When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

The circumstance that in Germany AZ is the only available option for all people over 60-yrs now seems to have some positive aspects as Deutsche Tagesschau stated:

The rush for vaccination appointments for over 60-year-olds in North Rhine-Westphalia already led to overloaded lines on the phone and on the Internet early on Saturday morning. While many chose to have their fingers sore in vain, the first successful appointment hunters got their vaccinations on the same day. The group from 60 years of age comes out of the usual sequence after the Standing Vaccination Commission recommended that Astrazeneca no longer use the preparation for younger people. The background is cases of blood clots (thromboses) in cerebral veins. In this way 450,000 vaccine doses were released in the short term in North Rhine-Westphalia alone. According to the Ministry of Health, there are potentially around 3.8 million people between 60 and 79 years of age in NRW who can try to register for this Astrazeneca batch.

I love that phrase. Describes glastonbury ticket day perfectly....

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

My mate just told me he pretended to be a unpaid carer to get the covid jab as he is going Turkey soon and doesn't want any issues.  Can't blame him really.

Good for him. Someone has got to have it, and anyone who is ahead of him in the queue should have had the chance by now.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

My understanding of the single dose J&J is its only as good as a single Astra for example.  They was talking about doing a double dose of it at one point.  That might have changed. 

That's approximately how I understand it - but kind of doesn't matter, because it (specifically meaning the 1-shot potency of AZ) hasn't been proven to sufficiently high standard.

The Oxford vaccine is approved as a 2-shot vaccine because that's what the trial data is based on, likewise the J+J vaccine is (currently) being evaluated as a 1-shot vaccine for the same reasons.

There is a (UK based) trial underway to evaluate the potential gains from using J+J as 2-shots - but given that it's being disrupted by the speed of the rollout of other vaccines and the massive reduction in overall cases, it may not produce data as quickly as had been thought.

Ultimately, the MHRA can only approve (or deny) based on the information in front of them. If they approve a 1-shot vaccine, then 1-shot (using that vaccine) has to be treated as fully vaccinated, even if the protection isn't as strong as with 2-shots of something else. And if something is approved as 2-shots, then 1-shot can't be considered sufficient even if it's thought to be as good as the approved 1-shot vaccine.

16 minutes ago, incident said:

That's approximately how I understand it - but kind of doesn't matter, because it (specifically meaning the 1-shot potency of AZ) hasn't been proven to sufficiently high standard.

The Oxford vaccine is approved as a 2-shot vaccine because that's what the trial data is based on, likewise the J+J vaccine is (currently) being evaluated as a 1-shot vaccine for the same reasons.

There is a (UK based) trial underway to evaluate the potential gains from using J+J as 2-shots - but given that it's being disrupted by the speed of the rollout of other vaccines and the massive reduction in overall cases, it may not produce data as quickly as had been thought.

Ultimately, the MHRA can only approve (or deny) based on the information in front of them. If they approve a 1-shot vaccine, then 1-shot (using that vaccine) has to be treated as fully vaccinated, even if the protection isn't as strong as with 2-shots of something else. And if something is approved as 2-shots, then 1-shot can't be considered sufficient even if it's thought to be as good as the approved 1-shot vaccine.

Other countries don't have to accept it though, although I expect they probably will - depends if the data on two doses actually comes in.

Just met a mate outside for the first time since December 2nd! Felt like a b ig step socially for me and was lovely. So nice to chat to someone in real life aside from my partner. Thought it'd be a lot colder than it was too. Actually very pleasant out 🙂

Feeling pretty optimistic!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

My mate just told me he pretended to be a unpaid carer to get the covid jab as he is going Turkey soon and doesn't want any issues.  Can't blame him really.

you definitely can blame him.

"what did you do during the COVID pandemic?"

"oh just faked being a carer so I was vaccinated sooner than others who needed it more"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oof. April is second dose month alright.

This is why I think the 30s are unlikely to be jabbed in April.

Yeah I'd be absolutely shocked if I got anywhere near it before mid to late May to be honest (not that I'm waiting for it to take advantage of any reopenings). 

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a need for a drive to get many done in a short amount of time when novavax then j&j get started - the infrastructure is there. Maybe when they hit a certain age group they'll open a more free for all type system

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Other countries don't have to accept it though, although I expect they probably will - depends if the data on two doses actually comes in.

Obviously other countries don't have to accept anything they don't want to - but most countries are likely to have approved the J+J jab in a 1-shot regime before long anyway (EU, US, and Canada amongst others already have), and so it'd be baffling if they decided it wasn't acceptable for visitors.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Purely talking about festivals, it's very hard to imagine non socially distanced festivals this summer when we're hearing things like this. 

We know where the weaknesses are with testing so it's better to group the weaknesses together if it can be done easily enough which it can in stadiums.