When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

ummm. 

I hate to ask this but...

Mass gatherings are not going to happen until a vacine is produced and they are saying 1/1.5 years at best. 

Glastonbury 2021 is very much looking 50/50 is it not?

We'll probably know more in regards to large scale events and timeline when they will be back around October ticket/resale dates. Of course it's not just festivals but sports events/etc that will be affected.  I'm not sure if some system of taking temperature at entrance / masks worn / paperwork showing you have antibodies, would be in place by then.  Having an effective vaccine in 1-2 years is optimistic indeed IF an effective vaccine can be produced.  In the meantime I do have faith that if there is a way to get GF 2021 going ahead Emily and Michael will do everything it takes.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

The disease may be under control but what will the world look like? Will international air travel be back to how it was? There are people on here that fly in from australia and the states, many artists will only be available if concert tours are back on and financially viable, will people have the money for £100 concert tickets next year if unemployment tanks? I hope i'm wrong but I suspect things are going to get a lot worse over the next few months. Life as we knew it is gone for the forseeable future.

You say this but there was a Glastonbury in 2009, along with countless other gigs. There were still Theatres, Music Venues and Jazz Clubs in 1930. 

3 minutes ago, TorontoScot said:

We'll probably know more in regards to large scale events and timeline when they will be back around October ticket/resale dates. Of course it's not just festivals but sports events/etc that will be affected.  I'm not sure if some system of taking temperature at entrance / masks worn / paperwork showing you have antibodies, would be in place by then.  Having an effective vaccine in 1-2 years is optimistic indeed IF an effective vaccine can be produced.  In the meantime I do have faith that if there is a way to get GF 2021 going ahead Emily and Michael will do everything it takes.

An effective vaccine can be produced, it was produced within hours, as long as we know a viurses genetic code you can produce a multitude of different vaccines for it. There is absolutely no doubt that a vaccine can be produced, but expediting human trials and scaling up production in the hundreds of millions is what takes the time.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

This would be true if Governments were going to wait until the Virus was eradicated but they aren’t. As soon as they judge their Health Services can cope they want people back out earning and spending money.

Surely it's a balanced approach that's required? Eradication would mean preventing everyone from leaving their homes, no international movements (including incoming food supplies), no working whatsoever unless at home etc etc....so we have almost no economy left and therefore no money to pay for any services such as the NHS and no one wishing to lend to a bankrupt country?

Getting the right balance is the challenge.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Masks on public transport seems to be 100% the way forward.

The tone of this is a bit misleading though. The government are getting grief over the lack of PPE for NHS staff, encouraging 66m people to go and buy them would’ve been a suicidal policy at the outset. There is no doubt they will help as a way to control the virus post lockdown, but encouraging their use pre lockdown would’ve been a disaster. Time was always needed to be able to introduce them wholesale for the public.

It could be lives vs. lives rather than lives vs. money. Rumours of modelling shown to government indicating up to 150,000 deaths because of the lockdown, with many other diseases and conditions going untreated at present, one illustration of this the dramatic drop in A&E attendance. Another example, one that I'm connected to at Greater Manchester Cancer, is the pause in many cancer treatments that should have taken place over recent weeks.

Screenshot (9).png

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The tone of this is a bit misleading though. The government are getting grief over the lack of PPE for NHS staff, encouraging 66m people to go and buy them would’ve been a suicidal policy at the outset. There is doubt they will help as a way to control the virus post lockdown, but encouraging their use pre lockdown would’ve been a disaster. 

Not the same type of masks though Nobby...no need for FFP2/3 masks for this to work, 3 layer surgical masks that offer no protection to the wearer, but reduce spread from the wearer are what’s required. Healthcare staff need proper PPE (masks, visors/goggles, gowns etc)...in fact, lots of the PPE being sourced that is unsuitable for the NHS is perfect for this. Should be repurposed for public use.

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it isn't overwhelmed because lockdown is working.

I saw an expert say last week that the number of cases won't exceed the number of beds available.

I've stepped back from the 24/7 news since, but the more recent vibe in Twitter seems to be that we are on course for the worst result in Europe. 

Anyone know which is true (I assume they are mutually exclusive)?

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Not the same type of masks though Nobby...no need for FFP2/3 masks for this to work, 3 layer surgical masks that offer no protection to the wearer, but reduce spread from the wearer are what’s required. Healthcare staff need proper PPE (masks, visors/goggles, gowns etc)...in fact, lots of the PPE being sourced that is unsuitable for the NHS is perfect for this. Should be repurposed for public use.

Yup. Its not to stop people catching the virus but to stop people with the virus spreading it.

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

But a video from Australia showing people panic buying Toilet roll lead to the shelves here being completely cleared of toilet roll. If the government said to the public wear a mask, would that not have in anyway lead to a disruption in supply lines for the masks medical staff actually need? Or would there be no way the general public would have had way of getting hold of the ones medical staff need? Genuine question, I have no idea. I would’ve thought people would’ve tried to get hold of any mask, regardless of the type.

Just now, Homer said:

I believe that the correct approach is that we can make our own easily enough and leave the professionally made ones for the professionals.

It’s the correct approach, but based on our behaviour over toilet rolls and pasta, would you trust the general public to have taken the correct approach at the outset of this?

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But a video from Australia showing people panic buying Toilet roll lead to the shelves here being completely cleared of toilet roll. If the government said to the public wear a mask, would that not have in anyway lead to a disruption in supply lines for the masks medical staff actually need? Or would there be no way the general public would have had way of getting hold of the ones medical staff need? Genuine question, I have no idea. I would’ve thought people would’ve tried to get hold of any mask, regardless of the type.

Members of the public cant get that level of PPE surely? Health professionals have no use for the stuff easily available

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s actually easy enough to buy masks online at the moment, even the ones the NHS needs (in small amounts, not at the volume they need them), but you are correct, people will panic buy the wrong things. Rolling out mandatory mask wearing needs a coordinated approach. Also needs a public information campaign to tell everyone how and when to use them correctly, and also needs a coordinated approach to disposal. Some cost involved, but you would expect that to be offset by the fact that the economy starts to function again. Allowing a free for all on masks would be a bad idea, just needs to be properly thought through then implemented.

Just now, zahidf said:

Members of the public cant get that level of PPE surely? Health professionals have no use for the stuff easily available

I’ve no idea, that’s why I asked. But at the outset of all this of the government advice would have been to wear a mask, my assumption about the wider public would be for them to panic and look to procure any mask they could.

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

It’s actually easy enough to buy masks online at the moment, even the ones the NHS needs (in small amounts, not at the volume they need them), but you are correct, people will panic buy the wrong things. Rolling out mandatory mask wearing needs a coordinated approach. Also needs a public information campaign to tell everyone how and when to use them correctly, and also needs a coordinated approach to disposal. Some cost involved, but you would expect that to be offset by the fact that the economy starts to function again. Allowing a free for all on masks would be a bad idea, just needs to be properly thought through then implemented.

I assume we would be copying the spain, Poland and Germany approach.

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If the government made mask mandatory then those masks would have to come from somewhere, and chances are they would come from the manufacturer’s who supply the NHS. It’s pretty safe to say not wanting to affect the supply to the NHS is the main reason behind the decision not to make masks mandatory.