Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Cannibal Corpse in London on Saturday.

overall great night, really enjoyed it.

missed the first band.

second were a band called Ingested - young lads who were clearly very much enjoying being on the tour. nothing special but were good and i enjoyed their set.

then it was Dark Funeral - what to say about Dark Funeral? well... Dark Funeral were shit 30 years ago and Dark Funeral are still shit today.

you can tell Cannibal Corpse have been at this a long time - as soon as they came on stage they showed everyone how its done, they are great live.

i'm a Cannibal Corpse fan from the Chris Barnes days, i absolutely love the first three albums.

i have nothing against George Fisher though, i think hes a great singer and good frontman.

i've only ever seen them twice before - first time was in 1992, and the second i think was about 10 or so years ago.

the only complaint i could really level at Cannibal Corpse is that they are MAYBE phoning it in a bit after all this time - Corpsegrinder even made the EXACT same joke about headbanging (word for word) he did the last time i saw them.

also, after all my constant moaning about the absurd, disgraceful cost of merch - in the end i paid £35 for a t-shirt.

the bastards got me.

Saw Lottery Winners last Thursday in Leeds.

Easily the best gig I've ever attended at the Brudenell, and I've been to a lot of gigs there (back again tomorrow night to see Shonen Knife).

An incredible live band, great energy, funny, engaging, great choruses etc etc.. 

Last time I saw them was circa 2015, 30 ish people in a pub... Great to see them transform into the band they have become. 

Definitely try and see them at Avalon as they'll put on a proper show!

On 4/22/2023 at 2:46 PM, BlueDaze said:

saw October Drift in Peterborough last night... full on energy as normal..

They are back out for their last few dates of this tour in May.. Do yourself a favour and have a cheap (£13!) night out supporting a hard working band and a local small venue to boot.. 

October Drift - Spring UK & Ireland Tour | Event

Was talking to Chris ( drummer ) at work today and he was saying how great and nuts that Peterborough show was and one of his favourites ever . 

58 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Was talking to Chris ( drummer ) at work today and he was saying how great and nuts that Peterborough show was and one of his favourites ever . 

It has to be said last time they played there it was pretty empty but it was a decent crowd in this time and interesting quite a lot were wearing merch, so a good sign hopefully...

There was quite an excessive amount of crowd surfing this time, which is fine from Kiran as he is probably 7st wet thru... but Dan had a go and he is quite a unit..!  😂

On 4/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, sfroml said:

Easily the best gig I've ever attended at the Brudenell, and I've been to a lot of gigs there (back again tomorrow night to see Shonen Knife).

An incredible live band, great energy, funny, engaging, great choruses etc etc.. 

Last time I saw them was circa 2015, 30 ish people in a pub... Great to see them transform into the band they have become. 

Got them in Brighton on Thu night, keep hearing so many good things about their shows

On 4/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, sfroml said:

Seeing them in London on Sat, should be fun. Enjoyed them supporting Paul Heaton a couple of years ago

• Like 1

Saw Oracle Sisters on Friday night as Oslo Hackney, with support from Ryder the Eagle.

Brilliant gig, first time in that venue and it was a great space, nice bar and food downstairs.

Oracle sisters would be such a good act to have at a festival, nice summery vibes. Can imagine myself in a field in the sun floating about to their songs.

Flaming Lips, last night at The Troxy in that London.

They did what they do and they always manage to put a smile on the face. Played Yoshimi in full, then a 20 minute break, before back for another hour.

Liked the attention to detail with the confetti being pink robot shaped.

16 hours ago, MadDog29 said:

Saw Oracle Sisters on Friday night as Oslo Hackney, with support from Ryder the Eagle.

Brilliant gig, first time in that venue and it was a great space, nice bar and food downstairs.

Oracle sisters would be such a good act to have at a festival, nice summery vibes. Can imagine myself in a field in the sun floating about to their songs.

Just picked up on their new album courtesy of 6Music, never heard of them before that. It's good stuff!

• Like 1

Few gigs from this year.

Priestgate at Rainbow in Brum. When we entered the venue the lead singer was asleep on a bench near the door. He roused himself come curtain and put on a right old show. Seem like nice lads and I hope they do well on the festival circuit this summer. Think the singer will be quite popular once the right people get a look at him. Support was from Bleach Lab. My mind wandered off for most of that. Pretty boring.

1616481469_20230210_213648(1).thumb.jpg.d74864dcc6113110e63fad647a9f7773.jpg

Carly Rae Jepsen at the Institute in Brum. Must've been due to scheduling but the venue was way smaller than what it should've been. Absolutely heaving and hard to get a good sightline, but she was so lovely and the band played a lot of songs, giving us a choice between Your Type and Cry, and then just doing both anyway. Shame she's so rare over here.

20230211_210922.thumb.jpg.0d6fb243cc326e20e58ee2ed73053655.jpg

ABBA Voyage. Everyone says how great this is, and maybe I should've tempered my expectations. When they were 'on stage' they were just a better version of the Boy George and Tim Burgess 'holograms' at the Liverpool museum of rock and roll. Very hard for me to get absorbed. It's like an IMAX version of a gig. Voulez-Vous was banging tho.

Etta Marcus at the Hare and Hounds, Brum. Dunno what to say. Couple of decent songs performed decently.
20230306_221411.thumb.jpg.bd78da893f575b53f68eb9a22e01701a.jpg

Yours Truly at the Asylum in Brum. A wet thursday night, 6 days later than scheduled, following an afternoon-of cancellation the previous friday - a fact which was reflected in the lack of people in the room. Australian pop-punk of the Stand Atlantic variety. Great songs. Opener was Lizzy Farrall, who I've been waiting to see for 3 years, since the release of her EP. Confident and showy, she's something else entirely. Other support was the nondescript South Arcade.

20230316_213918.thumb.jpg.f8694042638b9df20432a342717d0510.jpg

20230316_195837.thumb.jpg.3f09a53f84d821caa8f7b41e14d6acc6.jpg

Paramore at the NIA in Brum. From the opening punch of 'You First' it was pure rapture. It was symbiotic how Hayley's energy and the audience's fed off each other. Someone in the queue for the bar behind me said the only Paramore song she knows was Decode, and that's because it was in Twilight. £68 a ticket.

20230422_222254.thumb.jpg.639be8b31de8df56b91d5e85d4185171.jpg

Support was Bloc Party, becoming the act with the longest gap between gigs for me (2004 and 2023). They were good, and Flux was very nice. 'This Modern Love' is still clearly a remake of Pretty Girls Make Graves' 'This is Our Emergency' (although now, as then, who would really notice?)

20230422_201411.thumb.jpg.45ceb89db6d390af9c0b5d34f728cbdb.jpg

• Upvote 1