V&A - Mapping Glastonbury

SheffJeff

Just seen this which I thought was interesting... an interactive map of glastonbury over the years. Blurb below:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/mapping-glastonbury

The V&A is home to the Glastonbury Festival Archive, an extraordinary collection of objects, sounds, sights and memories that encapsulate Glastonbury Festival. To open up the archive and bring it to life, we have collaborated with digital agency We Are Freak to develop a fully immersive and interactive map of the Festival.

Explore the organic growth of Glastonbury Festival through five decades, from the 1970's until today, and discover how the landscape of the Festival has evolved over time and inspired scenography and creativity.

The map, created by referencing the real topography of Worthy Farm and its surrounding area, is presented as a 3D experience. Double-click on the map and be transported down into the Festival site where you can move around and discover each distinct area from the Pyramid Stage and the Green fields, to the Park and beyond.

Click on hundreds of floating 'nodes' dotted around the festival to access an incredible collection of objects, photographs, memories, soundscapes and films clips from the V&A's Glastonbury Festival Archive.

• 2 years later...

I'd be super happy with a fully detailed map, like that festi food one could have been but never was... Detailing every single amenity, vendor, stage etc from the previous festival. 

Never going to happen though, somebody would have to give up their entire festival to map it out. 

(Festi food doesn't work at all any more.) 

2 minutes ago, Rowan Theo said:

The collaboration with We Are Freak to create an immersive map of the Glastonbury Festival Archive at the V&A is a brilliant way to explore the festival's rich history. By blending real topography with a 3D experience, it offers an engaging journey through the evolving landscape, allowing users to delve into the festival's diverse areas and discover a treasure trove of memories, sounds, and visuals.

It really is an AI bot! Incredible

3 hours ago, Drinky said:

It really is an AI bot! Incredible

Yep, they post a few posts, go silent, then in a few weeks or months, they flood every thread with an advert... Bloody nightmare they are, have been plaguing all the different forums I visit for a while now. 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

so as a mod what do you recommend ? new to me this 

There's not a lot mods can do, on the off chance that the account turns out to be a real person. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Could set the user account to always require mod approval for posts, but that's a LOT more work for mods then, and again, may be a bit draconian if we / you have called it wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, stuie said:

I think just wait it out, until the spamming begins!

At least it's on topic. 

yeah indeed 🙂  ... all really odd ... some spam is obvious but ive yet to figure out what's to be gained from hitting a site like this with it , unless someone books something from one of those dodgy links . 

16 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah indeed 🙂  ... all really odd ... some spam is obvious but ive yet to figure out what's to be gained from hitting a site like this with it , unless someone books something from one of those dodgy links . 

Most forum spamming is backlink building for SEO purposes.  The more sites that link to you the better your reputation, from a search engine point of view. 

https://backlinko.com/hub/seo/backlinks

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I suspect some of it will be going back days/weeks later to edit the post and insert links at that point.

By that most people (that are likely to report spam) will have already seen the post and so a link added after the thread has moved on is more likely to go under the radar.

On 12/20/2023 at 2:18 PM, Alvoram said:

There's not a lot mods can do, on the off chance that the account turns out to be a real person. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Could set the user account to always require mod approval for posts, but that's a LOT more work for mods then, and again, may be a bit draconian if we / you have called it wrong. 

I'm an admin on a big retro computer forum, and this is exactly what we do - the first three posts need to be approved by a mod, it's not that much hassle, and its easy to spot the link farming, the IP addressed used to sign up is usually the biggest giveaway.

Though, as with everything where spammers are in this to make money, they are getting sneakier, the current trick seem to be to just copy an exisiting post in a thread, so if a mod glances at it, it looks on topic, then they edit in links.

1 minute ago, paulshane said:

I'm an admin on a big retro computer forum, and this is exactly what we do - the first three posts need to be approved by a mod, it's not that much hassle, and its easy to spot the link farming, the IP addressed used to sign up is usually the biggest giveaway.

Though, as with everything where spammers are in this to make money, they are getting sneakier, the current trick seem to be to just copy an exisiting post in a thread, so if a mod glances at it, it looks on topic, then they edit in links.

As mods we no longer see the ips or sign up email addresses . Which has been set for privacy reasons . It’s usually dealt with pretty quickly as soon as reported if it’s been missed so I’d encourage all to use the report feature on them . Although absolutely correct they do seem to be getting more sneaky yes 

Genuine question. Would there be people out there up for volunteering to help with something like this? It never occurred to me that there might be until I read this thread.

I did a good chunk of the original map creation for Glastoearth back in 2010 (the project wasn't my idea, but I did put a bunch of work in to help with it), and I've been thinking of ideas for something bigger and better ever since.

Won't say more at this early stage, but in essence the only thing that's been holding me back is the idea of having to create all the maps single handedly again. If there were people out there willing to volunteer time to it as a non-commercial / creative commons community project, then that would potentially remove the one remaining blocker to building something awesome.

If anyone is interested, want to send me a PM?

• Like 1