2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Ive just Spotifyed them and found that ive always thought Foals were Mumford and Sons. That's even worse.

“Special guest: Marcus Mumford” honestly wouldn’t surprise me at this point 

Edited by Will b

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Tbf he’s not really headlining is he.  They’ve introduced a 2nd stage and invented 6 headliners . What you’ve really got is 3 headliners and 3 subs.  Capaldi, Foals, ID as subs isn’t bad 

It wouldn’t be if it was not at the sacrifice of 15 other acts a day

This lineup confirms for me, Reading Leeds doesn't carer for music lovers or fans of a specific genre. 

It's all a marketing gimmick to sell more tickets. 

They put the most basic, inoffensive acts available that are as cheap as they can get without showing they're embezzling all the ticket sales.

The goal is to sell weekend tickets and not cater to music tastes, they put bands that you want to see which are the same genre and spread it across the weekend. That way you will spend 75% of your down time buying food and drinks from their partners.

They only choose music that appeals to 16 year olds that they've heard on Tik Tok or Radio 1, or the 4music channels daily top 10 at 6pm (does that exist anymore).

When I was 16, this was the lineup... The Killers were the teen angst band, like Billie is now, and Tenacious D was a film duo, but the rest is just good music....or is it rose tinted glasses?

Reading-2008.jpg

5 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

The goal is to sell weekend tickets and not cater to music tastes, they put bands that you want to see which are the same genre and spread it across the weekend. That way you will spend 75% of your down time buying food and drinks from their partners.

Capitalist business in money making shocker 

Edited by NoBuses

1 hour ago, wghennessy said:

Has anyone ever thought that people claiming to know the line up are chatting absolute bollocks? Sure there could have been drop outs but KSI? Come on now.

I mean really how many of us have links to know this information before the press?

Makes you wonder if it was put out there as a feeler to grab opinion

Its funny how we almost normalised it into being OK!

As it stands it would have at least been slightly interesting

Reckon he would’ve been a great R1 headliner against The Killers in the old formst

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That explains everything, tik tok has been the death of this festival the last two/three years

Aye but it's not the only festival following that trend.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

Broco into Thieves into Foals is a great top three for a stage on one day so of course they put them all on different days.

Grennan and Yungblud both have arena tours in Feb/March so they'll probably get announced after.

You may get Grennan but don't think you'll get Yungblud now. He's big enough to be a sub. Tbf as well, it's the biggest overall set of MSW headliners they've had since this format.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

'Great working class lad'. I watched his Glasto set on TV. Fucking boring as sin. 

Let's be honest, you look at the Download lineup and say wow. Reading primarily isn't going to be for you now, I was about your age when I accepted that.

Having paid for and come from the US for each festival over the last 7 years, I’d literally pay £300 to not go this year!

After not missing a festival in 26 years I’m done. 

And I know I bang in and on about it but I think -

Fender/ Eilish/ Killers would’ve been a strong set of headliners in the old format

A run of Slow Thai > Central Cee > Capaldi > Killers is just utterly bizarre when there is no alternative in the tent. Where is the choice?! It’s no longer a festival  

Imagine how excited it would have been to see Central Cee headline the tent vs The killers.

Having to make that choice was a huge part of the festival. Replaced now with a frantic dash to see Capaldi play the one song your mum loves

Edited by Benj

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You may get Grennan but don't think you'll get Yungblud now. He's big enough to be a sub. Tbf as well, it's the biggest overall set of MSW headliners they've had since this format.

Let's be honest, you look at the Download lineup and say wow. Reading primarily isn't going to be for you now, I was about your age when I accepted that.

I havent heard that YB is playing  BUT with the arena tour on sale they wouldnt announce it until then I wouldnt have thought.

43 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

This lineup confirms for me, Reading Leeds doesn't carer for music lovers or fans of a specific genre. 

It's all a marketing gimmick to sell more tickets. 

They put the most basic, inoffensive acts available that are as cheap as they can get without showing they're embezzling all the ticket sales.

They only choose music that appeals to 16 year olds that they've heard on Tik Tok or Radio 1, or the 4music channels daily top 10 at 6pm (does that exist anymore).

When I was 16, this was the lineup... The Killers were the teen angst band, like Billie is now, and Tenacious D was a film duo, but the rest is just good music....or is it rose tinted glasses?

Reading-2008.jpg

If they wanted what i bolded they wouldn't have got Imagine Dragons to sub - they can't be super cheap surely.

6 minutes ago, Benj said:

Having paid for and come from the US for each festival over the last 7 years, I’d literally pay £300 to not go this year!

Fender/ Eilish/ Killers would’ve been a strong set of headliners in the old format

A run of Slow Thai > Central Cee > Capaldi > Killers is just utterly bizarre when there is no alternative in the tent. Where is the choice?! It’s no longer a festival  

Imagine how excited it would have been to see Central Cee headline the tent vs The killers.

Having to make that choice was a huge part of the festival. Replaced now with a frantic dash to see Capaldi play the one song your mum loves

This would have been an absolute disaster crowd control wise

----

Good to see the BBC has solved the north-south divide

image.png.7584d570646d7512823703b2ea65396b.png

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

R&L has always had enough to justify me going, all the way up until this year. This lineup is barren. I'm going to go to Bloodstock instead so at least I'll have something in August 🙂 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

This would have been an absolute disaster crowd control wisE

People always say stuff like that but it always works itself out.

Killers would attract enough away for it to be rammed to the point of electric but not dangerous. 

21 Pilots vs Disclosure is the worst I saw of late absolutely mobbed but in no way dangerous

Similarly Broco headlining the pit would not be dangerous.  They barely filled it when they did their secret set a couple of years ago against some no marks on the main stage. Up against Eilish, they’ll struggle to make it look busy

I personally cannot wait to be singing along to Imagine Dragons in the sun.

Thunder, thunder
Thunder, thun-, thunder
Thun-thun-thunder, thunder
Thunder, thunder, thun-, thunder
Thunder, feel the thunder
Lightning and the thunder
Thunder, thunder
Thunder

Absolute banger,

Just now, wghennessy said:

I personally cannot wait to be singing along to Imagine Dragons in the sun.

Thunder, thunder
Thunder, thun-, thunder
Thunder, thunder, thun-, thunder
Thunder, thunder
Thunder

Absolute banger,

I do actually love that one to be fair 🤣

I suppose it's quite clever what they've done here. Two festivals in one, one for (contextually) older crowd with the headliners, and then you jam every sub together into its own festival for the yoof. They can end their nights on Steve Lacy / Loyle Carner / Central Cee and then bugger off back to the tents. 

57 minutes ago, Benj said:

If I were in the USA I’d be heading to Shaky Knees over this. Class lineup!

Edited by FeverDream