LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

Friday: Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong / Cajun Dance Party / The Temper Trap / Ought / WU LYF (Special Guest Openers)

Saturday: Jack Peñate / Yuck / One Night Only / The Holloways / The Hoosiers / The Young Knives / Them Crooked Vultures (Secret Set) / Merchandise (Special Guest Openers)

Sunday: Kids in Glass Houses / The Pigeon Detectives / Klaxons / The Big Pink / Little Man Tate / Boy Kill Boy / Proxies (Special Guest Openers)

1 minute ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Friday: Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong / Cajun Dance Party / The Temper Trap / Ought / WU LYF (Special Guest Openers)

Saturday: Jack Peñate / Yuck / One Night Only / The Holloways / The Hoosiers / The Young Knives / Them Crooked Vultures (Secret Set) / Merchandise (Special Guest Openers)

Sunday: Kids in Glass Houses / The Pigeon Detectives / Klaxons / The Big Pink / Little Man Tate / Boy Kill Boy / Proxies (Special Guest Openers)

You missed Palma Violets you shithouse. Not playing anymore.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Someone who Neil believes to have accurate info came on this morning and said Macca is out with Harry in.

But these would be separate pieces of information surely? Harry Styles wouldn't headline would he? Particularly if replacing a bonafide legend.

Doesn't he only have two albums that were fairly well panned by critics? And by the sounds of things hasn't even really been a huge commercial success considering he has the full might of the industry and legions of young teenage fangirls behind him.

If its a case of needs must and they got their act together too late with a replacement then maybe, but would be probably the weakest headliner choice for a long time on basically any metric. I think most folks would struggle to name one song by him (myself included).

Edited by mattiloy

Just now, mattiloy said:

But these would be separate pieces of information surely? Harry Styles wouldn't headline would he? Particularly if replacing a bonafide legend.

Doesn't he only have two albums that were fairly well panned by critics? And hasn't even really been a huge commercial success considering he has the full might of the industry and legions of young teenage fangirls behind him.

Selling out multiple nights at Wembley and headlining Coachella suggests otherwise.

40 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Sugababes? 

36 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Doesn't he only have two albums that were fairly well panned by critics? And by the sounds of things hasn't even really been a huge commercial success considering he has the full might of the industry and legions of young teenage fangirls behind him.

If its a case of needs must and they got their act together too late with a replacement then maybe, but would be probably the weakest headliner choice for a long time on basically any metric. I think most folks would struggle to name one song by him (myself included).

Both albums got a decent enough metacritic score - the second one especially. 

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Selling out multiple nights at Wembley and headlining Coachella suggests otherwise.

Notwithstanding that he's able to mobilise an army of teeny boppers, the point stands. A man who was the main fella in (rightly or wrongly) the biggest British boyband since the Beatles, and he's managed a number 1 album for the hotly anticipated debut but followed it up with just a number 2 album - along with just a smattering of top 40 hits. I've just read his initial solo record deal was for £80mil, imagine the dough they've spent on promo and the amount of airtime he's had - he should have been this generation's Robbie Williams but he's flopped it big time.

And what to say about Coachella, just one big marketing exercise with a couple of microphones and a drum kit in the corner. Who plays there should be utterly meaningless to Glastonbury festival, or indeed anybody with a genuine interest in music.

Edited by mattiloy

9 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Both albums got a decent enough metacritic score - the second one especially. 

I'm seeing 68% and 76%. Pretty mediocre scores them. Certainly nowhere near the critical acclaim that usually excuses that sort of sparsity of output (such as your Billie Eilishes, your Stormzys etc)

Edited by mattiloy

19 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Notwithstanding that he's able to mobilise an army of teeny boppers, the point stands. A man who was the main fella in (rightly or wrongly) the biggest British boyband since the Beatles, and he's managed a number 1 album for the hotly anticipated debut but followed it up with just a number 2 album - along with just a smattering of top 40 hits. I've just read his initial solo record deal was for £80mil, imagine the dough they've spent on promo and the amount of airtime he's had - he should have been this generation's Robbie Williams but he's flopped it big time.

And what to say about Coachella, just one big marketing exercise with a couple of microphones and a drum kit in the corner. Who plays there should be utterly meaningless to Glastonbury festival, or indeed anybody with a genuine interest in music.

I don't know about that, as a member of 'this generation' he's comfortably the biggest solo male popstar in the country for my age group

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I'm seeing 68% and 76%. Pretty mediocre scores them. Certainly nowhere near the critical acclaim that usually excuses that sort of sparsity of output (such as your Billie Eilishes, your Stormzys etc)

Well they’re green so considered good - what’s the difference? There’s a bunch of 7 or 8 out of 10 reviews in there for both his albums.

Stormzys only on 82 anyway, hardly a huge gap.