news & politics:discussion

zahidf

On 3/16/2021 at 11:27 PM, mattiloy said:

these bills are provocations. greatly increases the odds of protests becoming riots. this allows tories to justify the bills, write off the protestors as looney left extremists, and do so whilst giving a sense of insecurity in the realm which the tories always thrive off.

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

How can we win, comrade @mattiloy?

I’ve no idea my mate, i guess the play is already in motion, best to just sit back and watch the flames for now. But i always have faith that humankind will get there eventually, its just a long frustrating trial and error process, if all this shite has to happen then it will and there aint nothing i can do about it 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Fucl flag wavimg nationalists. Rrheres no mviverssionof s nationalisist.

🍻👍

You never see Ruth Davidson now without the ‘Jack and or a tank. 

I’m excited for the photo shoot of her being driven South in some kind of armoured vehicle to take her seat in the Lords.

I for one will be cheering 👍

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The riots in bristol will just mean more public support for Patel to give police more powers. 

Their power is always limited though by how enforceable laws are and the reality is that if the mob is big enough and angry enough, the plod cant do much. Especially underfunded as they are.

Similarly with anti strike action legislature. There comes a point with wages and working conditions being so bad that even anti strike/anti union legislature can’t stop people striking en masse.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out post covid.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The riots in bristol will just mean more public support for Patel to give police more powers. 

4 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Sad but true 😔 

Agent Provocateurs or just your average trouble makers I wonder?

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Their power is always limited though by how enforceable laws are and the reality is that if the mob is big enough and angry enough, the plod cant do much. Especially underfunded as they are.

Similarly with anti strike action legislature. There comes a point with wages and working conditions being so bad that even anti strike/anti union legislature can’t stop people striking en masse.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out post covid.

surely any chance of the protest parts of the bill being amended are dead now. They have killed kill the bill. Fuckin idiots.

9 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

🍻👍

You never see Ruth Davidson now without the ‘Jack and or a tank. 

I’m excited for the photo shoot of her being driven South in some kind of armoured vehicle to take her seat in the Lords.

I for one will be cheering 👍

You never see a. Ansp rally with fewer flagssthan an nf rally.

Edited by eFestivals

54 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah but we're the worst when we do it.

Until the UK is dissolved Englishness will be associated with oppressive, racist nationalism. England can assume a more progressive and humble national identity once it sets its last colonies free. There is after all plenty England can be proud of - not least Glastonbury! - and, I believe, enough convergence in culture and history between the regions so that folk can reconcile themselves to the idea that there is plenty that is good and virtuous about being English (ie more a common historical/cultural/culinary/linguistic/sporting heritage rather than Englishness meaning the Queen and the empire)

But the UK is probably the only country in Europe which still clings on to the idea of empire as a virtuous thing, and the idea that historically subjecting foreign peoples to your rule through oppression gives you a viable, harmonious common identity today.

Tl;dr once England sets the Celtic nations free it can rediscover itself and we can all agree, the things we have in common are a pie and a pint, not the Queen and the empire.

Edited by mattiloy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Until the UK is dissolved Englishness will be associated with oppressive, racist nationalism. England can assume a more progressive and humble national identity once it sets its last colonies free. There is after all plenty England can be proud of - not least Glastonbury! - and, I believe, enough convergence in culture and history between the regions so that folk can reconcile themselves to the idea that there is plenty that is good and virtuous about being English (ie more a common historical/cultural/culinary/linguistic/sporting heritage rather than Englishness meaning the Queen and the empire)

But the UK is probably the only country in Europe which still clings on to the idea of empire as a virtuous thing, and the idea that historically subjecting foreign peoples to your rule through oppression gives you a viable, harmonious common identity today.

Tl;dr once England sets the Celtic nations free it can rediscover itself and we can all agree, the things we have in common are a pie and a pint, not the Queen and the empire.

Scotland wasn't and isn't a colony.

14 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Scotland wasn't and isn't a colony.

Okay, then Scotland was traded into a union by wealthy aristocrats after the problematic Derien project. A bit similar to how New Amsterdam or other colonies were traded in the Imperial days.

Wealthy anglo-Scottish landowners then proceeded to exploit both land and labour for a couple of hundred years.

If it looks like a colony and smells like a colony..