NYC Downlow - help me get in!

BristolJT

16 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I can't remember if they open the queue early but even if not you might want to linger in the general area. I think Thursday tends to be the busiest night as there's no competition with major stages in the evening so you'll definitely need to commit at least an hour before I expect?

Thanks, yeah sounds like a plan to me. Can think of worse places to kill time!

Last year it wasn't advertised but it opened on Wednesday at 9pm and stayed open until about 1 or 2am? Got in absolutely no problem, cos no-one was expecting it to be open. I'll be milling around there again around the same time this year on the Wednesday I reckon to see if it's the same.

50 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Last year it wasn't advertised but it opened on Wednesday at 9pm and stayed open until about 1 or 2am? Got in absolutely no problem, cos no-one was expecting it to be open. I'll be milling around there again around the same time this year on the Wednesday I reckon to see if it's the same.

Shhhh! Haha, let's not tell everyone! 😂

Never been in and it's a huge unticked box on my Glasto to do list.  I'd consigned myself to missing out again this year, but went out in Manchester last weekend for my wife's birthday and ended up in the gay village until almost 4:00am and had the BEST laugh ever, which is making me want to get in the Downlow even more.  As a straight couple though, I'd feel guilty about taking "spots" from someone who's queer, given how popular it is and how few alternatives are there dedicated to LGBTQ+.  I don't want to be a tourist.  Feel quite conflicted.

34 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Never been in and it's a huge unticked box on my Glasto to do list.  I'd consigned myself to missing out again this year, but went out in Manchester last weekend for my wife's birthday and ended up in the gay village until almost 4:00am and had the BEST laugh ever, which is making me want to get in the Downlow even more.  As a straight couple though, I'd feel guilty about taking "spots" from someone who's queer, given how popular it is and how few alternatives are there dedicated to LGBTQ+.  I don't want to be a tourist.  Feel quite conflicted.

honestly the respectful nature you’ve displayed in this response should ease your own conflict, it is a bit of a numbers game as if it was JUST full of respectful allies like yourself then it does defeat the purpose, but that seems unlikely. personally as long as you are clued up on who the space was created for and are respectful to those people and the way they use their space, I think you’re welcome. It’s the people who come and gawk like they are seeing zoo animals, or those who try to centre themselves in it that are a problem. See you there! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

honestly the respectful nature you’ve displayed in this response should ease your own conflict, it is a bit of a numbers game as if it was JUST full of respectful allies like yourself then it does defeat the purpose, but that seems unlikely. personally as long as you are clued up on who the space was created for and are respectful to those people and the way they use their space, I think you’re welcome. It’s the people who come and gawk like they are seeing zoo animals, or those who try to centre themselves in it that are a problem. See you there! 

Thank you. If you see a straight 49 year old guy dancing to any disco tune like a madman, that’s probably me! 😜

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Overheard some folks last year that were disappointed that they nixed the dark rooms.  didn't bother me, as I had covid on the mind, but I wonder if they'll be back.

I think so... hardly anyone has covid on their mind this year.  Also, you're more likely to catch it in the main room! 

13 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

As long as you show respect for the people & the music, no one is going to think you're taking up anyone's space.

When I went it felt 70% LGBTQ+ 30% Straight & everyone in there was bringing good vibes with them & that's all that mattered. 

• Upvote 1

We go every year always end up in somehow, sometimes 2 nights, go early during/before a headliner if you want to beat the ques.

If your just going to have a look at the venue its not really worth queing up, but have been to some amazing raves in there over the years, try and work out if the people playing when your planning on going will be to your taste.

I think they utilised the space better last year with improved seating to the left instead of wasted space that has been there some years, still think the main dancefloor could be expanded a little bit increasing capacity slightly.

On the flip side have never set foot in the rabbit hole, so will be braving the ques for there this year

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

When I went it felt 70% LGBTQ+ 30% Straight & everyone in there was bringing good vibes with them & that's all that mattered. 

The majority of the 30% straight people are actually a little bit gay anyway, if they're being honest, or they've had too many drinks! 

14 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Overheard some folks last year that were disappointed that they nixed the dark rooms.  didn't bother me, as I had covid on the mind, but I wonder if they'll be back.

Either a friend is lying to me but there were definitely dark rooms there last year.(not on the Wednesday). That or they were just very public with what they did and didn't realise. 🤣

19 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

Anyone recall if it was open on the Wednesday in 2022? Apols if already covered, I told my friend we should go then but he’s convinced the whole area is closed off on the Wednesday

2019 and 22 it was open on Wednesday but not advertised.

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's open - but I think it's a fetish night so YMMV on whether or not that's your cup of tea.

Went on Wednesday last year and it wasn't a fetish night. 

I went on Wednesday last year and didn't particularly enjoy it. Admittedly it wasn't going full throttle but it didn't feel very queer, in part because there were a lot of straight people moving through to "have a look", and personally it felt a little like a zoo and I was the exhibit. 

Heard good things about the other nights though. 

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Either a friend is lying to me but there were definitely dark rooms there last year.(not on the Wednesday). That or they were just very public with what they did and didn't realise. 🤣

I'm pretty sure there wasn't last year, but there are dressing room areas around and it has a back door into Maceo's so I guess there were things going on.

11 hours ago, brendan84 said:

Last Yr security bouncers were  taking bungs to let you in the back entrance by the outdoor smoking / toilet area if you wanted to skip the queue! 

Not to mention that that security guard was asleep half the time...