2023 Festival

TheWaters

Yknow as much as I enjoyed myself this year

they very seriously need to address the shit that’s been going on this year. Not a single mention of anything on social media, not even of the boy that died at leeds. Nothing. 

they’re acting like life is peachy but almost every video and story I’ve seen online is just “reading and leeds is a shit hole”

15 minutes ago, JamieB1830 said:

they very seriously need to address the shit that’s been going on this year. Not a single mention of anything on social media, not even of the boy that died at leeds. Nothing. 

they’re acting like life is peachy but almost every video and story I’ve seen online is just “reading and leeds is a shit hole”

They do need to address it, but they won’t. They don’t need to share it on social media but just a statement on the news page of the website would be a start: ‘we’re aware of a number of issues at R&L this year and planning is already underway to ensure a better safer, and more comfortable R&L returns in 2023. If you would like to report anything to us, email…’  

16 minutes ago, JamieB1830 said:

It was similar when T in the Park started to unravel, they were having issues on multiple fronts but their social media was living on a different planet, and it just meant when things got more serious people didn't trust them to do anything about it.

Mentioned it in the lost thread, but them tweeting the fire emoji on Sunday night, a couple of hours into the stream of reports abut tent fires, then following it up with "remember to take your tent home", then deleting that and tweeting "be safe and take your tent home" after people had replied to the first one with pictures of burnt out tents, was a poor run of PR.

17 minutes ago, Sorcha17 said:

Tried to be realistic on this.

fieoc3ihluk91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I agree with a lot of the support acts - think you’ve done a really good job here picking subs etc.

Not too sure about Kendrick, but I don’t know how long he is planning to tour this album. It would fit the trend of having one act who headlined Glastonbury the previous year.

I would be inclined to switch him with Eminem tbh.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Could they drop camping as an option? If most of the problems are around that, it might be easier to nix it and offload the problem to somewhere else. Day tickets always sell pretty strongly as long as each day has a good headliner attached. 

No. 

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Could they drop camping as an option? If most of the problems are around that, it might be easier to nix it and offload the problem to somewhere else. Day tickets always sell pretty strongly as long as each day has a good headliner attached. 

Talk about cutting off the leg to save the foot from a bad toe, Jesus. 

Edited by BenG92
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeanoL said:

That will never happen, it's part of the attraction for most people, and removing camping would price out most of the crowd.  Plus at Leeds at least the infrastructure isn't there to move that many people in and out of the current site every day, they can barely cope as it is.

5 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Not sure what time Monday this drone footage actually taken but it’s as bad as I’ve ever seen it. Nothing they can do though stop you leaning your tent either

Absolutely disgusting, that part of the site it's clear more people have left their tent than taken it home.

6 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Absolutely disgusting, that part of the site it's clear more people have left their tent than taken it home.

They posted that at 10am Monday morning. So assume it was taken the very latest 9:30am

How many people are packed up and gone by then usually. 

It may well be that bad. That video in no way proves it though

Time to post some of my standout acts I reckon! I’m going to do it day by day. 

FRIDAY 

100 gecs - Absolutely unbelievable. Until BMTH on Sunday, they were my #1 set by a mile. It was chaos but also so much fun. I’ll remember this set for the rest of my life. 9/10

Run The Jewels - Small crowd but everyone down the front section was really up for it. So many bangers. 7/10

Halsey - She was phenomenal. One of the most engaging and impressive headline sets I’ve ever seen. She went all out and it was just fantastic from beginning to end. I’m not massively into her but I am going to keep an eye out for any future tour dates for sure. She smashed it. 8/10

The 1975 - In a class of their own. 2019 was the second best headline set I’ve ever seen and is in my top 5 gigs ever so they had a lot to live up to. Whilst it didn’t quite hit the heights of that set, it was still an utterly brilliant 9/10 festival headline set. That’s what you call a greatest hits set. They are just one of the best bands on the planet for me. I had such a lovely time dancing about and singing my heart out with my mates. This was the most feel-good set of the weekend. I fucking adore this band. 9/10

SATURDAY

Joey Valence & Brae - I missed the first 5 minutes but legged it to the tent as they were playing Punk Tactics. They were SO good. The energy was insane. I’d love to see these guys on a Main Stage. 8/10 

All Time Low - I was not expecting to enjoy their set as much as I did. This was one of the best of the weekend and it was pure nostalgia. Me and my mates had a great time in the sun belting out the oldies. They had a decent sized crowd too which was a pleasant surprise. 8/10 

Little Simz - The Queen. I don’t need to say any more. 8/10 

FEVER 333 - Packed tent, awesome pyro and CO2 and a really rowdy crowd going for it from start to finish. I was so pleasantly surprised as I expected the tent to be bed. A really great way to end the night. 8/10

SUNDAY

Enter Shikari - My favourite band ever who mean such a lot to me for many reasons, I was always going to have a blast. I cried like a baby at many, many points because of how happy they make me. Set was too short though so I’m really looking forward to Slam Dunk. 8/10  

Bring Me The Horizon - Stunning. That’s a headline set. The production, setlist choices, crowd, performance. Everything was perfect. I cannot wait for them to smash Download next year. They had a great crowd at Leeds and it was so, so satisfying to see them finally headlining. 10/10. 

Arctic Monkeys - They are not an engaging or interesting live band anymore. They just aren’t. The crowd thinned out a lot where I was because people were clearly bored. However… they have so many bangers. SO MANY. They also played quite a bit from Humbug which is my favourite album so I loved those moments. I was also a bit pissed by then too so I did enjoy myself a lot but there’s no escaping the fact that they constantly seem like they’d rather be anywhere else than performing. 7/10 

Overall, the quality of performances this year was outstanding. I genuinely didn’t watch anyone who I thought was shit. The Friday was the best first day I’ve ever had at the festival in terms of everyone I saw delivering the goods. It was a brilliant day. 

Megan Thee Stallion seemed to be on stage for about half an hour but had a massive crowd. I enjoyed what I saw but it’s not really for me. 

I stuck around for the first 10 mins of Dave but I just wasn’t feeling it. I just fancied ending my day with some rowdiness so I went along to see FEVER 333. 

Bru-C isn’t for me at all and I don’t really know what an act like that is doing differently to any random DJ playing the after hours entertainment. 

BBNO$ also wasn’t for me and if I had to pick a worst act of the weekend, this would be it. I just found it a bit crap and it was like watching karaoke at points. 

Glass Animals played the same song for 40 minutes before playing the only song anyone around me was there for. 

But yeah, this was an elite-tier Leeds Festival for me and I would place it in my Top 5 ever. Possibly Top 3. After hating last year, it’s reignited my love for the festival and I can’t wait for next year. Hopefully the lineup has as much I want to see as this year. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jj200 said:

Mse headliners 

Friday: green Day 

Saturday Calvin Harris 

Sunday: Liam Gallagher 

Msw headliners

Friday fall out boy 

Saturday courteeners 

Sunday Sam fender 

Also playing Friday are Weezer who will be subbing green Day on mse.

No female headliner? Doubt it. 

9 hours ago, swede said:

I went 2003-2008 when I was in my early 20's. The Sunday of 2008 was the worst id ever seen, I went back camping in 2011 in tangerine fields and the festival had put safety measures in place to try to minimize the crazy sunday behavior and it seemed to work. 

I've never been camping since but have done 1-2 days in 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, getting the shuttle bus in and staying in a hotel and its the only way I would do it now. I took my kids in 2019 on the sunday to see Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots and it was one of the friendliest Leeds crowds I've ever been in. 

I think this year could have been a combination of things on the last night. Hot weather all weekend, high prices for booze, the 1st one after the pandemic with zero restrictions, and the woodstock 99 documentary, all creating this storm where people went wild. Id expect people to be much calmer next year. 

I had friends who camped at Leeds all weekend and they had a great time. 

I'm 40 so will never camp at Leeds again, however Id def do a day next year if Kendrick got announced, saw him headline in 2018 and again the vibe in the crowd was fantastic. 

Mega post this - whoops!

Only quoted this to say the alcohol prices are always horrendous for someone who's 16-20. We never drank in the arena aged 17 and aged 20 (the 2 years i went), everyone just smuggles drinks in so it doesn't make a difference.

6 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Not sure what time Monday this drone footage actually taken but it’s as bad as I’ve ever seen it. Nothing they can do though stop you leaning your tent either

Eco bonds seem to work at Boomtown, no reason why they cannot be replicated

5 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It’ll keep happening too and all parties are fine with it. FR, the local councils, the two festival sites all know it’ll happen and all are happy to it to happen year after year. It’ll never change

It’s the dead simple things - put your tent up properly, don’t camp next to a main walkway/the big hill/relentless/the rides. You’re asking for your tent to be trampled if you do that

There's always got to be someone by the walkway.

3 hours ago, K2SO said:

I worked at the festival this year, and I have to say that 99% of people I dealt with were pleasant. There were a couple of dickheads, but you'd get that no matter where you go.

However, the camp site was actually vile. Whenever I wanted to go into the arena to watch anything, I purposely left the site and walked around the river to get in whilst going through a minimal amount of the camp.

As for next year, I think that the double main stage thing might change because there's been a lot of negative feedback about it, and honestly I believe it's a safety nightmare waiting to happen. I also wouldn't be shocked if we see something a bit stricter come in to try and crack down on the trouble and destruction. Maybe allocated pitches so they know where everyone is camping or a strict 18+ only policy.

In terms of headliners, I actually think The 1975 may well come back. It's not unheard of for R+L to re-book an artist for consecutive festivals, seeing as they booked Post Malone in 2019 and 2021. I fully expect Kasabian to be there but otherwise I feel like R+L is basically unpredictable... Maybe Courteeners, seeing as they're announcing a St Jude 15th anniversary thing tonight. However, the majority of punters from what I noticed this week do not really care what's booked. They just watch whatever is on and enjoy themselves.

2019 and 2021 is slightly different to 2 years literally back to back. there's tons of acts about, theres no way 1975 will be back again

2 hours ago, Sorcha17 said:

Tried to be realistic on this.

fieoc3ihluk91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

This is very solid just a few things - mostly on the dance names.

I think Bicep are done for now, they could probably be persuaded to do it but i think they are likely finished with this cycle having just headlined about 10 UK festivals this summer

Peggy Gou and Fred are too big to headline the dance tent i'd argue (guessing thats where they are meant to be) and assuming Camelphat is the other headliner this also looks unlikely as usually at least 1 of them is dnb. Bicep into Fred would be a fantastic night though i must admit!

HOW DID I FORGET PENDULUM!? 

They were absolutely immense. I’ve never seen them before and Rou from Shikari said about their set on stage. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve said many times in the past that Pendulum sound dated but I take every single word back. Their set was an all-timer for me. Fucking BRILLIANT. We had such a blast for the half hour we stayed for before going to BMTH. I want to see them again immediately. 9/10

Edited by Andre91

9 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Melvins said to NME that he’s booked 3 and a half headliners, half meaning who knows what

I remember when Melvin said (talking about 2021's headliners) they were all first time headliners. They obviously weren't as Post Malone had headlined in 2019. Also said that there was only one headliner carried over from 2020, when there was actually two, with Liam and Stormzy. He must of been on some substances during that interview, he hasn't got a clue what's going on these days.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-festival-boss-2021-line-up-tickets-testing-melvin-benn-interview-2739191

50 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Melvins said to NME that he’s booked 3 and a half headliners, half meaning who knows what

It means:

“We’ve booked three and a half headline acts,” he said. “Three are booked and one is pretty close to finishing. There’s the current usual back and forth about how many pounds or dollars they should get and that sort of stuff.

“In theory, we’ve nearly got four done but we’re not quite done with the fourth.”

Asked how many of those acts had headlined R+L before, he replied: “Two of those four have.”

Edited by SweetJesus