When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s understandable to be honest if they both signed a contract, the EU paid for a certain amount of doses and then AZ haven’t fulfilled that order. 

Yeah can understand why they'd be pissed off. Wasn't a dig at the EU by the way, just meant in general it's sad to see if descend predictably into these disputes.

Shysters Part II

British diplomats have been instructed to find at least 50% cuts in UK overseas aid in the next six weeks in advance of the next financial year, the Labour party has said. Sarah Champion, the chair of parliament’s international development select committee, said: “Our ambassadors have today been instructed by the Foreign Office to cut 50-70% from the aid budget.” Describing the speed of the planned cuts as catastrophic, she added: “There is no doubt that lives will be lost as a consequence and our global standing as humanitarians destroyed. Welcome to day 26 of global Britain.”

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

It's shoddy news, not fake news, but yes they should have gone back with a very clear and full correction given potential consequences.

Sorry mate but it’s fake as fuck. You can’t put down a translation of “8% of the population was over 65” to “the vaccine is only 8% effective on over 65’s” as a shoddy honest mistake. It’s dangerous misinformation and should be labelled as such. 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Again, another strange take. The motivation is irrelevant. What they said is totally incorrect and moreover it is a dangerous falsity to spread it.

The motivation is not irrelevant here.

The motivation distinguishes fake news from piss-poor-journalism-standards news. 

Sheesh, I'm not defending it...

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why the need to argue semantics over what is/ isn't fake news then?

I thought you had concluded that the journalists published it maliciously, but I don't see any evidence for that.

It's as big a difference as between manslaughter and murder.

Edited by xxialac

43 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s understandable to be honest if they both signed a contract, the EU paid for a certain amount of doses and then AZ haven’t fulfilled that order. 

Yeah, the EU are right to demand answers, and indeed, to demand their vaccine. What I don't think is on is specifically requesting they divert stocks from the UK. That seems political to me. Especially as that's basically saying "fulfill our order and short the UK instead". 

It's like if I ordered a Playstation 5, and then a week before release day Sony said "sorry, we haven't got enough stock to fulfill your order". It's right for me to be angry and demand better, but it's not right for me to say to them "well this guy Mike I know at work is getting one, can you send me his?"

• Upvote 1

Just now, xxialac said:

I thought you had concluded that the journalists published it maliciously, but I don't see any evidence for that.

I never said that at all... No idea who published it, I don't speak German. I just know it is a disgrace and quite clearly should not still be on their website. It's a disgrace.

Just been thinking and if the EU does restrict exports of the Pfizer vaccine leading to subsequent delays where does that leave those already vaccinated with one dose of the Pfizer vaccine? 

I know we've extended the gap between doses from 3 weeks to 12 weeks to vaccinate as many people as possible but is there an upper limit where the effects of the first dose wear off?

Just now, DeanoL said:

Yeah, the EU are right to demand answers, and indeed, to demand their vaccine. What I don't think is on is specifically requesting they divert stocks from the UK. That seems political to me. Especially as that's basically saying "fulfill our order and short the UK instead". 

It's like if I ordered a Playstation 5, and then a week before release day Sony said "sorry, we haven't got enough stock to fulfill your order". It's right for me to be angry and demand better, but it's not right for me to say to them "well this guy Mike I know at work is getting one, can you send me his?"

They still haven't approved it which is painfully slow. Back last year I thought we were mad to not take part in the EU procurement but I am delighted we haven't in hindsight. They are very slow. Not like there's any urgency or anything...

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

I never said that at all... No idea who published it, I don't speak German. I just know it is a disgrace and quite clearly should not still be on their website. It's a disgrace.

That's true. Was a different poster, I see now. In fact I agree with everything you have written.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

As peston said above, the EU delayed on the contract by 3 months later than the UK. So the EU supply chain and factories arent as far along as the UK's. So the extra 3 months means the UK gets their dosage ok along their supply chain, and the EU's is further along. 

If thats correct, i dont have much sympathy for the EU postion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

It's as big a difference as between manslaughter and murder.

Well when people raised the fact that it was probably wrong, the journalist said:

We have confirmed the story with multiple sources familiar with the German vaccination policy. Our sources, including members of government coalition and experts, spoke on condition of anonymity so we cannot source the story “on the record” nor make public any underlying data.

I am not sure how that can be a legit mistake - it was confirmed by multiple sources including experts. So either multiple sources lied, or he's lying about confirming it with all those people. The first seems unlikely, the second is blatant lying and would constitute fake news to me. 

18 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Just been thinking and if the EU does restrict exports of the Pfizer vaccine leading to subsequent delays where does that leave those already vaccinated with one dose of the Pfizer vaccine? 

I know we've extended the gap between doses from 3 weeks to 12 weeks to vaccinate as many people as possible but is there an upper limit where the effects of the first dose wear off?

I’m sure in emergency circumstances they can be given a dose of AZ instead. This was discussed a few weeks back.