2023 Festival

TheWaters

11 hours ago, FeverDream said:

I’ve only been around on this forum for about 5 years in various accounts over the years, but I can imagine forums being a lot busier a decade ago. I suspect the rise of Facebook and Twitter has made a fair few forums redundant over the years.

Socials have weeded out a lot of the mutants from special interests boards at least! 

Some, not all...

12 hours ago, gfa said:

People are straying from R&L and moving to glasto / international forums / smaller uk fests i think.

Very few people do more than a few readings now

This is definitely true. The only reason I'm here is because I now have a job which requires me to be at Reading Festival. If I'm being paid to be there anyway, I may as well at least get excited about the few acts that I'll get to see!

Great reviews from Central Cee's sold-out show at Ally Pally last night, friends who went said he was fantastic too. 4 stars from the Evening Standard and The Guardian who have billed him as a "global rap superstar in waiting"... Buzzing to see him again next Friday at WHP, his live show looks to have improved once again!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stanh said:

Great reviews from Central Cee's sold-out show at Ally Pally last night, friends who went said he was fantastic too. 4 stars from the Evening Standard and The Guardian who have billed him as a "global rap superstar in waiting"... Buzzing to see him again next Friday at WHP, his live show looks to have improved once again!

Was it really sold out?  Saw multiple huge dumps of tickets over the past few months at 63% off on twickets. 

Twickets at one point deleted the listing and reposted it. 

3 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

Was it really sold out?  Saw multiple huge dumps of tickets over the past few months at 63% off on twickets. 

Twickets at one point deleted the listing and reposted it. 

Hardly anything abouts on Twickets for the past week or so, and pretty much all of it had been selling as soon as it came up, then the extra tickets officially released also all went. From photos and videos too, very much looked like a sold out event. Similar has happened with the WHP date, hardly anything up on Twickets now, and as far as I'm aware all direct tickets are sold out too.

2 hours ago, stanh said:

Hardly anything abouts on Twickets for the past week or so, and pretty much all of it had been selling as soon as it came up, then the extra tickets officially released also all went. From photos and videos too, very much looked like a sold out event. Similar has happened with the WHP date, hardly anything up on Twickets now, and as far as I'm aware all direct tickets are sold out too.

there were scores and scores of tickets until the event got cancelled on twickets and reposted the following week (this was mid october)  but i had been seeing the really cheap tickets since mid/late september.

59 minutes ago, Benj said:

The slot reduction will mean things like this are less predictable than they used to be

I don't think it has much effect on Example considering he does the basically same slot every time vs someone who moves around a bit more

On 11/22/2022 at 7:47 AM, K2SO said:

Kinda off-topic, but does anyone else miss the days when you'd see the lineup the day before the announcement if you had an NME postal subscription because they had a massive poster advert?

I think the lineup used to come out on Wednesdays and you'd sometimes get the magazine early on Tuesdays

I think this was even before my time (my first Leeds was 2005). It was always Monday nights when I started going.

I remember 2006 was leaked by someone who worked in HMV and received the posters before the line-up went out. Also for the 2013 line up someone managed to find a hidden page of some promoter related to the festival.

My memory is foggy but I remember 2009 got leaked via an NME article that featured all the acts announced. People in denial that Bloc Party would sub two years running...

15 hours ago, VCK said:

I think this was even before my time (my first Leeds was 2005). It was always Monday nights when I started going.

I remember 2006 was leaked by someone who worked in HMV and received the posters before the line-up went out. Also for the 2013 line up someone managed to find a hidden page of some promoter related to the festival.

My memory is foggy but I remember 2009 got leaked via an NME article that featured all the acts announced. People in denial that Bloc Party would sub two years running...

Nah this was around 2012 I'm thinking

20 hours ago, gfa said:

I don't think it has much effect on Example considering he does the basically same slot every time vs someone who moves around a bit more

Makes little difference there’s only 14 vs 21 slots, 7 people acts otherwise booked won’t now be booked, he may be one of them

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Makes little difference there’s only 14 vs 21 slots, 7 people acts otherwise booked won’t now be booked, he may be one of them

The upper end of the dance stage is unaffected though. The rise of DNB will have a far bigger impact than there being less main stage / R1 slots

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

The upper end of the dance stage is unaffected though. The rise of DNB will have a far bigger impact than there being less main stage / R1 slots

Fair point. The slow bastardisation of the dance stage is another big impact of the slot loss/ squeeze and the overall experience of a significant demographic at the festival

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Fair point. The slow bastardisation of the dance stage is another big impact of the slot loss/ squeeze and the overall experience of a significant demographic at the festival

Arguably even worse than the loss to Fr/Pit/lockup, giving 0 choice at almost all times to dance people

To be honest if your into dance and going to reading/leeds your just being dragged by mates anyway 😂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Arguably even worse than the loss to Fr/Pit/lockup, giving 0 choice at almost all times to dance people

To be honest if your into dance and going to reading/leeds your just being dragged by mates anyway 😂

Main reason I'm starting full weekending at Creamfields now, the dance lineup has been awful for choice/amount since the scrapping of the R1 and second Main Stage. Soooo many less dance acts now, which is such a shame.