Kanye West

dentalplan

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

first paragraph is spot on, Kanye's music used to ever so slightly outweigh his antics but since the hospitalisation during the TLOP tour he has just gone off the deep end. Sad to see from an artist whose music had such a big part of my life.

Oh well, we got some cool tracks here and it's quite rare for an artist to release a great album every single time. I hope Kanye gets some therapy and chills the fuck out for a good 5 years before his next release but I doubt it,

I've not listened to the album personally yet but do we think there may be some bias going into the first listen based upon his antics? Is it difficult to review the album with a completely open mind, not taking the run up to release into consideration? Or is the album as mediocre as some reviews suggest?

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've not listened to the album personally yet but do we think there may be some bias going into the first listen based upon his antics? Is it difficult to review the album with a completely open mind, not taking the run up to release into consideration? Or is the album as mediocre as some reviews suggest?

I personally think it's impossible to completely divorce his antics from the music when he has Manson, DaBaby etc on the album itself. 

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Definitely. Impossible not to have a cloud hanging over it - even for us fans.

The Independent gave a zero star review which does read like a publication refusing to give any credit to an album featuring Marilyn Manson in 2021 and not an assessment of the music. I think that’s good - articles condemning it might just wash over him but maybe if critics pan it for the reason in their reviews of the album, it will get through to Ye that it was a stupid and harmful idea.

Edited by dentalplan

On 8/30/2021 at 9:30 PM, Matt42 said:

I mean, for a guy whose philosophy at the moment is seeing himself as a biblical figure and being obsessed with the label of ‘genius’ it isn’t a reach. I honestly think he sees cancel culture at the moment as a new form of persecution. It’s a very privileged outlook on the world and doesn’t feel like a reach from him at all. He even said countless times that he supported trump because it felt like he was doing something controversial or wrong, and it made him feel powerful by doing something that would shock others. It’s like a child trying to get attention from a parent…which has been a running theme in Kanye’s life.

Yeah - his opinion probably goes as low as “I like you because everyone hates you - I’m not like the others”. Or, “Jesus was friends with the persecuted”. It’s very Kanye.

1. Jail

2. Off The Grid

3. Hurricane

4. Praise God

5. Ok Ok

6. Believe What I Say

7. 24

8. Heaven and Hell

9. Donda

10. Jesus Lord

11. New Again

12. Pure Souls (could be cut)

13. Come to Life

14. No Child Left Behind.

Made my own Donda by Spotify playlist and it’s a much tighter album.

Donda (Kalifire edit) looks like this:

Jail
God Breathed
Off The Grid
Hurricane
Praise God
Believe What I Say
Moon
Heaven and Hell
Donda
Jesus Lord
Pure Souls

11 tracks. 50 minutes exactly.

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Donda (Kalifire edit) looks like this:

Jail
God Breathed
Off The Grid
Hurricane
Praise God
Believe What I Say
Moon
Heaven and Hell
Donda
Jesus Lord
Pure Souls

11 tracks. 50 minutes exactly.

I’ve changed mine

1. Jail

2. Off The Grid

3. Hurricane

4. Ok Ok

5. Believe What I Say

6. 24

7. Moon

8. Heaven and Hell

9. Donda

10. Jesus Lord

11. Come to Life

12. No Child Left Behind.

Donda debuted with some pretty big numbers. It’s probably going to be surpassed by Drake but it’s interesting to see that Kanye is still a big seller. A few of his albums in the past few years have debuted with much less than this.

Donda will become the biggest debut of the year thus far, besting newcomer Olivia Rodrigo’s SOUR (Geffen),”

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Donda debuted with some pretty big numbers. It’s probably going to be surpassed by Drake but it’s interesting to see that Kanye is still a big seller. A few of his albums in the past few years have debuted with much less than this.

Donda will become the biggest debut of the year thus far, besting newcomer Olivia Rodrigo’s SOUR (Geffen),”

Especially impressive given it was released on a Sunday and so lost out on two days of streaming numbers. I’ve no doubt Drake will end up wiping the floor with him number-wise, but clearly all the controversy, so-so projects and stupid roll outs from Kanye the past few years haven’t done much to dampen the hype behind anything he releases. Scrub the idiotic inclusions of Manson and DaBaby + the additions of the pt.2s from the album and this would’ve gone down as a really impressive release from him, regardless of it still being overlong and a little patchy here and there. 

Also, Drake went on a radio station last night and played this Kanye song that was left off of Donda (featuring Andre 3000) and it’s pretty damn fire. Not sure what (if any) legal implications this has for Drake, other than it being way better than anything from his own album so a huge self own. Both Kanye and Andre are killing it here:

Edited by FloorFiller

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Especially impressive given it was released on a Sunday and so lost out on two days of streaming numbers. I’ve no doubt Drake will end up wiping the floor with him number-wise, but clearly all the controversy, so-so projects and stupid roll outs from Kanye the past few years haven’t done much to dampen the hype behind anything he releases. Scrub the idiotic inclusions of Manson and DaBaby + the additions of the pt.2s from the album and this would’ve gone down as a really impressive release from him, regardless of it still being overlong and a little patchy here and there. 

After making my own shorter donda I’ve warmed up to it a lot and I think it is a return to form for Kanye.

Can’t see it having much longevity as he doesn’t really tour anymore, but I don’t think Kanye makes albums for longevity anymore.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Already did in one day. I think what likely kept the Kanye numbers down was that if you wanted to hear the album, you had 3 different occasions to do so before official release. Multiple clips get onto the internet and you can form an opinion. Then you just might dig into it after release but no rush. If he had just put it out there right after the first listening party then the hype wouldve been through the roof.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Also, Drake went on a radio station last night and played this Kanye song that was left off of Donda (featuring Andre 3000) and it’s pretty damn fire. Not sure what (if any) legal implications this has for Drake, other than it being way better than anything from his own album so a huge self own. Both Kanye and Andre are killing it here:

Ok this song is insane, but I think Kanye ruins it. 3 Stacks is pouring his heart out using his verse to talk directly to Donda and is asking her how his parents are doing and stuff, and Kanye then uses his verse to complain about Travis Scott and Drake and says "where's my red hat!!!". If he actually brought out another Hey Mama, Only One, Roses level verse this could be an all time Kanye song. Just further exemplifies how far he's fallen.

Here's a working link to the song btw: