news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, gizmoman said:

So if you went ahead would they be in the right to arrest those attending? A strict enforcement of the law would require that, a sensible approach would be to try to ensure it went ahead as safely as possible, as it happens this exact scenario happened a few weeks ago, https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19043290.police-attendance-large-funeral-passes-peacefully/

Then if the only consequence of breaking the rules is that the police help you do it safely, how does enforcement of any of the COVID restrictions work at all?

I'd argue a sensible approach would be to disperse it as peacefully as possible. 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Then if the only consequence of breaking the rules is that the police help you do it safely, how does enforcement of any of the COVID restrictions work at all?

I'd argue a sensible approach would be to disperse it as peacefully as possible. 

A sensible approach would have been to allow it go ahead but to work with the organisers to try and make it as safe as possible.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Obvously you are comfortable with that and people attributing their causes to her memory without permission?

I know such actions in the past have upset families.  

maybe it is upsetting. I expect they would have been moved by so many including Kate whatshername attending her vigil, but might not have liked seeing police dragging them away in handcuffs.

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, this anti protest bill is important, people should protest. 

My concern is that some of the....less than desirable groups are or will hijack it just because its anti government, giving them even more reason to vote through that bill. I really hope it stays peaceful

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

My concern is that some of the....less than desirable groups are or will hijack it just because its anti government, giving them even more reason to vote through that bill. I really hope it stays peaceful

If this bill passes then it's going to become a real problem in the future I reckon...could get very messy. They just don't want people protesting against their policies, but what about for things they might support?

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

100%. Jo Swinson was so desperate for a General Election to improve the Lib Dems seat that she along with several others in opposition parties pushed us to the election. 

yeah, well lib dems were polling well, but all went pear shaped when they said they would revoke brexit...SNP did well so right decision for them...and Corbyn was under pressure from many in labour who were under delusions that they could actually win (or not lose outright). In a parallel world that election wouldn't have happened and we'd have all that brexit chaos on top the pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well lib dems were polling well, but all went pear shaped when they said they would revoke brexit...SNP did well so right decision for them...and Corbyn was under pressure from many in labour who were under delusions that they could actually win (or not lose outright). In a parallel world that election wouldn't have happened and we'd have all that brexit chaos on top the pandemic. 

To be fair the sensible idea of an extension for this year could've been pushed through. Still think it was a bit mental even for this lot to let it happen this year 

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Oh yeah you are right. It's fascinating to think about 'what if...' in an alternate reality where the 2019 GE didn't happen.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well lib dems were polling well, but all went pear shaped when they said they would revoke brexit...

Why would lib dem voters - a party which basically became a single issue pro remain party long before that election - be dissuaded from voting lib dem by the promise of a revoked brexit?

Whenever I think about how the centrist extremists did the dirty on King Corbs, I remind myself of the trajectory of the political careers of David Miliband, Chuka Umunna and most of all, Jo Swinson and have an absolute lol to myself 

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Why would lib dem voters - a party which basically became a single issue pro remain party long before that election - be dissuaded from voting lib dem by the promise of a revoked brexit?

I think they wanted to be more remainy than labour...and labour promised a 2nd referendum so what else could lib dems do but go for revoke. Probably pleased many hard core lib dem remainers, but lots of remainy swing voters probably thought should have at least had a referendum. Anyway, it was all fucked in the end. Remainer vote was split and farage's lot stood down to let bojo romp home in his digger. And Corbyn put off any remainer tories from voting not-tory.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think they wanted to be more remainy than labour...and labour promised a 2nd referendum so what else could lib dems do but go for revoke. Probably pleased many hard core lib dem remainers, but lots of remainy swing voters probably thought should have at least had a referendum. Anyway, it was all fucked in the end. Remainer vote was split and farage's lot stood down to let bojo romp home in his digger. And Corbyn put off any remainer tories from voting not-tory.

Idk about that, I think the movement after the election was called had more to do with that Swinson was just a disaster on the campaign trail. Boris was not really any good either but unfortunately Corbyn camp was admittedly quite shit. Too many policies and nothing anywhere near as salient ’get brexit done’, particularly with a hostile media.

I do wonder what the next election will be won and lost on. What is the big post covid, post brexit issue going to be? Immigration again? Now that the EU cant be blamed?

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Idk about that, I think the movement after the election was called had more to do with that Swinson was just a disaster on the campaign trail. Boris was not really any good either but unfortunately Corbyn camp was admittedly quite shit. Too many policies and nothing anywhere near as salient ’get brexit done’, particularly with a hostile media.

I do wonder what the next election will be won and lost on. What is the big post covid, post brexit issue going to be? Immigration again? Now that the EU cant be blamed?

churchill statues.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Thornton's will be closing all of their shop...

It'll cause chaos next Xmas.wherecwill every disorganised male do their last minute Xmas shopping?.:p 

Yes. It's good for the guys that sell roses at traffic lights though.

15 hours ago, steviewevie said:

A sensible approach would have been to allow it go ahead but to work with the organisers to try and make it as safe as possible.

But then you have to do that for everyone that asks, and everyone starts asking. If you don't know someone who would have liked to have a outdoor vigil in a park for their loved one with more than the 15/30 people they were allowed at a time then you're damn lucky.

14 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

To be fair the sensible idea of an extension for this year could've been pushed through. Still think it was a bit mental even for this lot to let it happen this year 

I think they jumped at the chance - I'm sure we're undergoing economic upheaval from Brexit right now but it's essentially impossible to split that out from the upheaval caused by COVID.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its never been a Tory seat.  Nothing to see here to be honest.

Richard Tice stood and split the right wing vote in 2019 meaning Labour held on.

If Reform UK stand here then it’s a potential 3 way marginal.

If they don’t stand then the Tories have a great chance to win this.