news & politics:discussion

zahidf

16 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Local activists on both sides are predicting a huge majority for the Conservatives in the Hartlepool by-election.

This suggests that further parts of the red wall that stayed Labour in 2019 (due to the BXP standing) are ripe to turn blue in the next GE. Starmer and the Labour Party have an absolute mountain to climb. They either need to somehow win back the red wall, or find a way to expand their grapplehold of metropolitan London to include traditionally Tory home county seats in places like Harlow. 

Murmurings of an early election if these locals show a large tory majority. 

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Murmurings of an early election if these locals show a large tory majority. 

Poly Toynbee wrote a few months ago that Johnson could be tempted to call an election this year when polling well as by time of next election in 2023/2024 economy may not be doing so well and there may also be painful spending cuts and/or tax rises needed.

Edited by steviewevie

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Poly Toynbee wrote a few months ago that Johnson could be tempted to call an election this year when polling well as by time of next election in 2023/2024 economy may not be doing so well and there may also be painful spending cuts and/or tax rises needed.

Risks though. Threatens moving forward the deconstruction of the union. Could force Labour (presumably still Starmer?) hand on progressive alliance which could be a game changer 

Edited by mattiloy

Just now, mattiloy said:

Risks though. Threatens moving forward the deconstruction of the union though. Could force Labour (presumably still Starmer?) hand on progressive alliance which could be a game changer 

yep. A lot going on with these elections. Is it right we won't know result in Scotland till Saturday?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Historically speaking the electorate don't tend to be too fond when a PM calls an early election to game the system. Saying that it's Johnson if anyone can buck that trend he can.

yeah, I guess he could sell it as a post pandemic build back better election....

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wonder when the Labour party will understand their core voting red wall doesn't care about any of this stuff - in fact - they quite despise the lot.

Benefits -working class people WORK!  the labour party has become the party of the benefit scrounger. 

Immigrants - GET BREXIT DONE wasn't because they liked that eastern European taking THEIR job

Union Workers - Lazy gits with gold plated pensions.

The Labour party and their core red wall couldn't be further apart.

It will take a generation for Labour to win back the working classes.  
Only a Tony Blair style new Labour movement will get them anywhere near Downing Street for a long time yet. Kier Starmer definitely isn’t that person. 
They are finished without a top to bottom overhaul. 

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

It will take a generation for Labour to win back the working classes.  
Only a Tony Blair style new Labour movement will get them anywhere near Downing Street for a long time yet. Kier Starmer definitely isn’t that person. 
They are finished without a top to bottom overhaul. 

Honestly wouldn’t shock me if some kind of En Marche type centrist start-up provides us with the next non-Tory PM 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Honestly wouldn’t shock me if some kind of En Marche type centrist start-up provides us with the next non-Tory PM 

Labour will one day realise that this country does not want a left wing government, never has and never will. The momentum years will be the biggest mistake they ever made. 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

This thread has become the new shit ends one ? Lots of posters seem to have moved over today ?!  Almost like it’s organised …. 

Shit posters with shit contributions make for a shit thread. Anyone surprised to see Stevie spoiling aonther?

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

You've spent the last year slagging off Labour who you claim to support and then claim not to know what they're about here's betting you think try voters are dumb.

no I haven't for fucks sake. I've been defending starmer loads on here....but I am now starting to have my doubts. I know you have some special status or something but you don't half post some shite on here.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

This thread has become the new shit ends one ? Lots of posters seem to have moved over today ?!  Almost like it’s organised …. 

It’s hardly surprising that the political thread is heavily populated on an Election Day surely?