LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I guess thats why Glasto never got Prince you twat. Maybe jealous that everyone will remember Beyonce for Coachella 2018 moreso than Glasto 2011?  Also, the festival was practically sold out before the line up was even announced, so Harry being on the poster didnt really make a difference in ticket sales since there was almost no inventory. Sounds familiar doesnt it. 

Sorry to say, but since it might stand that the 2 of the highest profile festivals in the world might share 2 headliners in the same year but theyre not your cup of tea, you can just go fuck off. Both ended up in the same situation where they had a trio of headliners that played to the festivals respective strengths and now theyve both had to scramble because of circumstances beyond their control. DEAL WITH IT OR RETURN YOUR TICKET.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree then?… hehehe 😜 😝 🤪

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

It's definitely the closest one. Tame could have topped the bill in 2019. I mean, they headlined that other shite flag-waving jamboree over in the new world.

Proves a point about why Coachella isn’t a decent benchmark. Tame Impala are to my mind nowhere near big enough in the UK to headline Glastonbury. Even Fontaines DC have had more chart success than them here and I’d say have a bigger pull. Wolf Alice are another that surely deserve to be ahead of them. Added to that that their last set at the festival was so unbelievably dull. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Glastonbury doesn’t need to dance to the increasingly unfair, increasingly US-centric music industry’s tune. And it shouldn’t. And usually it doesn’t but occasionally it does.

Jay Z headlining was controversial in 2008 but for the wrong reasons for me - it was controversial because he was a rapper, when for me it was a poor shout because his music wasn’t big in the UK. I think it was harsh on the more successful and groundbreaking homegrown rap acts around at the time, like for instance Dizzee Rascal. That’s right, maybe I’m alone in this, but at that time, Dizzee Rascal would have been a better headliner than Jay Z.

Edited by mattiloy

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think you would be alone in this mate, because as of Glastonbury 2008 Dizzee had four top 20 hits (highest at #10), whereas Jay had fourteen and three no.1s.

You're thinking of Dizzee a couple years down the line.

Aye, Dizzee played fourth down the Pyramid in 2009 and was just around the time Bonkers came out.

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think you would be alone in this mate, because as of Glastonbury 2008 Dizzee had four top 20 hits (highest at #10), whereas Jay had fourteen and three no.1s.

You're thinking of Dizzee a couple years down the line.

?? According to his wiki Jay Z’s highest charting album pre glasto in the uk was 23rd with his latest charting at #30.

Then on the singles discography I count what, 4? Top 20 singles, no #1s in the UK.

I compare that to two top 10 albums, one winning a mercury prize and handful of top 20 songs (with his first no1 single incidentally landing during Glastonbury week.

Neither was exactly a glittering CV, but one was a young british dude who brought rap and garage into the mainstream in the UK with a widely lauded, mercury prize winning breakthrough album.

I know which one I’d have given a leg up to.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

He did. There was quite a leap, 2009-10 was the time of Bonkers, Holiday, Dance Wiv Me... at that time he was everywhere.

Felt like either him or Florence were on every stage at every time in 2010.

I also saw him in the R1 tent at Reading Festival in 2004 subbing Funeral for a Friend....that show, and the one I saw 6 years later were very, very different!

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Dizzee should have headlined in 2010, tbf.

Agreed, I think it would have totally gone off that night...our group of 20 or so were on a big high after him and then came crashing down when Gorillaz came on - we all left halfway through their set to go and see Fatboy Slim in the dance tent!

Edited by gooner1990

15 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Wishing On A Star (no.13), Hard Knock Life (no.2), Anything (no.18), I Just Wanna Love U (no.17), Girls Girls Girls (no.11), '03 Bonnie & Clyde (no.2), Excuse Me Miss (no.17), Dirt Off Your Shoulder (no.12), 99 Problems (no.12), Numb/Encore (no.14), I'll Be (no.9), Be Alone No More (no.11), Heartbeaker (no.5), Crazy In Love (no.1), Frontin' (no.6), Déjà Vú (no.1), Umbrella (no.1).

If you don't count collaborations, then you strike off the Wiley/Dizzee sets at Sidewinder which made his name and you can't have Dance Wiv Me either.

And, just to wrap this up, Umbrella was no.1 in the UK for 10 weeks in a row. Jay's the first voice you hear on the record. There's no comparison.

Saying ‘it’s ya boi’, and ‘aha’ a few times doesn’t count imo.

I genuinely forgot Jay Z was on umbrella and Crazy in Love. Nobody really thinks of them as Jay Z songs do they?

And the albums tell that story. If anybody had been arsed about Jay Z’s contributions to those songs, his album sales would have reflected that.

But here, let me paint you a picture, it’s time to take a trip down memory lane..

I was a 17 years old and I’d say all my pals were at least aware of dizzee rascal, his music and many had seen him live (I myself saw him supporting babyshambles along with joe lean and the jing jang jong in one of the stranger bills of that time).

But I remember vividly one pal of mine who wore these absurd high top sneakers and basketball shirts had a load of American rap on his iPod that he often used to play Jay Z in his ford Ka on the way to and from college. It wasn’t bad stuff, we all quite liked it, but we probs wouldn’t have known of it without that pal who was into american stuff.

Of course this is anecdotal stuff, but in addition to the figures quoted above, forms part of my reference for the penetration of each respective artist into the music interested youth of the time.

Edited by mattiloy

25 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

?? According to his wiki Jay Z’s highest charting album pre glasto in the uk was 23rd with his latest charting at #30.

Then on the singles discography I count what, 4? Top 20 singles, no #1s in the UK.

I compare that to two top 10 albums, one winning a mercury prize and handful of top 20 songs (with his first no1 single incidentally landing during Glastonbury week.

Neither was exactly a glittering CV, but one was a young british dude who brought rap and garage into the mainstream in the UK with a widely lauded, mercury prize winning breakthrough album.

I know which one I’d have given a leg up to.

Lad. Jay Z maybe the GOAT. Should be in everyone’s top 10 dead or alive if not top 5. 

Nobody rates early Dizzee more than me but come on. 

7 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Saying ‘it’s ya boi’, and ‘aha’ a few times doesn’t count imo.

I genuinely forgot Jay Z was on umbrella and Crazy in Love. Nobody really thinks of them as Jay Z songs do they?

And the albums tell that story. If anybody had been arsed about Jay Z’s contributions to those songs, his album sales would have reflected that.

But here, let me paint you a picture, it’s time to take a trip down memory lane..

I was a 17 years old and I’d say all my pals were at least aware of dizzee rascal, his music and many had seen him live (I myself saw him supporting babyshambles along with joe lean and the jing jang jong in one of the stranger bills of that time).

But I remember vividly one pal of mine who wore these absurd high top sneakers and basketball shirts had a load of American rap on his iPod that he often used to play Jay Z in his ford Ka on the way to and from college. It wasn’t bad stuff, we all quite liked it, but we probs wouldn’t have known of it without that pal who was into american stuff.

Of course this is anecdotal stuff, but in addition to the figures quoted above, forms part of my reference for the penetration of each respective artist into the music interested youth of the time.

Nobody believes that

What some are forgetting here is that Jay-Z is a seminal figure in hip hop. Not just a generational figure but Mount Rushmore level for an entire musical genre. Dizzee had a breakout first album and a couple of less decent follow ups, but there was a chasm between them when it came to influence and reach. 

Dizzee in 2008 isn’t even comparable to Stormzy in 2019, even though Boy In Da Corner is superior to anything Stormzy’s put out. Dizzee was an exciting new star. Stormzy’s almost a spokesperson. 

Standing is as important as any other factor.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Dizzee played at Glasto 08. I saw him, subbing to Dirty Pete Doherty (and a secret Franz Ferdinand set) on the Park stage. 

He was great, but I don't think the Pyramid was ready for Pussy 'Ole that year. 

I went to that too, I think the timescales all got skewed that night as we turned up for Dizzee and from recollection Franz Ferdinand were on and in my intoxicated state couldn't work out if we'd missed him or not (luckily as it turned out we hadn't!)

18 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Although your anecdotal musings about the non-success of Jay-Z and Harry Styles are… interesting takes, I think I’ll stick with the facts.

Thanks for playing! It’s been fun, and easy.

Facts:

Jay Z’s released before Glastonbury got to just 30th in the album charts.

That was 23 places lower than Dizzee Rascal’s.

This is inconsistent with the statement ‘Jay Z was a more popular artist than Dizzee Rascal in the UK pre Glastonbury’.

Not facts:

Crazy in love and Umbrella are mainly known as Jay Z songs.

Facts:

Harry Styles’ music is not well regarded by critics.

Harry Styles is the Man City of music. Fair enough he’s won the league a few times. But with all the money spent, his consistent bottling of the champions league had got to be a source of frustration to his masters.

• Downvote 1