When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I actually asked in his medical opinion if it was the 6 pints of brothers strawberry & kiwi cider I had before the Hot Chip gig at West holts in 2015 which made me cry or it was in fact just that good a gig it would have happened if I was sober. 

Damn I thought you had asked him to clear up the Foals / 1975 debate .... 

11 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Probably covers it.....

"England’s deputy chief medical officer says he can’t give an answer as to how many people need to have the vaccine for restrictions to be lifted.

Jonathan Van-Tam says: “I don’t tend to fudge things and I’m not going to pretend I know the answer to that.

“What we want the vaccine to do in the first instance is to stop people dying from Covid 19.”

He says the next focus is to stop people being hospitalised.

If the UK can get to the point when the NHS isn’t under “immense pressure” from the virus and is "managing it in a much more normal way than at present", he says that will give politicians the option to think about what comes next.

He adds that it’s “not his job to give a magic calendar date”.

talking more about when restrictions on people's lives could begin to be lifted, Prof Van-Tam says: "If we get to the point where we are confident vaccines take out illness and asymptomatic transmission that becomes a big game-changer and a big win".

"If we can get the science that says this is happening, we've got vaccines that are really punching above their weight, we can bring restrictions down," he adds.

LIke at the press conference last night, he is a little more circumspect than Bojo. Spaffer was very much disagreeing with him on keeping elements of the current restrictions...

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Lab/SNP/LD/PC/GRN would just about cobble together a thin majority. You’d probably need to offer electoral reform and a Scottish referendum (and more powers for Wales) to get everyone on board. 

Might be the best thing in the long term for the country tbh, and I say that as a Labour member. We need to ditch FPTP.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

CMO in Northern Ireland has said we will have to live with restrictions for 'many many months' and he expects the majority of people won't be vaccinated in NI until late summer of 2021.

That sort of negativity can get in the bin.

High Quality Simpson Pitchfork Mob Blank Meme Template

20 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I actually asked in his medical opinion if it was the 6 pints of brothers strawberry & kiwi cider I had before the Hot Chip gig at West holts in 2015 which made me cry or it was in fact just that good a gig it would have happened if I was sober. 

strawberry & kiwi

You have ventured down the Dark Fruits road to self destruction.

Just now, Copperface said:

strawberry & kiwi

You have ventured down the Dark Fruits road to self destruction.

At least I think it was that, it's definitely strawberry and something they serve.

My memory has been jaded by the amount of sugar they put in them!

16 minutes ago, northernringo said:

CMO in Northern Ireland has said we will have to live with restrictions for 'many many months' and he expects the majority of people won't be vaccinated in NI until late summer of 2021.

TBF that is being said in many countries but I don't think the politicians want to acknowledge it in public at the moment as they have to take the populations with them. That is why there is a Behavioural Insights Unit (aka the 'nudge unit') trying to subtly maanage expectations.

Edited by Copperface

17 minutes ago, northernringo said:

That seems the sensible approach, not ruling out keeping restrictions and keeping people in the loop that it might happen. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

That seems the sensible approach, not ruling out keeping restrictions and keeping people in the loop that it might happen. 

The politicians will deviate from the CMO's once the vaccine is out there more. Van Tam has been saying this morning how the decision isn't up to him. Summer ecents and tourism are simply to important for economic renewal 

The WHO said we will need social distancing until XMas next year even with a vaccine in wide distribution. Good luck with enforcing that

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

TBF that is being said in many countries but I don't think the politicians want to acknowledge it in public at the moment as they have to take the populations with them. That is why there is a Behavioural Science Unit (aka the 'nudge unit') trying to subtly maanage expectations.

Scientists want to fully stop all infections, and any risk of illness or death so they have only one thing to worry about. That's impossible in the world we've built.

We should be glad the politicians are looking to remove the restrictions as quickly as possible- it's an open goal for permanently increasing government control so it's good they aren't looking to take the opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The politicians will deviate from the CMO's once the vaccine is out there more. Van Tam has been saying this morning how the decision isn't up to him. Summer ecents and tourism are simply to important for economic renewal 

The WHO said we will need social distancing until XMas next year even with a vaccine in wide distribution. Good luck with enforcing that

Yep totally agree. The public opinion currently is “follow the science”. After a few months of the vaccine that WILL change to “screw the science, they’re being debbie downers”. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I’m well aware of that, it doesn’t change the points in my post. The CMO is making the people in NI aware that restrictions might possibly be in place even though a vaccine is around. 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

problem is, while the public might ignore the guidelines, it still would fuck festivals and gigs because they'd have to work guidelines which would limit audiences.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

problem is, while the public might ignore the guidelines, it still would fuck festivals and gigs because they'd have to work guidelines which would limit audiences.

maybe, but if people are ignoring guidelines then Bojo will probably just say 'fuck it'.

I see festivals and gigs being in the same boat as classical music, sporting events and theatre. Im not expecting the govt to keep social distancing in any form once the vaccien is distribuited

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

To be fair there I don't think the government will be dictated to by WHO and it's them who we have to worry about not the WHO.