When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Okay this is incredible. This has actually really cheered me up. They've all made been made to look like lying idiots and I am 100% here for it.

Me too, maybe just maybe this will will mean the beginning of the end for them.

6 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Sophy Ridge basically asking the questions that are in the Labour letter, bank holiday weekend news cycle is going to be quite slow, this will go on until Tuesday, at least. 

I am 100% a nerd, I'm going to set an alarm to watch this tomorrow morning. I can't wait.

Quite remarkable the levels of power and control Cummings has over the current government - a scandal like this would have seen off any other Tory front bencher in a matter of hours, and I’m not even sure that Boris would have survived this. 
He’s essentially running the UK in the background and controlling his puppets on a string. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

My word, it's rare to see such a monumental moment in the press dunking on the government. A historically good draw-out: Laura K, Harry Cole, Fraser Nelson and all the other Tory mouthpieces in the press are utterly silent online, whereas last night they were straight to Twitter to defend Dom. I would expect a third punch from the Mirror/Guardian tomorrow now too, just for impact.

You'd imagine some of the younger + more aspirational MPs in and out the cabinet are livid at being told to fall in line publicly then getting stitched up before the day is done.

This is truly the good shit, we should all savour it.

I am savouring it, for the first time since December this feels like a win. The Tories don't like to be made fools of, look at Theresa May. They won't tolerate this from Johnson forever. Polls are closing in too.

Meanwhile Starmer hasn't done a thing. What a day.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I agree with the notion that we should be targeting the current attack on Cummings clearly breaking the lockdown rules. Getting in to the territory of "he put lives at risk" gives them more to argue against. It's obvious and clear he broke the rules, and when the journalists focused on that line of questioning earlier it was clearly very uncomfortable for Shapps, because they know he is in the wrong and they're having to scramble and lie to protect him. If the questions were more geared towards him putting lives in danger, there are too many ways they can weasel out of that argument.

The most effect way to attack them on this is to keep it simple and to the black and white facts; he was involved in the lockdown planning and guidance and clearly broke it. The Tories will want us to start arguing about him endangering lives because they know they can argue the toss on that one. I completely agree it was a needlessly dangerous move that was a risk to his parents, and to anyone he likely encountered at a service station or wherever, but unfortunately when you're arguing with Daily Mail types I think it's best to stay simple and to the point. Nuance doesn't work with them.

Fascinated to hear Starmer's argument on this. He's been anonymous today and I feel like he's busy lawyering away preparing a big attack.

Maybe he's gone away for the weekend, it's a bank holiday after all!  Not entirely joking, all politicians (with a few exceptions i guess) consider themselves the ruling class and that the rules don't really apply to them, we've seen it countless times over the years, with the expenses scandal etc. the way they tried to cover for Cummings today shows how little respect any of them have for the public, if this was a Labour government and a Labour MP they would be the same, just like the SNP tried to do a few weeks ago. Cummings has to go tomorrow or Boris loses any little credibility he has.

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

Quite remarkable the levels of power and control Cummings has over the current government - a scandal like this would have seen off any other Tory front bencher in a matter of hours, and I’m not even sure that Boris would have survived this. 
He’s essentially running the UK in the background and controlling his puppets on a string. 

Boris would have survived this. He just won a landslide.

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is pulled from the show. Especially with this new information.

If he’s pulled from the show it’ll be catastrophic given that Sky have already said he’s due to appear AND sent the questions in advance. 

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Maybe he's gone away for the weekend, it's a bank holiday after all!  Not entirely joking, all politicians (with a few exceptions i guess) consider themselves the ruling class and that the rules don't really apply to them, we've seen it countless times over the years, with the expenses scandal etc. the way they tried to cover for Cummings today shows how little respect any of them have for the public, if this was a Labour government and a Labour MP they would be the same, just like the SNP tried to do a few weeks ago. Cummings has to go tomorrow or Boris loses any little credibility he has.

Starmer doesn't have to say anything just yet. Press is destroying Cummings for him

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

My word, it's rare to see such a monumental moment in the press dunking on the government. A historically good draw-out: Laura K, Harry Cole, Fraser Nelson and all the other Tory mouthpieces in the press are utterly silent online, whereas last night they were straight to Twitter to defend Dom. I would expect a third punch from the Mirror/Guardian tomorrow now too, just for impact.

You'd imagine some of the younger + more aspirational MPs in and out the cabinet are livid at being told to fall in line publicly then getting stitched up before the day is done.

This is truly the good shit, we should all savour it.

Rishi Sunak turned up out of the blue to the second most powerful position in government, paid everyone's wages, talked eloquently at press conferences and now he looks like an absolute trumpet after this.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

These things only ever end one way, there is no way he hangs on, none at all. 

Here's hoping. I wont be surprised if he does hang on though. Seeing the bootlickers out in force on twitter isn't doing much to drive down my pessimism.

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

just like the SNP tried to do a few weeks ago. Cummings has to go tomorrow or Boris loses any little credibility he has.

The nationalists tried to hang on to Calderwood, the chief med officer, even to the extent of having her appear alongside Sturgeon at the daily briefing and apologising to all and sundry.  Within a few hours public pressure had her sacked as she was affecting the credibility of Sturgeon and taking attention away from the real issues. Hopefully Cummings goes soon. A strategic resignation but I am sure like a shit behind a radiator his influence will linger on. 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Starmer doesn't have to say anything just yet. Press is destroying Cummings for him

They'll be loving this, he's always treated them with contempt, he wasn't exactly a popular figure before this either, I'll be amazed if he doesn't go in the morning.