2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Just offering my personal opinion on the top 4 pal. I've already said I would have liked to see somebody like Lizzo bumped up, and you disagreed she was capable. That's your opinion and that's fine.

Lizzo's playing anyway.  Would it be better for her career to headline rather than sub?  Sure - but that's an odd priority for a ticketholder to have.

2 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Just offering my personal opinion on the top 4 pal. I've already said I would have liked to see somebody like Lizzo bumped up, and you disagreed she was capable. That's your opinion and that's fine.

The other day you said you got sick of doing the whole "who else would they book" bit, I'd argue that you do in fact love saying it.

Such is the cyclical nature of discourse on here we find ourselves repeating the same things over and over again.

People keep moaning about the headliners without acknowledging the lack of alternative acts available this year. When Lizzo, who is most likely subbing anyway, is being held up as the best alternative it only goes to prove my point…

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Not just talking legend, but headliners too.

Who else is there? Who is playing elsewhere that you think “I wish they were playing”?

Not necessarily all my thing but some better offerings IMO 

Shania Twain

Pink 

Harry Styles

Alanis Morrissette

Dionne Warwick

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Such is the cyclical nature of discourse on here we find ourselves repeating the same things over and over again.

People keep moaning about the headliners without acknowledging the lack of alternative acts available this year. When Lizzo, who is most likely subbing anyway, is being held up as the best alternative it only goes to prove my point…

I mean maybe I was harsh to have a pop at Glastonbury, given the brits were dominated by male artists it seems indicative of the wider problem that is still prevalent in the music industry.

But I don't think there's anything particularly wrong in saying it's disapointing that the top four are predominantly white old / middle aged men. It's ok to say that's a bit shit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

None of whom actually quite occupy the sweet spot of nostalgia, showmanship and gold-plated bangers that Rod delivers.

I think that's an opinions game. Rod's voice is shot which is why he's been doing terrible American songbook stuff for ages and I have never been much of a Rod fan anyway. I appreciate for some people it will be great but I'd actually prefer every single person I listed to him. 

Just now, FrancisH said:

I mean maybe I was harsh to have a pop at Glastonbury, given the brits were dominated by male artists it seems indicative of the wider problem that is still prevalent in the music industry.

But I don't think there's anything particularly wrong in saying it's disapointing that the top four are predominantly white old / middle aged men. It's ok to say that's a bit shit.

For fear of going around in yet another circle, I agree. Why not just take a punt and give the leg up to someone newer who may or may not smash it. I'd prefer that. Always makes it quite exciting to debate whether or not they'll be a flop too. Though I suppose the ticket price demands no flops. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Not just talking legend, but headliners too.

Who else is there? Who is playing elsewhere that you think “I wish they were playing”?

There are quite a few acts touring around Glastonbury who'd be a lot "fresher" and make the headline look more diverse. For example: Beyoncé, Pink, Florence, The 1975, Harry Styles, The Weeknd.

Most probably the festival tried to book some of these acts and wasn't successful in the end, fair enough. And we all know that there'll be so much going on and great alternatives to choose from when we arrive at the farm. But still, right now, discussing what looks like to be the biggest 3-4 acts on the poster, it doesn't look "Glastonbury-like". And it's ok to state that, even though each booking individually is a reasonable one.

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Shania, Harry and Pink all have their own shows for a start 

Of course they do pretty much everyone who plays Glastonbury will have their own show that's why I picked those names because they are out and about actively touring. There isn't much point in me listing all the people who I think are better but are not touring. 

AM, GnR, Elton and Rod all have their own shows as well. 

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Exactly.

They’ve still got three stadium fillers on the top line.

You’d think Michael has grabbed someone from the Pilton Dog & Duck open mic night.

And this is why I think there's a distinct lack of any other significant announcements to date. A first poster containing all the names, including big headline supports and a stacked undercard would be more powerful than drip-fed announcements in this case. There will be some dissatisfaction (regardless of the rationale of why we are, where we are) with the top four but maybe they'll reduce the noise with a strong initial poster?