news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Voted 70% leave, the combined brexit party and tory vote was a comfortable majority last time, labour polling at around 10 points lower than the tories, Starmers personal ratings are on the way down and they decide to stitch up the candidacy and parachute some new labour sexist douchebag in there as the candidate to replace a guy resigning as a result of an ongoing sexual harassment case in a week in which the news cycle has made public sentiment especially sensitive towards sexist douchebags.

Labours goose is cooked.

nah, labour will win.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Boris Johnson is a lucky politician...SNP are going to eat themselves and scottish independence will be postponed for a few decades.

Why do you say that, their poll ratings were back up again, both Sturgeon and the party. Salmond was not very well liked by the end of his tenure and I think most voters will keep their eyes on the prize.

The more of the island that can emancipate itself from the awful Norman feudal state of the UK the better, good for them i say! Forza SNP!!

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Why do you say that, their poll ratings were back up again, both Sturgeon and the party. Salmond was not very well liked by the end of his tenure and I think most voters will keep their eyes on the prize.

The more of the island that can emancipate itself from the awful Norman feudal state of the UK the better, good for them i say! Forza SNP!!

This isn't true. The polling for the Holyrood election is now showing the SNP might not get a majority when it seemed likely before (for the record they still have huge support). Also, indy polling had 20 odd in a row with a yes lead but the last few have shown a more even split and a few No leads.

Well, we'll have to see outcome of inquiry, but all over the news that majority of committee believe she misled parliament, which is kind of serious...and can't play well with the big chunk of floating voters that SNP need. SNP need that overall majority if any chance of getting an independence referendum, and at moment not clear they will...and if Sturgeon is found guilty and has to resign it's all over, and even if she's not a lot of damage would have been done. I kind of hope they go independent too, but well, I'm not Scottish....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Voted 70% leave, the combined brexit party and tory vote was a comfortable majority last time, labour polling at around 10 points lower than the tories, Starmers personal ratings are on the way down and they decide to stitch up the candidacy and parachute some new labour sexist douchebag in there as the candidate to replace a guy resigning as a result of an ongoing sexual harassment case in a week in which the news cycle has made public sentiment especially sensitive towards sexist douchebags.

Labours goose is cooked.

I think you need to re-read the tweet you linked, he doesn't say it was HIS subject of conversation, he appears to be criticising someone elses subject, maybe he should have used the term shocking or surprising rather than mindblowing but as a neutral that is what it seems like to me. The tweets 10 years old, if that's the worst they can find he should be o.k. at least on that front.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Jfc that’s a hell of a lot of misogyny for not very much humour.

I do support the right for comedians to push the boundaries of good taste, but it needs to be justifiable and in context. I don’t think Twitter is at all the right place for this.

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is why I chuckle when centrists spend all their time attacking and wanting to drive out 'the hard left'- once we're gone, you're next, and the right will use exactly the same lines against you.

Those two bbc presenters were clearly mocking politicians cynical use of the flag and strategically placed picture of the queen, not the Union Jack and the queen (not that I'd be bothered if they did mock the latter two), yet here we have the telegraph pretending they don't understand that and instead were hating and mocking the queen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

This is why I chuckle when centrists spend all their time attacking and wanting to drive out 'the hard left'- once we're gone, you're next, and the right will use exactly the same lines against you.

Those two bbc presenters were clearly mocking politicians cynical use of the flag and strategically placed picture of the queen, not the Union Jack and the queen (not that I'd be bothered if they did mock the latter two), yet here we have the telegraph pretending they don't understand that and instead were hating and mocking the queen.

Jenrick - the biggest fraud of the lot of them - seemed genuinely annoyed with Charlie and Naga about this (the latter didn’t make a comment, just giggled, yet has been the target of most of the abuse - strange, that...). I can imagine he’s called in a few favours from his media pals in the Tory press to make it ‘a thing’.

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

what's this got to do with centrists?