When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

but if pubs do what they're supposed to do then they can keep social distancing, and do the contact tracing thing...who knows what's going on in people's houses.

We're not at the point of "ifs" now.  The pubs have been open for ages, and people have been able to meet each other in the home for ages.  If we're going to say that the argument has been won one way or the other, then that implies that we have some data.  If we do, I've not seen it.

25 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I can keep social distancing in my house and have a 100% accurate contact tracing system for my house (I know when people have been here and have their numbers).

The one argument is that it's easier to enforce in pubs, but it's not being enforced - certainly people visiting restaurants and pubs with people from other households are being seated more closely than they are in my house...

I think there's another issue with size of the rooms - even 2 metres apart in my house I wouldn't be confident of not catching it off someone in the same room due to the size of the room. Some pubs and bars are the same but many are big and airy. 2 metres isn't a magical barrier, just reduces the chances. 

Ventilation supposedly helps but people simply won't do that now as it gets colder. 

Unfortunately I think they're right on the meeting in homes thing

Edited by efcfanwirral

All the rules will be balancing the economy, private & personal financial interests of govt and key backers, infection rates, political gain and public perception of their handling of this. Possibly a couple of others.

When you think of it in those terms and accept they're balancing all those things, and probably not with the same degrees of importance as Joe Public, it makes more sense.

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think they're right about the meeting in homes thing, and actually disagree with the new rules which have actually relaxed somewhat (from 6 people max 2 households to any 6 people) but while becoming law rather than guidance.

I just disagree on the pubs thing. If they could keep pubs closed with no impact on the economy they absolutely would. No question.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I just disagree on the pubs thing. If they could keep pubs closed with no impact on the economy they absolutely would. No question.

Don't underestimate the importance of chucking carrots like that to the masses in getting support for what they're doing. Referencing Orwell is getting tired these days (mainly because it's popping up every 5 minutes with depressing accuracy) but it's very 1984.

I'm not dismissing people who place importance on stuff like that as stupid or anything like that at all, but it's a snippet of normality that people can have back in their lives in the face of all this madness.  A few infections would be seen as worth it to keep people a bit happier.

Edited by Quark

31 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think there's another issue with size of the rooms - even 2 metres apart in my house I wouldn't be confident of not catching it off someone in the same room due to the size of the room. Some pubs and bars are the same but many are big and airy. 2 metres isn't a magical barrier, just reduces the chances. 

Ventilation supposedly helps but people simply won't do that now as it gets colder. 

Yeah, impossible for anyone to be 2m apart in my shitty little house. And our windows are painted shut at the front! Suprised I'm still alive to be honest.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, well I used to smoke...so was very much used to the smell.

Sorry, that was a bit pissy now I read it back :D

Even smokers I know have almost to a man said that they preferred it when the rules changed, so it's always a surprise to find someone who actually misses it.

I will concede that I miss that yellow sheen it gave the windows, as that did create a light that definitely said "you are now in a pub" :)

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Even smokers I know have almost to a man said that they preferred it when the rules changed, so it's always a surprise to find someone who actually misses it.

I will concede that I miss that yellow sheen it gave the windows, as that did create a light that definitely said "you are now in a pub" :)

I used to love sitting in a pub all day and evening drinking and smoking my way to an early grave. Once the smoke was gone  you could see and smell everyone properly...and all the nice friendly smokers had to huddle outside for a ciggy.

Anyway, don't smoke anymore..and it all seems like a distant memory now.

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Always thought that initially after the smoking ban the real smell of stale booze, sick and other things were quite nicely masked by the smoke ! Still wont go into a pub with poor social distance measures.  I will admit to going into boozers that are relaxed on providing details (They ask but really aren't arsed) 

Just now, faymondo said:

Always thought that initially after the smoking ban the real smell of stale booze, sick and other things were quite nicely masked by the smoke ! Still wont go into a pub with poor social distance measures.  I will admit to going into boozers that are relaxed on providing details (They ask but really aren't arsed) 

Haven't been in a pub yet. I'm not a massive drinker these days, and the people I do drink with are scattered around the country so it's not really been something I've missed tbh. Always a rare occurrence, with the exception of a post-work Friday pint. But that's with colleagues rather than friends (sounds harsh I know) so also not really been an issue!