Latitude 2021

Chapple12345

21 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Latitude news.

Expect to see MPs and Ministers.......joy. Wonder if Hancock will show his face, being a local MP and all.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-57678190

There's already an MP on the lineup Jess Phillips - although not local (Labour Birmingham)

Without stage times or a clashfinder to obsess over, I’ve been left with a lot of free time, a list of names and a Spotify playlist. Over eight hours of music have been consumed through my ears and I’m finally ready to give my opinions on acts lower on the bill (so although I love Wolf Alice and Chems, they aren’t getting mentioned here) that I’d be happy to see clashes permitted.

There is absolutely no way I am going to be able to see all the music I’ve listed here, 18 artists, and not including headliners or acts higher on the bill (like Supergrass). I’m not that into dashing around stage to stage for 10 hours straight only catching parts of sets.

I’ve just made this so when the clashfinder and stage times do come out, I can decide fairly quickly of what I plan to see, as I most likely only have around a week to make a decision. Then I’ll be able to have that feeling that I’ve missed over the last two years of two of your favourite acts clashing (like Chems and Fontaines). I thought the line-up was good but when I dug a little deeper I found even more people I’d quite like to see. They’ll be plenty to keep me busy.

Sea Girls – These guys are great and one of the best gigs I’ve seen, the amount of energy they have live is amazing. Some of their songs are a little formulaic at times, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and almost every track bangs and they know how to write a chorus, hook and guitar line.

Top Track: All I Want To Hear You Say                                                                                                         

Genre: Indie-Rock

Squid – I fairly recently found out about these guys through the New Music thread and I think they’re really cool. It took a few listens to get into their new record ‘Bright Green Field’, but when you get into it, it’s a fantastic record. They sound pretty different to a lot of acts on the line-up and I’ll probably be down the front for this one. Oddly enough, their drummer is also the vocalist, not sure how many bands you get like that.

Top Track: Pamphlets

Genre: Post-Punk / Post-Rock

Arlo Parks – I also recently found about her through the Album of the Month votes and I think her sound is cool. It’s pretty chilled out songs that all kind of fit together on the album but with enough varying instrumentation and differences to keep each track feeling fresh and new. I’d happily stumble into the tent to hear her playing early on a Saturday morning.

Top Track: Eugene

Genre: Indie-Pop

Shame - These have been on my radar for a while and their new album is great. Their live shows seem pretty energetic and fun and they look like they have a great atmosphere. This is one I’ll definitely be down the front for clashes permitting, I think they’re awesome.

Top Track: One Rizla

Dry Cleaning – Another one that I discovered from the Album of the Month vote. I think this one could be a clash with Wolf Alice, which I’d have to miss these for but if their on later I’d try and make time to see them. I’ve got tickets to see them next year in Manchester with PVA supporting (who are also on this list) so it wouldn’t be too bad if I had to miss them. Their instrumentation is on point, especially the guitar playing. However, the lyrics sometimes aren’t my favourite, ‘I’ve been thinking about eating that hot dog for hours’. Anyway, I think their pretty cool and their album ‘New Long Long’ is in my top 10 albums of the year so far.

Top Track: Strong Feelings

Genre: Alternative Rock

Goat Girl – Missed these at Glastonbury as I wasn’t that into them at the time but their new album ‘On All Fours’ is a step up from their previous stuff in my opinion and a pretty underrated release this year, clashes permitting I’d be tempted to see them.

Top Track: Sad Cowboy

Genre: Alternative / Post-Rock

Bdrmm – Found these through the Spotify playlist and I think they’re cool. They’re one of those where I’m not particularly desperate to see any certain songs, I’d happily turn up and see a few songs. They’re pretty chilled out and groovy especially the bass and guitar. They’re playing on Sunday and would perfectly fit the slightly fatigued and tired feeling on a Sunday morning at a music festival.

Top Track: Gush

Genre: Shoegaze

Sorry – Had heard of these before but had never sook them out until now. Starstruck is a fantastic song and the way the two vocal layers work together and the slightly unconventional is really interesting. I remember hearing over on the Glasto forum that they weren’t especially good live, but I’d give them a chance.

Top Track: Starstuck

Bad Sounds – I’d never heard of these before listening to the Spotify playlist. They’re music isn’t really pushing any boundaries but it’s not trying to either. But it’s executed well in my opinion, and their choruses are well written and my favourite track of theirs, ‘I Feel’ makes you want to get up and move around.

Top Track: I Feel

Genre: Alternative Pop Rock

Just Mustard – I also found these through the Spotify playlist and their quite different. They have two vocalists, male and female, which they switch between mid-song and they provide really different feels but without it feeling jarring at all. Their songs convey quite a lot of emotion and the drums and guitar are really effective with the vocals.

Top Track: Deaf

Lucy Blue – One that I’d heard of before as I’d seen her on multiple festival line-ups but only properly listened to through the Spotify playlist. Her songs are great and I think she’ll go on to be fairly big. I started listening to her when she only had one song out so that one’s my favourite at the moment, but I’m sure the other’s will grow on me as she’s recently had an EP of songs come out. They’re fairly simply written songs, but they’re really effective and the lyricism is also great.

Top Track: See You Later

Genre: Chilled Pop

Phoebe ∆x∆ – Here’s one that has a fairly interesting story, she got discovered at Latitude Festival. She joined an open mic session at the festival with her friends when she was 17 and it caught the attention of BBC Introducing who then got her to play on that stage the next day, which then managed to get her a signing to a record label. I’m still waiting on being discovered by anyone anywhere, but it’s pretty cool to see someone get discovered like that and then go on to play the same place their career started. Her music is also great and she can do a lot with just a piano, her voice and barebones percussion.

Top Track: Hurts a Little Less

Sinead O Brien – Knew about her through the incredible label that is Speedy Wunderground which her song ‘Taking On Time’ featured on the four year edition, alongside bands like Black Midi, Squid and the insanely talented Black Country, New Road. Everything that label puts out is amazing and this is no different. This is someone I’d definitely be interested in seeing as I think she’s put out some fantastic tracks that are different to a lot of what you hear normally.

Top Track: Taking On Time

Genre: Post Punk

PVA – These are another one that has been produced and recorded by Speedy Wunderground. Their alternating female and male vocals work really well and the combination of guitars, drum beats as well as synths work seamlessly. I really hope I’ll be able to see these as I think their amazing and deserve a lot more attention than they currently have. If it’s a big clash and I’m not able to see them I’ll be able to catch with them with Dry Cleaning early next year.

Top Track: Exhaust / Surroundings

ME REX – These are a cool new band from South London. Their joint female and male vocals during parts of the song work super well and they support each other in a really cool way. Their songs are fairly simple but they work really well and the guitar, bass and drums are great on all of their songs.

Top Track: Heart of Garbage

Genre: Alternative Rock / Bedroom Pop

Swim School – Also found these through the Spotify playlist. The female vocalist is great and also coincidently reminds me of Wolf Alice, who they credit as inspiration. I think they’re a great new indie band and one to watch out for. Their guitar lines are also really well written.

Top Track: Sway

Fake Laugh – Another one found through the Spotify playlist. It’s pretty chilled out, simple and effective Indie Pop with some interesting use of both rhythm and lead guitar. It’s fairly surface level but it’s enjoyable to listen to when you want to chill out and relax.

Top Track: Better For Me

Genre: Alternative Indie Pop

Wet Leg – I found these through the Spotify playlist and it’s pretty wild to see the amount of hype they’re getting, 79,000 monthly listeners with only one song out? That’s crazy! Their sound is really cool and the track is super catchy and the spoken word style vocals work perfectly with the track in the background and the guitar and drums fit in so well. I think they’re set for pretty big things and I imagine they’ll get a fairly sizable crowd depending on when they play.

Top Track: Chaise Longue

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

15 minutes ago, dj_tim said:

Yeah nice one, a lot of those acts had stood out to me too but I've added a few more to my list to check out. Really liking bdrmm in particular, they remind me of DIIV.

love DIIV. I’d never heard them til a barista on the coffee cart by Hungerford Bridge was playing something from Deceiver and sold me on them! I went to see them at the Invisible Wind Factory - one of my happiest moments just prior to Covid 

2 hours ago, mikegday said:

Thank you! Added Lucy Blue, Phoebe, ME REX and swim school.

I’ve really enjoyed listening to ‘Lucia & The Best Boys’. Don’t know if you’ve gave them a whirl. 

Exactly who I was going to mention, a lot of good tracks.

Kawala and THE GOA EXPRESS are two other decent indie bands

33 minutes ago, Mackem said:

love DIIV. I’d never heard them til a barista on the coffee cart by Hungerford Bridge was playing something from Deceiver and sold me on them! I went to see them at the Invisible Wind Factory - one of my happiest moments just prior to Covid 

Same, loved all 3 of their albums, managed to see them for the first time in Birmingham just before covid too, really glad I got that gig in!

15 hours ago, Miyn said:

Without stage times or a clashfinder to obsess over, I’ve been left with a lot of free time, a list of names and a Spotify playlist. Over eight hours of music have been consumed through my ears and I’m finally ready to give my opinions on acts lower on the bill (so although I love Wolf Alice and Chems, they aren’t getting mentioned here) that I’d be happy to see clashes permitted.

There is absolutely no way I am going to be able to see all the music I’ve listed here, 18 artists, and not including headliners or acts higher on the bill (like Supergrass). I’m not that into dashing around stage to stage for 10 hours straight only catching parts of sets.

I’ve just made this so when the clashfinder and stage times do come out, I can decide fairly quickly of what I plan to see, as I most likely only have around a week to make a decision. Then I’ll be able to have that feeling that I’ve missed over the last two years of two of your favourite acts clashing (like Chems and Fontaines). I thought the line-up was good but when I dug a little deeper I found even more people I’d quite like to see. They’ll be plenty to keep me busy.

Sea Girls – These guys are great and one of the best gigs I’ve seen, the amount of energy they have live is amazing. Some of their songs are a little formulaic at times, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and almost every track bangs and they know how to write a chorus, hook and guitar line.

Top Track: All I Want To Hear You Say                                                                                                         

Genre: Indie-Rock

Squid – I fairly recently found out about these guys through the New Music thread and I think they’re really cool. It took a few listens to get into their new record ‘Bright Green Field’, but when you get into it, it’s a fantastic record. They sound pretty different to a lot of acts on the line-up and I’ll probably be down the front for this one. Oddly enough, their drummer is also the vocalist, not sure how many bands you get like that.

Top Track: Pamphlets

Arlo Parks – I also recently found about her through the Album of the Month votes and I think her sound is cool. It’s pretty chilled out songs that all kind of fit together on the album but with enough varying instrumentation and differences to keep each track feeling fresh and new. I’d happily stumble into the tent to hear her playing early on a Saturday morning.

Top Track: Eugene

Genre: Indie-Pop

Shame - These have been on my radar for a while and their new album is great. Their live shows seem pretty energetic and fun and they look like they have a great atmosphere. This is one I’ll definitely be down the front for clashes permitting, I think they’re awesome.

Top Track: One Rizla

Dry Cleaning – Another one that I discovered from the Album of the Month vote. I think this one could be a clash with Wolf Alice, which I’d have to miss these for but if their on later I’d try and make time to see them. I’ve got tickets to see them next year in Manchester with PVA supporting (who are also on this list) so it wouldn’t be too bad if I had to miss them. Their instrumentation is on point, especially the guitar playing. However, the lyrics sometimes aren’t my favourite, ‘I’ve been thinking about eating that hot dog for hours’. Anyway, I think their pretty cool and their album ‘New Long Long’ is in my top 10 albums of the year so far.

Top Track: Strong Feelings

Goat Girl – Missed these at Glastonbury as I wasn’t that into them at the time but their new album ‘On All Fours’ is a step up from their previous stuff in my opinion and a pretty underrated release this year, clashes permitting I’d be tempted to see them.

Top Track: Sad Cowboy

Bdrmm – Found these through the Spotify playlist and I think they’re cool. They’re one of those where I’m not particularly desperate to see any certain songs, I’d happily turn up and see a few songs. They’re pretty chilled out and groovy especially the bass and guitar. They’re playing on Sunday and would perfectly fit the slightly fatigued and tired feeling on a Sunday morning at a music festival.

Top Track: Gush

Genre: Shoegaze

Sorry – Had heard of these before but had never sook them out until now. Starstruck is a fantastic song and the way the two vocal layers work together and the slightly unconventional is really interesting. I remember hearing over on the Glasto forum that they weren’t especially good live, but I’d give them a chance.

Top Track: Starstuck

Bad Sounds – I’d never heard of these before listening to the Spotify playlist. They’re music isn’t really pushing any boundaries but it’s not trying to either. But it’s executed well in my opinion, and their choruses are well written and my favourite track of theirs, ‘I Feel’ makes you want to get up and move around.

Top Track: I Feel

Genre: Alternative Pop Rock

Just Mustard – I also found these through the Spotify playlist and their quite different. They have two vocalists, male and female, which they switch between mid-song and they provide really different feels but without it feeling jarring at all. Their songs convey quite a lot of emotion and the drums and guitar are really effective with the vocals.

Top Track: Deaf

Lucy Blue – One that I’d heard of before as I’d seen her on multiple festival line-ups but only properly listened to through the Spotify playlist. Her songs are great and I think she’ll go on to be fairly big. I started listening to her when she only had one song out so that one’s my favourite at the moment, but I’m sure the other’s will grow on me as she’s recently had an EP of songs come out. They’re fairly simply written songs, but they’re really effective and the lyricism is also great.

Top Track: See You Later

Phoebe – Here’s one that has a fairly interesting story, she got discovered at Latitude Festival. She joined an open mic session at the festival with her friends when she was 17 and it caught the attention of BBC Introducing who then got her to play on that stage the next day, which then managed to get her a signing to a record label. I’m still waiting on being discovered by anyone anywhere, but it’s pretty cool to see someone get discovered like that and then go on to play the same place their career started. Her music is also great and she can do a lot with just a piano, her voice and barebones percussion.

Top Track: Hurts a Little Less

Sinead O Brien – Knew about her through the incredible label that is Speedy Wunderground which her song ‘Taking On Time’ featured on the four year edition, alongside bands like Black Midi, Squid and the insanely talented Black Country, New Road. Everything that label puts out is amazing and this is no different. This is someone I’d definitely be interested in seeing as I think she’s put out some fantastic tracks that are different to a lot of what you hear normally.

Top Track: Taking On Time

PVA – These are another one that has been produced and recorded by Speedy Wunderground. Their alternating female and male vocals work really well and the combination of guitars, drum beats as well as synths work seamlessly. I really hope I’ll be able to see these as I think their amazing and deserve a lot more attention than they currently have. If it’s a big clash and I’m not able to see them I’ll be able to catch with them with Dry Cleaning early next year.

ME REX – These are a cool new band from South London. Their joint female and male vocals during parts of the song work super well and they support each other in a really cool way. Their songs are fairly simple but they work really well and the guitar, bass and drums are great on all of their songs.

Top Track: Heart of Garbage

Genre: Alternative Rock / Bedroom Pop

Swim School – Also found these through the Spotify playlist. The female vocalist is great and also coincidently reminds me of Wolf Alice, who they credit as inspiration. I think they’re a great new indie band and one to watch out for. Their guitar lines are also really well written.

Top Track: Sway

Fake Laugh – Another one found through the Spotify playlist. It’s pretty chilled out, simple and effective Indie Pop with some interesting use of both rhythm and lead guitar. It’s fairly surface level but it’s enjoyable to listen to when you want to chill out and relax.

Top Track: Better For Me

Genre: Alternative Indie Pop

Wet Leg – I found these through the Spotify playlist and it’s pretty wild to see the amount of hype they’re getting, 79,000 monthly listeners with only one song out? That’s crazy! Their sound is really cool and the track is super catchy and the spoken word style vocals work perfectly with the track in the background and the guitar and drums fit in so well. I think they’re set for pretty big things and I imagine they’ll get a fairly sizable crowd depending on when they play.

Top Track: Chaise Longue

Nice one! Will get stuck into the ones I haven't heard- liked Lucy blue and Shame when I listened,

And I saw Sea Girls at Reading, really like their music and live show. From the lineup and assumed timings I think they may be the first live show back for me since lockdowns started, it looks like first on Friday main stage

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Nice one! Will get stuck into the ones I haven't heard- liked Lucy blue and Shame when I listened,

And I saw Sea Girls at Reading, really like their music and live show. From the lineup and assumed timings I think they may be the first live show back for me since lockdowns started, it looks like first on Friday main stage

Seems they put something on Thursday (Frank Turner in 2019) unless your getting there late! 🙂 

7 minutes ago, KesyerSoze21 said:

What's the likelihood of bands being added from other festivals which aren't going ahead that weekend? 

Would be great if they can grab the likes of Magic Gang, Snuts, Vistas or Circa Waves from Truck Festival. IDLES would be epic, but  doubt it as they'd demand a big spot. 

I think bands will be lining up to play honestly, i don't think the general rules apply. IDLES could definitely rock up and play a secret set or something

26 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think bands will be lining up to play honestly, i don't think the general rules apply. IDLES could definitely rock up and play a secret set or something

Yeah that's what I'm hoping - Latitude is going to be a historic event as the first full festival after lockdown! 

51 minutes ago, gfa said:

That was one of the strangest things I saw at Lat a couple of years ago........the IDLES mosh pit seemingly composed of middleaged men in Rohan and Craghoppers, crowd surfing, covered in sweat, and then returning to the fray endlessly as they were recycled by security over the barrier. It was like accountants gone wild.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KesyerSoze21 said:

What's the likelihood of bands being added from other festivals which aren't going ahead that weekend? 

Would be great if they can grab the likes of Magic Gang, Snuts, Vistas or Circa Waves from Truck Festival. IDLES would be epic, but  doubt it as they'd demand a big spot. 

I don't know specifically about those acts, as there's not a lot of space left on the biggest 3 stages which is where you'd expect most of those names to go if they were playing - but there should be 3 more music stages with no acts announced yet.

Maybe a couple of them could be Lake Stage headliners, if those spots weren't already locked in, but any lower than that would feel like too big a drop.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't know specifically about those acts, as there's not a lot of space left on the biggest 3 stages which is where you'd expect most of those names to go if they were playing - but there should be 3 more music stages with no acts announced yet.

Maybe a couple of them could be Lake Stage headliners, if those spots weren't already locked in, but any lower than that would feel like too big a drop.

That's my thinking too, especially when  you have a few special guest slots already like Bill Bailey and Supergrass. I could potentially see some secret sets or something but don't think there's much space left for major acts like this to be added sadly 

33 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Why is there no Lake Stage listed on the website?

Presumably either because they've not announced it yet, or because they've sneakily dropped it without telling anyone.

Hopefully the former, but the latter is quite possible as well.

Edit: Same applies for SOLAS.

Edited by incident

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Presumably either because they've not announced it yet, or because they've sneakily dropped it without telling anyone.

Hopefully the former, but the latter is quite possible as well.

Edit: Same applies for SOLAS.

Cheers

On 7/2/2021 at 12:11 AM, Miyn said:

Good list!

Having caught PVA again this week (and the first time I've seen them headline a night), they've massively evolved their live set recently from a kind of electro post-punk into a something which could easily work in a late-night dance tent. There's still the post-punk influence there and they've always been danceable, but the beats are huge on the newer songs. I hope they get a late night set!

On 7/2/2021 at 6:29 PM, Copperface said:

Why is there no Lake Stage listed on the website?

Just to add to others’ explanations, it is usually announced later than the initial line-up; I think because it’s been hosted/curated by Huw Stephens & tends to be entirely up-and-comers so I suppose bookings can be slightly closer to the fest