Football 2020/2021

zahidf

24 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

That’ll be Haaland joining City then, surely?

You'd think so. I imagine he would score lots but I'm not sure if he would be a Pep type player. Haaland gives me Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic vibes and I don't think Pep really fucks with that. He puts more dynamism and fluidity.

42 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Despite being one of the greatest strikers to ever play in the PL it’s always felt like Aguero was a little underrated in some quarters of the media.

Who never rated him, one of the best strikers in the last 30 years.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

A Premier League legend and all time great goalscorer. I'm sure he's still got another few years in him, what do you think @eastynh? Maybe a return to Spain or Argentina...

Hes definitely got a few years left in him. He wants to stay at City as well, I am absolutely gutted. They should name the stadium after him. Never mind the Aguerooooo moment, but ths amount of winning goals against the best teams is just unreal. His minutes per goal record is the best on premier league history. To keep up that standard for a whole decade is unreal. He has not been one bit of trouble. Not only is he Manchester City's leading goal scorer, but he has scored more than anyone else in Mancunian football history.

It has been an absolute honour to see him play for City.

Not sure what his motivation is and whether he wants to play Champions League football. Personally I would like to see him at West Ham.

7 hours ago, eastynh said:

Not sure what his motivation is and whether he wants to play Champions League football. Personally I would like to see him at West Ham.

If only there were a Premier League club that look like playing Champion's League football next year who have a habit of offering big money contracts to squeeze a season or two out of past their prime strikers that they can pick up on a free.

I don't actually think it would happen but it'd be highly amusing if it did.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

If only there were a Premier League club that look like playing Champion's League football next year who have a habit of offering big money contracts to squeeze a season or two out of past their prime strikers that they can pick up on a free.

I don't actually think it would happen but it'd be highly amusing if it did.

So be it if he went there. After the service he has put in, how could you be begrudge him anything? He owes City nothing and wants to stay.

10 hours ago, thetime said:

Who never rated him, one of the best strikers in the last 30 years.

Rarely makes any teams of the year or wins any individual awards. Remember reading a piece about how his brilliance quickly became "normalised" ie people just expected that standard all the time from him and took it for granted.

His talent is noticed but I agree that it definitely isn't as lauded as the likes of Henry, Shearer and Rooney were (all in their own unique ways). . Maybe if he played for United it would be different. I think back in the day, Chelsea may have had the opportunity to sign him but weren't convinced. He would have been a brilliant replacement for Drogba but instead we got Torres. I vividly remember watching his debut (two goals, one out of the top drawer and an assist as well IIRC) and thinking wow, this guy could terrorise the league... And he did. No doubt about it, he has been the most lethal PL striker of the last decade.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

His talent is noticed but I agree that it definitely isn't as lauded as the likes of Henry, Shearer and Rooney were (all in their own unique ways). . Maybe if he played for United it would be different. I think back in the day, Chelsea may have had the opportunity to sign him but weren't convinced. He would have been a brilliant replacement for Drogba but instead we got Torres. I vividly remember watching his debut (two goals, one out of the top drawer and an assist as well IIRC) and thinking wow, this guy could terrorise the league... And he did. No doubt about it, he has been the most lethal PL striker of the last decade.

Not as beautiful in his play as the likes of Henry.