When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Jeremy Farrar, head of Wellcome and a key member of the Sage group of government scientific advisers....

"What’s important at the moment is that countries don’t get fixed on only going to be delivering this one vaccine, because because they are all still in developments. We will learn other things, I believe in the next month of the AstraZeneca Oxford vaccine, probably the Moderna vaccine, maybe other vaccines that we’ll learn the results of including from China, between now and the end of the year."

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Joe Anderson, the mayor of Liverpool, told BBC Breakfast this morning that around 90,000 people have been tested for coronavirus in the city’s mass testing regime introduced last Friday - with 430 testing positive and going into isolation. He said:

Four hundred and thirty people are not spreading the virus, it means that we can break the chain of infection.

Since we’ve been into tier 3 we had 680 people per 100,000 that were positive in the city, we’ve now got that down ... to around 300 per 100,000, so that’s a positive move and a positive step for us.

Anderson also said of the 430 who tested positive, only around 200 showed any symptoms.

Liverpool, which has has a population of around half a million, currently has 38 test centres, but Anderson said he hoped that would increase to around 45 from Monday.

He also said he asks people to get tested twice during the next month.

For me this just highlights how the PCR test is not the right test for the current situation... This new one tests for active virus and not test positive if you had it months ago. 

4 hours ago, Copperface said:

Happily, being a twat is not a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.

I'm not just talking about anti-vaxxer though, there are plenty of people who are naturally worried about this vaccine due to short timeframe it's been done in - they need reassurance not force

There are religions (I forget which ones they are) that don't believe in vaccines, so I think there defo is tricky legal ground here for discrimination 

As I say I'll all for vaccines but simply don't think making it compulsory is the right approach

7 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I'm not just talking about anti-vaxxer though, there are plenty of people who are naturally worried about this vaccine due to short timeframe it's been done in - they need reassurance not force

There are religions (I forget which ones they are) that don't believe in vaccines, so I think there defo is tricky legal ground here for discrimination 

As I say I'll all for vaccines but simply don't think making it compulsory is the right approach

I think they have started an eduction campaign now ... this is another of those sheep things ... once a few have had with no obvious problems I think others will start having it ... its that nobody wants to be first to take it ... when actually in reality the elderly and the vulnerable will be the ones that are most desperate for it .... once my folks have had  it ... ill be so much happier :) 

34 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Nah there's not. At least no major religions. I guess fundamentalists are more likely to refuse a vaccine than a casual religious person though. 

51 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Nobody is suggesting compulsory vaccination at the moment though, just making vaccination a condition of entry to certain things.

2 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Admissions is promising on that- assuming numbers don’t filter through later?

levelling off from Tier 3 up north would be my  take .... no restrictions or minimal in the south will make these numbers start to filter through in the south so that will climb  ... but with currently  lower numbers of infections so probably an overall drop 

In Wales the rate of cases is dropping quite nicely.  Obviously the new cases take a while to tally up but still Cardiff's cases has more than halved in the last week or so (currently 153.7).  Went to the pub today with three others which was amazing.  Praying the fire-break has worked!

image.thumb.png.7903d95a9c779a71f6d76b6160c80418.png