When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The Euros starts at the beginning of the Summer in early June.

The vaccine programme aims to have got everyone a vaccine with the effect kicking in by 20 August.

We know they're not planning for full stadiums by June as:

a) you can't be only planning to open up restaurants in May and then have full stadiums in June. Too rapid a transition, even with testing.

b) the leak says >4,000 people in stadiums. Does that sound like full stadiums.?

Who says you need all adults to be vaccinated before you can have outdoor crowds? 

6 minutes ago, km9 said:

>4000 means more than 4000, you know that don't you?

No need to be patronising and please re-read the comments.

The debate was about whether the stadiums would be full

'much bigger than 4,000 people' points to not being full.

The wording is telling.  Why have that phrasing when you could have 'will be full' or 'they're aiming for full stadiums'.

4 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

Who says you need all adults to be vaccinated before you can have outdoor crowds? 

That's a strawman argument.

Of course you don't need all adults vaccinated before outdoor crowds.

But I believe you need more adults vaccinated before you have FULL mass events.

And that June 11 is just too soon. Look at the roadmap.

I'd be much more optimistic for September and possibly August.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

But no one is saying full crowds for the stadiums, just a lot busier tgab before. Could be 50% full 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

articles like this makes me laugh where the main objection is the limited accuracy of the tests and missing some infected people.... while completely ignoring that no testing whatsoever would be done of those kids without school testing and *all* infected kids would be missed.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But no one is saying full crowds for the stadiums, just a lot busier tgab before. Could be 50% full 

I am. If most adults apart from probably under 40’s maybe even under 30’s have had their first dose + 3 weeks by June and mass rapid testing is available then why not? If those things aren’t going to unlock society then why has billions of taxpayers money been spent on it. 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

I am. If most adults apart from probably under 40’s maybe even under 30’s have had their first dose + 3 weeks by June and mass rapid testing is available then why not? If those things aren’t going to unlock society then why has billions of taxpayers money been spent on it. 

Oh, I agree we should get rid of restrictions if we have most vulnerable people with a jab. June may be a little early for that, as I think they'd want a second dose for them at least. Saying that 50% capacity is fine 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I’m just listening to him .. he’s just said they have fallen partly due to the new quarunteen measures .... I mean yes I’m sure this will stop some cases ... but how on earth is he able to say this .. given we have only had this for less than a week 

7 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

On not this again...because if they re-open too much, too soon, it will lead to bad health outcomes.

And in my view having 90,000 people huddled together at Wembley stadium and on the way to Wembley Stadium by June 11 is too soon.  Not to mention that having good quality mass rapid testing by then is far from certain.

Maybe the 'taxpayer money' saving vast numbers of lives, allowing the NHS to start functioning fully again and allowing most of the economy to reopen by Summer could still represent good value for money? The argument put forward is pretty facile.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I’m just listening to him .. he’s just said they have fallen partly due to the new quarunteen measures .... I mean yes I’m sure this will stop some cases ... but how on earth is he able to say this .. given we have only had this for less than a week 

Yeah, that's scientifically illiterate isn't it.

He's also dismissed the reports on the UK having the Euros

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/uk-euro-2020-host-matt-hancock-b920637.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1613901147

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I just don’t get it anymore.  The idea was we needed lots to be vaccinated for things to open up.  Will we get to the point the following summer where everyone has to be re-vaccinated, and the summer after that etc....

Surely once most are protected, the NHS won’t be overwhelmed and the country can get back to normality?! 

Anecdotal evidence means very little but I was surprised to talk to a couple of people in work who’ve been ultra-cautious and critical of the Government all the way through and have them go straight into ‘why is it going so slowly, whats the point in Vaccines if we can’t open up?’ I’ve seen similar from a couple of family members. I wonder if they’re about to misjudge the public mood again.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sisco said:

I just don’t get it anymore.  The idea was we needed lots to be vaccinated for things to open up.  Will we get to the point the following summer where everyone has to be re-vaccinated, and the summer after that etc....

Surely once most are protected, the NHS won’t be overwhelmed and the country can get back to normality?! 

I think we might need to get even more vaccinated to do extreme things like filling stadiums.  Three weeks after everyone has had their second dose is after June sadly.  We'll get there, and this year.  

And we'll be able to do plenty of things by June, just not gathering people in crowds to shout.

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

Anecdotal evidence means very little but I was surprised to talk to a couple of people in work who’ve been ultra-cautious and critical of the Government all the way through and have them go straight into ‘why is it going so slowly, whats the point in Vaccines if we can’t open up?’ I’ve seen similar from a couple of family members. I wonder if they’re about to misjudge the public mood again.

They finally work out how to be cautious, just as the population changes its mind! 😄

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is nonsense. Pupils get tested here every few days and it works pretty well. Also the cases found in school are pretty low.