miserable.  Torrential Thur/Fri.  Quagmire Saturday.  Warm/dry Sunday.

2014 - Mixed with a big fuck off storm that fucked things.

2015 - Too cold and windy.

2016 - Swamp from day one.  Churned deep mud everywhere.  Showers all the time.  Fucking horrid.

2017 - Didn't go.

2019 - Wed-Thu hot but OK.  Fri- silly hot.  Sat-Sun cooler but still warm.  Dry all weekend.  Loved it.

2022 - V Hot weds.  Cooler after that but warm/dry.  Probably the closest to perfect conditions I've seen.

FTFY.