Football 2020/2021

zahidf

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s easy to talk about boycotting when you’re not even likely to qualify.

My point was I would support the boycott if wales did qualify even if it meant me missing my first World Cup. I just think it’s one of those situations where some things are more important than football.

I don’t think wales will qualify, but Norway have a decent chance. To be honest I don’t think it’s abour qualifying as a team like Switzerland boycotting wouldn’t make a dent. It would need an England, France, Germany etc to make any impact. I think money talks and everyone will turn up, I would have great respect if a footballer like Rashford made an individual stand.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It would need an England, France, Germany etc to make any impact. 

Italy and The Netherlands would be best placed as big nations who didn't qualify in 2018 so can't be charged with hypocrisy after happily sportswashing for Russia last time.

These champions league proposals are going to make the tournament worse and not better. Giving places based on the last few seasons is a complete joke.

I just wish best buddies liverpool and man utd would join their other friends and form their own closed shop league. The constant threats every few years just drive reforms to make the competition worse.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I just wish best buddies liverpool and man utd would join their other friends and form their own closed shop league. The constant threats every few years just drive reforms to make the competition worse.

See Scotland. 1985 was the last time one of the “bitter rivals” Rangers or Celtic didn’t win the League ( Ferguson at Aberdeen).

The voting structure means they control everything and we can’t make changes as Sky insist on 4 old firm league games. You can guess who banks the vast majority of the tv and prize money.

Unlikely in my lifetime that one of those 2 clubs won’t win the league and Celtic recently won 4 trebles in a row 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

See Scotland. 1985 was the last time one of the “bitter rivals” Rangers or Celtic didn’t win the League ( Ferguson at Aberdeen).

The voting structure means they control everything and we can’t make changes as Sky insist on 4 old firm league games. You can guess who banks the vast majority of the tv and prize money.

Unlikely in my lifetime that one of those 2 clubs won’t win the league and Celtic recently won 4 trebles in a row 🤷‍♂️

Who knows if a billionaire crosses the Atlantic and decides to throw money at a smaller team on view of his/her Scottish heritage!

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is there a more boring side in world football than Ireland?

The international equivalent of a Pulis team.

I know the squad isnt great, but it's good enough to beat luxembourg. Having seen them in the Euros and playing wales a million times, the style of football has been terrible. I think quite a bit below Pulis level.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:41 AM, DareToDibble said:

I've seen rumours of Suarez and Coutinho in the last few days. I would love either/both but honestly can't see them happening unless one of Mane or Salah are leaving.

After how shocked and surprised the LFC fans were by Suarez when they faced Barca?!?! 🙄🤷‍♂️

There would be no point in signing Suarez and any move for Coutinho would be backwards as well.

10 hours ago, jyoung said:

After how shocked and surprised the LFC fans were by Suarez when they faced Barca?!?! 🙄🤷‍♂️

There would be no point in signing Suarez and any move for Coutinho would be backwards as well.

I have no doubt he is an utter twat. I knew it when he played for us. 
I think there is definitely still a great player there in Coutinho, I think he would flourish again if he came back but realistically Barca would want a silly fee we simply won’t pay (and would be stupid to)

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Why did Man city sign Jesus.

Cos they need life after the annual death of their CL dream.

Here was me thinking you might have pissed off to another thread, while you annoy the Scotish, now Salmond has reintroduced himself back into politics.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Here was me thinking you might have pissed off to another thread, while you annoy the Scotish, now Salmond has reintroduced himself back into politics.

😂 I think City, under Pep will win the Champs League. I also think that Scotland will one day go it’s own way.

Should they both happen around the same time, Neil will have to close this place down 🤯

Liverpool reportedly on the verge of signing Konate from Leipzig, a great buy given the release clause but a poor injury record. I think this probably means we will look to ship out Matip, but if we were to take up the option to buy Kabak - which I can see us selling Phillips and Davies to cover -  it gives us a strong pool of central defenders (especially considering their ages at the start of next season): Van Dijk (30), Gomez (24), Konate (21), Kabak (21).

7 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

😂 I think City, under Pep will win the Champs League. I also think that Scotland will one day go it’s own way.

Should they both happen around the same time, Neil will have to close this place down 🤯

He'll just go and argue with someone else about something else, I think he is just that way inclined. 

On 3/28/2021 at 10:25 AM, DareToDibble said:

I have no doubt he is an utter twat. I knew it when he played for us. 
I think there is definitely still a great player there in Coutinho, I think he would flourish again if he came back but realistically Barca would want a silly fee we simply won’t pay (and would be stupid to)

Agree re Coutinho. Liverpool's front three obviously push defences back and stretch the game. I've thought for years (since Coutinho left) is that what they are missing is an attacking midfield to run into the hole created around the D and kick the ball really hard into the goal from distance (ie Coutinho). (Am prepared to concede Klopp may know more about tactics than me though.) Livepool's midfield does seem a bit pedestrian (if hard-working).