When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

All Employees and Contractors in England:

We are committed to maintaining a healthy workforce and workplace and we continue to monitor COVID-19 across our global sites and take actions to protect employee health and safety.

The UK parliament has announced an end to the current lockdown. Therefore, the offices in England shall re-open on the 3rd December 2020. We will continue to monitor and closely review the situation during the upcoming weeks.

The office in Scotland remains closed until further notice.

A reminder, employees and contractors will be returning to the office in their designated shifts, which can be found on PEOPLEFINDER

We also want to remind all employees and contractors of the importance of proper hygiene and physical distancing.

etc

Edited by steviewevie

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We are committed to maintaining a healthy workforce and workplace and we continue to monitor COVID-19 across our global sites and take actions to protect employee health and safety.

The UK parliament has announced an end to the current lockdown. Therefore, the offices in England shall re-open on the 3rd December 2020. We will continue to monitor and closely review the situation during the upcoming weeks.

A reminder, employees and contractors will be returning to the office in their designated shifts, which can be found on Peoplefinder

We also want to remind all employees and contractors of the importance of proper hygiene and physical distancing.

etc

They are going against government rules if they are forcing people that can work from home to go back into the office. If you are bothered then I’d appeal it. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

etc

Should name and shame. This is not on.

Edited by xxialac

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

A reminder, employees and contractors will be returning to the office in their designated shifts, which can be found

etc

I'd remove that link to Peoplefinder (edited it out the quote above - others should do the same @xxialac @Ozanne) as I think it gives away where you work

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Might hit rollout times maybe based on the storage ?  

If it's 62% effective you need to vaccinate more people to see the same decrease in cases as with a 90% vaccine. 

E.g. if you vaccinated 30 million you've got 27 million actually protected at 90% but that drops to 18.6 million with a 62% one.

You'd need to vaccinate 42 million (12 million more) to get the same coverage, which will take longer.

I hope I've understood that maths right anyway.

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

If it's 62% effective you need to vaccinate more people to see the same decrease in cases as with a 90% vaccine. 

E.g. if you vaccinated 30 million you've got 27 million actually protected at 90% but that drops to 18.6 million with a 62% one.

You'd need to vaccinate 42 million (12 million more) to get the same coverage, which will take longer.

I hope I've understood that maths right anyway.

I dont think its quite how it would work. Some people are superspreaders and getting them would spread it less. Some could be asymptomatic and the vaccine may not stop you spreading it but would lessen the severity of it.

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Key workers in the public sector bar NHS staff are seeing a pay freeze next year. That’s some thanks to some of the people that have kept key parts of our country running through this pandemic. Meanwhile they throw money to their friends through these dodgy contract deals. What a despicable bunch we have in our government running the country right now.

History will not remember them fondly. 

I am speechless today but not surprised what they have done to us on the frontline!!! 
The government absolutely have  no idea what we deal with on a day to day basis!! 
They need to remember Covid has not stopped abuse and crime! 🤬

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Is it normal to combine tests from separate trials like they've done?

I'm sure when more info comes out it will be fine. I suspect 95% is a bit high for the other ones as well, but as its emergency use, and there aren't any safety issues and its almost definitely 50%, it will be approved in the UK ( US is potentially a different issue at the moment)

It’s entirely normal to run a trial in different locations, but more usual to enrol everyone on the same trial in different places. But, for whatever reason, Oxford chose to run these as self-contained trials (if one of the crossed the line first, then the data could be presented to the regulators...and when you don’t know where the most cases will be, I guess you hedge your bets). The FDA won’t insist on American participants in order to authorise it though, the data is the same irrespective of where the trial was run. Loads of drugs approved in the US had their trials run elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s entirely normal to run a trial in different locations, but more usual to enrol everyone on the same trial in different places. But, for whatever reason, Oxford chose to run these as self-contained trials (if one of the crossed the line first, then the data could be presented to the regulators...and when you don’t know where the most cases will be, I guess you hedge your bets). The FDA won’t insist on American participants in order to authorise it though, the data is the same irrespective of where the trial was run. Loads of drugs approved in the US had their trials run elsewhere. 

Ok so.....if you were simultaneously offered a Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford vaccine, but you didn't know which one you got, would you go away hoping your jab was one in particular, and why?

A sample of 1 isn't exactly a thorough test of opinion, but I'm nevertheless interested to hear an expert's POV.

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so.....if you were simultaneously offered a Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford vaccine, but you didn't know which one you got, would you go away hoping your jab was one in particular, and why?

A sample of 1 isn't exactly a thorough test of opinion, but I'm nevertheless interested to hear an expert's POV.

Moderna, definitely. Top vaccine that.

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Christ. I didn't realise Exeter was that bad still. Are numbers getting worse? I went to art college in Exeter so have a soft spot for the city.

Bristol 2 main hospitals seem like they have very high numbers ... dont know if its overflow from that ? I thought they had a nightingale in Bristol .... was on the phone so didnt quite catch it 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Local news reports that our nightingale hospital is to reopen and admit patients :( in exeter 

Heard this earlier today. Given there's 120 covid cases in the RD & E it's needed. A friend works on a ward there which has been given over to Covid - the staffing is to be somehow found from Wonford, Torbay and Plymouth. Good luck to them with that given the shortages :(

24 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Well, the Oxford one is based on technology that has been used for vaccines in humans before, so there’s longer safety data for that type of vaccine. The other two are brand new approaches. So it’s a tough call. I’m not in a high risk group and under normal circumstances, by the time I’m offered one, others will be available! (I’ll probably get it in work though before most people my age will).  I had previously said I’d hope it was the Oxford one, but actually, deep down I’d be hoping it was from Pfizer.

Edit: just to add to that, there’s very little difference between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but, I’ve been on Ad boards for Pfizer biotherapeutics and have seen their manufacturing and QC from the inside. Moderna have never made anything before, so they’ll need to get up to that standard quickly. For that reason, I’d take the Oxford one second. 

Edited by Toilet Duck

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Well, the Oxford one is based on technology that has been used for vaccines in humans before, so there’s longer safety data for that type of vaccine. The other two are brand new approaches. So it’s a tough call. I’m not in a high risk group and under normal circumstances, by the time I’m offered one, others will be available! (I’ll probably get it in work though before most people my age will).  I had previously said I’d hope it was the Oxford one, but actually, deep down I’d be hoping it was from Pfizer.

Thankyou.  Do you think take-up for an Oxford rollout could be impacted by the perceived inferiority to the others, and if so how could confidence be bolstered?  I'm guessing that such perceptions could be managed by focusing the 'better' vaccines on higher risk groups, and reminding Oxford recipients that constant re-engineering will refine the efficacy further for future inoculations, if that's how these things work.