When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The EU isn't saying they want to take vaccinations AZ had earmarked for the UK. That's a facile interpretation. They don't care if the vaccines come from the moon, they just want them.

These are vaccines they say they were legally and contractually obliged to receive and they seem to think there was the production available.

This may be false but if it's true, you can understand their position.

Well they're gonna have to come from somewhere at the expense of others unless they can magic them out of thin air.

Yeah I can understand their position but don't have much sympathy for them.

The EU were between a rock and a hard place from what I can see.

"The following month AZ reached a preliminary agreement with Germany, the Netherlands, France and Italy, a group known as the Inclusive Vaccine Alliance," 

Great for those four wealthy countries but totally excludes the remaining 22 odd countries within the EU. 

Must be a lot more behind that but from the Commissions point of view they have to treat each member as equal and would naturally try to rein in any countries going their own way creating a two speed vaccine programme.

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m inclined to think whether we were in the EU or not, we would’ve gone on our own with the vaccines, a bit like with our currency. That’s not to say it isn’t a good thing we have regardless of whether we would’ve anyway.

I reckon so too...but we'll never know..

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Well they're gonna have to come from somewhere at the expense of others unless they can magic them out of thin air.

Yeah I can understand their position but don't have much sympathy for them.

If Astrazeneca have a contract with the EU and are offering less supply than than they contracted for (and it's a big 'if'!) then 100% of the critiism should be aimed at the company, not anyone else IMO.

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The EU were between a rock and a hard place from what I can see.

"The following month AZ reached a preliminary agreement with Germany, the Netherlands, France and Italy, a group known as the Inclusive Vaccine Alliance," 

Great for those four wealthy countries but totally excludes the remaining 22 odd countries within the EU. 

Must be a lot more behind that but from the Commissions point of view they have to treat each member as equal and would naturally try to rein in any countries going their own way creating a two speed vaccine programme.

But

doesn't seem like it was a particularly productive use of time.

11 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

The argument about EU or not EU re the vaccines is just an extension of the 'can we give praise to the government for anything' argument that was had last week. It is perfectly acceptable to believe that we should not have left the EU whilst recognising the issues they are having with vaccines compared to the UK, just as it is perfectly acceptable to believe that the government have made errors at almost every turn in this pandemic but appear to have done well with the vaccine response. It is indicative of society at the moment - everything is partisan with no nuance.

Spot on 

Just now, xxialac said:

If Astrazeneca have a contract with the EU and are offering less supply than than they contracted for (and it's a big 'if'!) then 100% of the critiism should be aimed at the company, not anyone else IMO.

Depends on the contract. If AZ said it would come from a particular site....

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It was a good question but it just doesn’t matter. Johnson can just do whatever, it seems and get away with it. 

What did he ask?

No accountability from Spaffer and Co. Didn’t he open this briefing by saying ‘We did everything we could to keep the death rate down’.