Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

CMAT in Manchester magnificent. Each time I see her she’s getting better and better! Really hoping she’s back at Glasto in a decent slot! 

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

IMG_5252.jpeg

Also been at the CMAT gig, what a show! Tbh not listened to her much and was accompanying a friend but she was brilliant. I'd 100% go and see her again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Quark said:

How was BC Camplight @mario man?

It was a great night, thanks! I’ve been going to BC gigs for 5-6 years now, when he was playing tiny rooms, so to see him on that stage last night was pretty awesome. The solo he did at the end, which I hadn’t heard live before, was worth the entry fee alone

IMG_7252.jpeg

1 hour ago, mario man said:

It was a great night, thanks! I’ve been going to BC gigs for 5-6 years now, when he was playing tiny rooms, so to see him on that stage last night was pretty awesome. The solo he did at the end, which I hadn’t heard live before, was worth the entry fee alone

IMG_7252.jpeg

Lovely stuff.  I expected him to finish with Take Off, was a little disappointed as I love that track but the solo was a lovely alternative

Saw Deacon Blue at the Regal Theatre in Perth last night, the first of three shows here in Western Australia's biggest city, and it was... anemic.

I saw them the best part of a decade ago in Sheffield, and remember enjoying myself without being wildly impressed. I think I figured out why this time around; their sound on record just isn't translated with the requisite lushness live. Need either an extra guitarist or extra keyboard player. Otherwise, it can just feel a bit underwhelming. (A shame, as they have some lovely pop songs.)

Just now, lemons said:

"But I just can't do it" was belted out! Magic in there tonight.

Her and the band on fire and left the lot on that stage. Magic as you say 👏 See they were filming it. They’ll be hoping the roar that greeted the songs will come across on film. I’m hoping we weren’t caught dancing to the Spicers at the end 😂

On 11/25/2023 at 2:15 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Have to say I went with high expectations and she exceeded them. Been listening to the album non-stop since and even the ones I wasn’t too sure about on first listen have grown on me.

If Shania Twain ends up being the chosen one for the Sunday legend slot CMAT would be a hell of a warm up act for her!! I might even do fancy dress and go full on country! 

Third gig of the week on Saturday, knackered now! Dub Pistols supported by Barefoot Bandit. 

BB were decent fun, if you like Gentlemen's Dub Club then they'd probably be up your street. Nice shift from reggae to latino rhythms in the tracks, good fun.

Pistols were...well they were the Dub Pistols! I knew exactly what I'd get, and didn't disappoint. Sometimes you just want to go to a gig knowing full well you'll enjoy it, even if you've seen pretty much the same set a dozen times before. Hit the spot.

IMG_20231128_083843.jpg

20231126_075524.jpg

Edited by Quark
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2023 at 10:29 AM, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

BC camplight last night in Nottingham, started great but the solo piano stuff in the middle was just awful for me, some real stinkers in there.

Support band Personal Trainer were amazing though, shame they only had a 30min slot

Rock City is also a great venue, first time there

Personal Trainer just left me a bit cold tbh.  I know ppl rave about them a bit and I can see what they're up to, but didn't do much for me!

Paradise Lost in London last night.

I got a free ticket for this so figured I'd go along on something of a nostalgia trip - the last time I saw both these bands live was 31 years ago.

My Dying Bride: actually really enjoyed them, the most impressive thing was that Aaron's vocals were really amazing, sounded just as good now as all those years ago. yeah, enjoyed their set.

Paradise Lost: well, let me just say I got what I expected.

my thoughts on PL go something like this...

Lost Paradise - one of the greatest albums of all time

Gothic - at the time I loved it, but in hindsight I can't stand it as it pretty much invented crappy symphonic metal

Shades of God - for some reason at this point the decided they wanted to be Metallica

Icon - this is what I refer to as their "Nickelback" period (obviously I didn't think that at the time as it pre-dates Nickelback by some years, but I do find it funny how they ended up sounding like them and Nick Holmes even ended up looking like Chad Kroeger).

after that I lost interest and I don't believe I have heard anything they made after that.

so anyway - the gig last night was "30 years of Icon" - which is somewhat unfortunate seeing as Icon is sh*t.

but the real problem I think is that they are just so BORING.

every song sounds, literally, the same. there is zero variation - same tempo, same structure, I think even same chord progressions and same lead parts.

I was hoping for maybe one song from the first album, but alas.

everyone on stage looked bored too (well, except the guitarist on the right - to be fair he looked like he was having a great time).

I will say though, that I was obviously in a minority of one - the show was sold out and it looked like everyone else was absolutely loving it, so fair play, thats great - I just really don't understand what there was to get excited about!

but I guess I'm just a miserable old bastard.

so, at the start of this I said I got what I expected - I expected to see Nickelback, and I saw Nickelback... only far less interesting (yup, I've seen NB too for some reason).

also - £7.14 for a CAN of Carlsberg - I f**king hate the modern world.

Therapy? at Concorde in Brighton was awesome. Bloody love that venue, really friendly staff and nice crowd. Support band Bokassa were varied and good fun. Therapy? brought gorgeous energy and loudness and there were (for me) some less traditional gems in the setlist. However Potato Junkie, Teethgrinder and Nowhere blew my old man socks off 👍

• Upvote 1

October Drift at Moles Bath … cracking little underground venue … October Drift just returned to uk from subbing a venue in Paris with a 20k audience to playing a venue with a few hundred in attendance … levels just keep rising but I’m a bit biased so took along @fred quimby and hopefully he enjoyed it . Great energy and audience interaction as ever . Photo is kiwi lead singer and is how the usually start their gigs … in amongst the audience 

IMG_7469.jpeg

Billy Bragg - I've seen him umpteen times at festivals so knew exactly what I was going to get - and he didn't disappoint.  What I was impressed with though, was his 2 hour set and I heard a number of songs I'd never heard before and they were beautiful!  But as usual his gigs leave me feeling full of  fight and hope #GTTO!

On 12/2/2023 at 9:45 AM, -TLR- said:

Paradise Lost in London last night.

I got a free ticket for this so figured I'd go along on something of a nostalgia trip - the last time I saw both these bands live was 31 years ago.

My Dying Bride: actually really enjoyed them, the most impressive thing was that Aaron's vocals were really amazing, sounded just as good now as all those years ago. yeah, enjoyed their set.

Paradise Lost: well, let me just say I got what I expected.

my thoughts on PL go something like this...

Lost Paradise - one of the greatest albums of all time

Gothic - at the time I loved it, but in hindsight I can't stand it as it pretty much invented crappy symphonic metal

Shades of God - for some reason at this point the decided they wanted to be Metallica

Icon - this is what I refer to as their "Nickelback" period (obviously I didn't think that at the time as it pre-dates Nickelback by some years, but I do find it funny how they ended up sounding like them and Nick Holmes even ended up looking like Chad Kroeger).

after that I lost interest and I don't believe I have heard anything they made after that.

so anyway - the gig last night was "30 years of Icon" - which is somewhat unfortunate seeing as Icon is sh*t.

but the real problem I think is that they are just so BORING.

every song sounds, literally, the same. there is zero variation - same tempo, same structure, I think even same chord progressions and same lead parts.

I was hoping for maybe one song from the first album, but alas.

everyone on stage looked bored too (well, except the guitarist on the right - to be fair he looked like he was having a great time).

I will say though, that I was obviously in a minority of one - the show was sold out and it looked like everyone else was absolutely loving it, so fair play, thats great - I just really don't understand what there was to get excited about!

but I guess I'm just a miserable old bastard.

so, at the start of this I said I got what I expected - I expected to see Nickelback, and I saw Nickelback... only far less interesting (yup, I've seen NB too for some reason).

also - £7.14 for a CAN of Carlsberg - I f**king hate the modern world.

Being a miserable old bastard would feel like the perfect fit for a Paradise Lost / My Dying Bride gig 😄

Two names I haven't heard in ages