news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Voted for all the Tory candidates this morning. Bailey for mayor, Tory London assembly candidate and the Tories on the list.

What swung it for me is the vaccine rollout and the fact that Johnson is at least presenting a route to normality. I like Starmer and he could definitely earn my vote back before the next GE, but I’m convinced a Labour government would still have us in lockdown and pursuing zero covid, and I can’t vote for that right now. 

I put Luisa Porritt for the Lib Dems as my second preference. Really anyone is better than Khan after he argued successfully to get London put on a household ban in October. I’d even prefer Lawrence Fox to him. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Voted for all the Tory candidates this morning. Bailey for mayor, Tory London assembly candidate and the Tories on the list.

What swung it for me is the vaccine rollout and the fact that Johnson is at least presenting a route to normality. I like Starmer and he could definitely earn my vote back before the next GE, but I’m convinced a Labour government would still have us in lockdown and pursuing zero covid, and I can’t vote for that right now. 

I put Luisa Porritt for the Lib Dems as my second preference. Really anyone is better than Khan after he argued successfully to get London put on a household ban in October. I’d even prefer Lawrence Fox to him. 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

None of these reasons for voting make ANY fucking sense. Tories are not solely responsible for the vaccine rollout, the Tories have presenting a route to normality since last fucking march to the detriment of the country, Jesus Christ them trying to unlock too early is the whole reason for the second n third wave, Shaun Bailey really? - you voted against labour on speculation that they'd pursue zero covid based on absolutely no evidence.

Saying you prefer Laurence fox to Sadiq khan just shows how little you actually care about the politics you voting forthis is it right here why our country is Tory because people voted on baseless emotions of what the sorta feel like candidates are. 

I'm so done with this shit, what have you gained from the last 10 years of Tories. Holy shit

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think that is fair comment...

Labour can't win from the left....  but it also can't win from no position at all...  I have no idea what Keir's vision is.

He got Brexit wrong (in the eyes of the public) and offered no plan B for Covid.  Will he survive long enough to find a vision I wonder?

Can't win from the left is a myth. This was the constant argument about the democrats last election. 

Yet all democratic policies (15 dollar minimum wage, universal healthcare) is supported by the majority of Americans

• Upvote 1

I understand the hesitance for some people to vote labour because Starker doesn't have enough policies, but vote for anyone but the Tories

All of their campaign promises are lies or distractions. 

This is a local election too, actually research what your local candidate actually gets done.

Just now, ace56blaa said:

I understand the hesitance for some people to vote labour because Starker doesn't have enough policies, but vote for anyone but the Tories

All of their campaign promises are lies or distractions. 

This is a local election too, actually research what your local candidate actually gets done.

Sounds a bit complicated that, better to just vote for the guy who says he'll open the pubs.

12 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

My vote was based on a specific policy that would benefit me greatly but the candidate was neither Tory or Labour so I doubt he will get a look in. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

It's myth not proven wrong over the last 40 years of UK politics but you keep up your delusional thinking 

I mean the NHS is a left wing policy that's pretty popular. 

How about the furlough over the last year, a lifeline for so many, that's a left wing policy. 

These ideas are popular in the UK. Thats why the Tories haven't succeeded in trying to cut furlough early or sell off the NHS yet. No matter how hard they try.

The point is though, the Tories have no policy beyond laundering money in Westminster, n performatively curving immigration n shagging flags. 

9 hours ago, LJS said:

Leaving aside the fact that the differences are marginal and ignoring the fact that you just proclaim stuff without linking to anything to support it.

Why not try holding the advocates of Indy to that standard?

9 hours ago, LJS said:

So What?

Anyone give a shit what Russia today is saying about anyanything

But Indy supporters care what the bug advocates of Indy are saying.salmond said that Russia wasn't involved in the novichok attacks.

An idea he can have only got from his mate vlad.

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

My vote was based on a specific policy that would benefit me greatly but the candidate was neither Tory or Labour so I doubt he will get a look in. 

Yeah the 2 party system is shit. Honestly sucks

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Happy Election Day everyone! Remember to vote!

I don’t have a vote today. Feeling left out! 

Just because their policies are popular doesn’t mean people trust them. Trust is the single biggest factor in how the public will vote.

Boris got in because people trust the Tories to stand up for the UK whereas Corbyn would not have us as a major player on the world stage. Starmer is a lot better at that than Jeremy, but a lot of his back benchers are not patriotic in the slightest which is a deal breaker for a lot of red wall types. 

so...predictions then...I reckon SNP fall just short of an overall majority, and labour fall just short of an overall majority in Wales. Tories win a landslide in Hartlepool. Labour mayors win in London, Manchester and Liverpool, and tory mayors in Tees valley and midlands.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I would be too! I love an Election Day. 

I could go and vote for the new Kent Police Commissioner but I have no idea what difference that would make. 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so...predictions then...I reckon SNP fall just short of an overall majority, and labour fall just short of an overall majority in Wales. Tories win a landslide in Hartlepool. Labour mayors win in London, Manchester and Liverpool, and tory mayors in Tees valley and midlands.

Nothing changes !!!

22 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Just because their policies are popular doesn’t mean people trust them. Trust is the single biggest factor in how the public will vote.

Boris got in because people trust the Tories to stand up for the UK whereas Corbyn would not have us as a major player on the world stage. Starmer is a lot better at that than Jeremy, but a lot of his back benchers are not patriotic in the slightest which is a deal breaker for a lot of red wall types. 

Well I hate the country so explains why I (wrongly, stupidly, regrettably) voted Labour last time. 

Cheering on France right now obviously...