2023 Festival

TheWaters

I'm just wondering what acts like Trippie Redd and Chase Atlantic did in the past few months/years to deserve their spots... They've been around for quite a while and their biggest hits seem to be 3/4+ years old and their new stuff doesn't get the same amount of views/streams as their previous work. What makes them logo acts then?

Edited by Newjem

I can say for a fact Steve Lacy was meant to be Rex Orange County.

Unsure where Yungblud went as he was definitely subbing. Aitch too. Don Broco I'd heard were playing 3rd down with Idles aswell.

I THINK Paramore were swapped last minute with Imagine Dragons.

I guess prior to announcement it is all chopping and changing. The announcement is the "lock it in" moment.

All in all, my mate gave me 80% correct info so I'm happy with that. 

However, in the top 18 you have:

4 x One man and his guitar (Fender, Lacy, Capaldi, Mckenna)

2 x American Stadium Rock (Killers, Dragons)

3 x Autotune 'lil' rap acts (Tjay, Trippie, Chase)

1 x Grime (Cee)

3 x Radio friendly pop (Billie, Becky, WL)

1 x Dance (Bicep)

---------4 x what the festival should be about

1 x British folk (Foals)

1 x British rock (NBT)

1 x British punk (Slowthai)

1 x BritishRap (Loyle Carner)

Edited by Chad888

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That is an abysmal lineup and by far the worst since I've been going. Who is Steve Lacy? Who are Lil TJAY and Chase Atlantic? Why are they playing such high positions? Horrendous. 

Ask Radio 1

I had to Spotify them as I'd never heard them. All the ones you mentioned are ones I've clicked across to R1 and they've been on (never had any idea who).

Basically, they would have played mid R1 tent before.

The thing that strikes the most is how uninspired the line up is. I mean, it’s not bad in terms of acts being too small to headline. Billie, The Killers and Capaldi are all big enough. Imagine Dragons have the numbers, although maybe not as popular here as they are in the states. Foals have co-headlined before and Fender definitely deserves a shot. It’s just there’s nothing special there. 

I saw The Killers last year on their extensive uk stadium tour with Sam Fender as support and went to Latitude which had both Foals and Lewis Capaldi (saw Foals who were great and skipped Capaldi for Phoebe Bridgers.) Which just goes to say that these are all acts you could have  seen elsewhere. Last year RandL had the only Arctic Monkeys show of the year after a lengthy absence, and Rage would have been their first UK show in ages. Massive coups for the festival. 

This along with the lack of Rap and heavier headliners really takes the excitement out of it. I know people saw that the demographic has changed and that the fest doesn’t cater for heavier music anymore but last year they were supposed to have Rage and BMTH, the year before they had Biffy, the year before that they had Foo’s. This year just feels so middle of the road.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I can say for a fact Steve Lacy was meant to be Rex Orange County.

Unsure where Yungblud went as he was definitely subbing. Aitch too. Don Broco I'd heard were playing 3rd down with Idles aswell.

I havent heard anything about YB subbing, im not sure where your info is from?

I mean regardless thats the worst line up ive ever seen, like it isnt even close.

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Not "bad", just incredibly dull. Very rare that I have no interest in a day ticket for LnR. Who on earth is Lewis Capaldi and Imagine Dragons for? Mums taking their kids? 

Bicep in the sunshine is the dumbest shit ever.

@WhoOdyssey your, uh, source wasn't super reliable in the end eh

To be fair 3 of the headliners from them were right, especially as I think most here had ruled out Sam Fender at the time.

God knows what happened with KSI, and Green Day are rumoured to have pulled out - so not bad overall, thank you very much!

Billie Eilish & The Killers are the two strongest names on the bill but have toured extensively in the UK in recent years. Unless 2023 is your first venture into gigs/festivals, you've already had an opportunity to see them. 

Lewis Capaldi is middle of the road but a major name, so is the least contentious on the bill for me. 

Foals and Sam Fender.. fine. As glorified subs they're passable but very uninspired. 

Imagine Dragons are just rubbish, no way around it.

Edited by JSmurphy

17 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I'm just wondering what acts like Trippie Redd and Chase Atlantic did in the past few months/years to deserve their spots... They've been around for quite a while and their biggest hits seem to be 3/4+ years old and their new stuff doesn't get the same amount of views/streams as their previous work. What makes them logo acts then?

Chase Atlantic’s biggest song ‘Swim’ is from 2017, but it blew up on TikTok only this year.

• Thanks 1

Being a fan of this festival has been like going through the five stages of grief, and I think I've finally arrived at acceptance. The festival I loved is gone and never coming back, and I'm glad we've finally got to a point where there's not even a pretence of it still being even vaguely a rock event.

The last few years have had just enough to keep me interested in maybe potentially going, stringing me along with the likes of Bring Me The Horizon, Rage Against The Machine, A Day To Remember, Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro giving me too much FOMO to check out completely, but we're past that now. It's not just a bad run of form, it won't get better. It's over.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wghennessy said:

Has anyone ever thought that people claiming to know the line up are chatting absolute bollocks? Sure there could have been drop outs but KSI? Come on now.

I mean really how many of us have links to know this information before the press?

Great guessing from me over the years if I’ve been lying then!