2023 Festival

TheWaters

3 hours ago, wro_lap said:

That's left a really sour taste in my mouth. I'm a real fan of this year's lineup and after Healy's recent behaviour I can't help but feel like that's a dampener on it.

And yes I'm being serious, I know the lineup isn't to everyone's taste and that's fine. But booking them to headline two years in a row is pathetic

What’s this “behaviour”? I’m out of the loop

7 hours ago, gfa said:

Knucks will do a proper set. definitely an in demand act

i doubt the 1975 will be less than like 80 mins, they can just knock 5 mins off the first few acts to play if necessary

Yeah, I reckon the 1975 get 80 minutes, their self titled is around 50 minutes or just over so that's a good half hour to play some more bops

22 hours ago, danz026 said:

What’s this “behaviour”? I’m out of the loop

He has history of being a pillock as someone has sent you an article on - but the main headline being the fact he was outwardly racist on a podcast lately, and after getting called out for it by Rina Sawayama, he's backed himself rather than apologising. Weirdly a lot of their fans have brushed it under the carpet or defended it as "satire". I know it's not that deep, but Reading booking him after that feels a little bit like condoning it

20 hours ago, Rotinajer said:

The Saturday is unbelievable value for money now. 1975 and The Killers.

After previously deciding I wouldn’t be going back this year, I bought a ticket instantly when I saw the announcement. 

Me too mate, me too

Let’s face it matty Healy has always been a bit of a problematic character but it’s not like this is unacknowledged by his fans or the band themselves - in fact they’ve turned it into a bit (before it’s not living if it’s not with you he ‘pretends’ to start to say something outrageous and then is cut off by the guitar player opening riff)

the thing is it’s always been a problem and should be condoned but it’s also never really been a problem in terms of booking them. By the time r&l comes round people will have forgotten about that podcast comment (or he’ll have said something else)

Rina won’t be pleased though

1 hour ago, Will b said:

By the time r&l comes round people will have forgotten about that podcast comment

This is the biggest problem of all. He says these things without consequence and people go “ah that’s just Matty for you” and get on with it.

The fact that he and his fans are willing to die on the hill that racism is acceptable is gross

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sacred shape said:

That's obviously a bit... Same song every time

Totally is a bit but that shows you that even the band aknowledge his behaviour but don’t seem to worry about it 

2 hours ago, wro_lap said:

The fact that he and his fans are willing to die on the hill that racism is acceptable is gross

For sure - and as long as the fans support him festivals will keep booking the 1975 

I like their music and I enjoyed their performance last year but on no level would I support who matty is as a person or excuse his behaviour, and I think on the back of these comments they shouldn’t have been booked this year 

Edited by Will b
  • Upvote 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:23 PM, gfa said:

I get that he has been a dick (though like someone earlier said, more out of trying to look edgy than anything else) but come on. Being pally with someone who called Taylor Swift, a millionaire pop superstar from an affluent background privileged, is "indefensible"? Really? What's with this recent trend of journalists making out like super rich figures in contemporary pop culture are sacred cows who should be mollycoddled any time someone directs criticism at them?

Edited by VCK

9 hours ago, Will b said:

Totally is a bit but that shows you that even the band aknowledge his behaviour but don’t seem to worry about it

It isn't about his "behaviour" though, is it?

It's about controversy in general and subjects & topics where conversations are shut down and deliberately taken out of context.

So literally aimed at people like you.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

It isn't about his "behaviour" though, is it?

It's about controversy in general and subjects & topics where conversations are shut down and deliberately taken out of context.

So literally aimed at people like you.

My recommendation for Healy is next time he’s on a podcast don’t be racist then nobody will take the racist thing he said out of context and call him racist

• Upvote 4