When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

it's simply too early for large scale multiday events like Glastonbury to proceed in an unaltered format.

I reckon it depends what date you're thinking is too early - the festival's commit-date where it has to start acting as tho the festival is definitely going ahead (spending money, etc), or the dates of the festival in June.

I'm pretty confident that by the festival's date in June that festivals will be able to happen just about as-normal, as we should have a good measure of the vaccine's effect by then.

Giving the festival concrete advance notice (in, say, January/Feb/March) of that is going to be much harder as it's going to take a while to get enough data to be confident in.

Some festivals will take that leap of faith, I think, because of the noises coming out of govt ('normal from April', etc). Whether Glastonbury will be one of them I've no idea.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont know why Fauci and the EU are doing this tbh. They need as many people as possible everywhere to take the vaccine and arguments like that just reduces trust, especially if they are also going to be approving the same vaccine!

Because otherwise they'll have people from their nations questioning why we're getting the vaccine now but they're having to wait a bit - just saving face imo.

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont know why Fauci and the EU are doing this tbh. They need as many people as possible everywhere to take the vaccine and arguments like that just reduces trust, especially if they are also going to be approving the same vaccine!

They are doing it because our ministers keep making ridiculous political comments that the vaccine was approved first here because we are “better than other countries” and “because of Brexit”.

If it wasn’t for our ministers making it out like this is a competition and they took it down a tone, then the EU, Germany and US wouldn’t be backfiring with comments that we’ve rushed approval.

As far as I see it, Fauci and other health professional (such as Spahn and Merkel from Germany) criticising our haste of regulation, is only going to increase scepticism of the GP over the vaccine. 

As I’ve always said, I hold extreme reservations from our government. They often over-promise and under deliver. I worry that it will be the same for vaccinations. Germany only estimates to have 7 million vaccinated by Easter, whereas we are claiming we will have the whole of the vulnerable population vaccinated. These are two completely different expectations of scale. I worry that the government are doing their usual bigging things up and when it comes down to it things are going to take longer than anticipated.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

They are doing it because our ministers keep making ridiculous political comments that the vaccine was approved first here because we are “better than other countries” and “because of Brexit”.

If it wasn’t for our ministers making it out like this is a competition and they took it down a tone, then the EU, Germany and US wouldn’t be backfiring with comments that we’ve rushed approval.

As far as I see it, Fauci and other health professional (such as Spahn and Merkel from Germany) criticising our haste of regulation, is only going to increase scepticism of the GP over the vaccine. 

As I’ve always said, I hold extreme reservations from our government. They often over-promise and under deliver. I worry that it will be the same for vaccinations. Germany only estimates to have 7 million vaccinated by Easter, whereas we are claiming we will have the whole of the vulnerable population vaccinated. These are two completely different expectations of scale. I worry that the government are doing their usual bigging things up and when it comes down to it things are going to take longer than anticipated.

that only is true if you think that the MHRA was influenced by the politician when they gave their approval. I dont think they did. 

I dont think the EU medical agency and Fauci should be criticsing the MHRA regulatory system if they are annoyed by the politicians 

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

they're not doing it because of the UK's own claims, but for the exact same reason.

They all want to project the idea that their country is ahead of the game.

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’ve not looked at Germany .... but do they have the same numbers of jabs ordered ? And the variety of different ones ? Maybe that’s why we have more confidence on this ? 

Edited by crazyfool1

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

It's a fair concern, but equally I feel like old-fashioned face-to-face logistics are something we're fairly good at? Not to mention the UK is very small geographically and extremely well connected by transport.

I don't think they'll have many issues getting the vaccine out at high volume - the one place they might fall down is in organising who has and hasn't had it - given they'll be going to some sort of digital system and that's not worked well so far...

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

that only is true if you think that the MHRA was influenced by the politician when they gave their approval. I dont think they did. 

I dont think the EU medical agency and Fauci should be criticsing the MHRA regulatory system if they are annoyed by the politicians 

I completely trust the MHRA but I just don’t know why everything is becoming so politicised at this point. 

At the end of the day even if the UK was to get back to some normality faster than other countries, the global pandemic isn’t over. It’s a global effort and until every countries suffering is over, the pandemic is still ongoing. I don’t think it should be a competition between countries, I think it should be a global effort to work together to end this. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve not looked at Germany .... but do they have the same numbers of jabs ordered ? And the variety of different ones ? Maybe that’s why we have more confidence on this ? 

100 million ordered I believe. Mostly Pfizer but a significant proportion of AstraZeneca should it get approved. But Merkel has been in coordination with pfizer and now only expects 7 million doses by end of Q1 2021. So they are now very much dependent on AstraZeneca too. Which worries me a lot as it’s still waiting approval.

I don’t know how we are boasting so many vaccinated in a faster time frame than one of the most efficient countries in the world. Not to mention isn’t Pfizer being manufactured in Germany? So it’s not like it even has to go far to be distributed. 

27 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely checking over data takes as long as the resources you put into it allows? The trials are done and analysis can be rushed through with some all nighters and clearing the calendar for the relevant meetings to happen quickly

Yeah, and after seeing how long it took to count votes in the election, efficiency and speed isn’t exactly their strong suit.

Edited by jparx

50 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Interested to know your reasoning - is it long covid you're worried about or the small number who might remain vulnerable even after vaccine? 

Edit - that small number bit isnt meant to be patronising- they are people too and as a society we're about to fail them.(and I'm cheerleading that I guess) 

Long COVID I was thinking about, lots can still pick up the virus and it might leave them with a horrible illness for a bit. Plus if the government still have those rules in place then I’ll follow them as we have too. 

39 minutes ago, jparx said:

Who honestly cares who is “first”? Let’s all just celebrate yea? Americans and their “we are the best” mentality is tedious AF. 

Who care who approved the vaccine first indeed. The UK government have been going crazy talking about the UK approving it so that works both ways. We should as a human race celebrate the achievement.

@crazyfool1 I have a contract to start working in germany 10th march 2021. I’m now 95% sure it will fall through (again). But their vaccination timeline doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that we will meet ours when theirs is a lot less ambitious than ours. 

Maybe the UK will surprise me, but globally or at least EU wide I guess we will never get out of it until the global effort has been completed.

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

100 million ordered I believe. Mostly Pfizer but a significant proportion of AstraZeneca should it get approved. But Merkel has been in coordination with pfizer and now only expects 7 million doses by end of Q1 2021. So they are now very much dependent on AstraZeneca too. Which worries me a lot as it’s still waiting approval.

I don’t know how we are boasting so many vaccinated in a faster time frame than one of the most efficient countries in the world. Not to mention isn’t Pfizer being manufactured in Germany? So it’s not like it even has to go far to be distributed. 

We have more on order with Pfizer. But i think the UK vaccine rollout is based on Astrazeneca more

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but Fauci isn't a politician....

but he is someone leading an org who he believes are doing best practice.

From that, logically, others who do it differently cannot be doing that best practice and therefore must be inferior.

He's merely saying how it is from his position. Sticking up for himself and the org he leads.

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Which worries me a lot as it’s still waiting approval. 

It was submitted for approval after the Pfizer one (by like a week) and the Pfizer one only got approved yesterday or the day before i can't remember, so don't think it's worth worrying about. The data says it's safe and needs 50% plus efficacy to be approved which it meets. No reason to think it won't be fine.