When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This seems like a good article on reinfection to me. Does @Toilet Duckconcurr?

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/10/14/immunity-and-re-infection

Feels unlikely to me that reinfection is going to be a huge player in this when 10% of the world’s population are believed to have had covid now and only a handful have had it twice. It’s definitely possible, and is why herd immunity probably won’t work in the way it does for measles, but at the same time I don’t think we’re going to see many people catching this virus twice in quick succession. Interested to hear TD’s view 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Feels unlikely to me that reinfection is going to be a huge player in this when 10% of the world’s population are believed to have had covid now and only a handful have had it twice. It’s definitely possible, and is why herd immunity probably won’t work in the way it does for measles, but at the same time I don’t think we’re going to see many people catching this virus twice in quick succession. Interested to hear TD’s view 

The comments under the article are quite interesting. A bit like here, but higher quality 😆

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

30000 cases in France, an all time record for any European country. Italy and Germany also showing their highest daily cases and the UK would have shown their 2 highest today and yesterday if not for the excel fuck in. Europe is the epicentre again. 

have we got another fuck up ? 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m really having a “life is never going back to normal” day today :( 

I know what u mean, seeing those case numbers from France today is scary. This whole second wave is only really just starting here, I'm dreading what the winter is gonna bring. When are we gonna get this national lockdown?! Every day waiting is more lives lost.

7 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I know what u mean, seeing those case numbers from France today is scary. This whole second wave is only really just starting here, I'm dreading what the winter is gonna bring. When are we gonna get this national lockdown?! Every day waiting is more lives lost.

Problem is there will be no compliance without incentive and our country is the type that will only comply if they have immediate danger to themselves. At the moment no hospitals are overwhelmed and to most the threat isn't anywhere near themselves.

Unfortunately for any lockdown to have a chance of working there needs to be evidence, so big death numbers.

The problem is, I still don't think the people who aren't following rules now could be convinced to do so whatever happens

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

It’s awful, all any of us ever want is our loved ones to be safe and to get our old lives back. I can’t wait for the celebratory scenes when we finally beat this dreadful virus. 

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s awful, all any of us ever want is our loved ones to be safe and to get our old lives back. I can’t wait for the celebratory scenes when we finally beat this dreadful virus. 

I think we can all agree to that. I keep daydreaming about some of the emotional speeches that will be made from the main stages at Glast when we finally get back on the farm without any masks or any other virus bullshit. Whenever that will be.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think we can all agree to that. I keep daydreaming about some of the emotional speeches that will be made from the main stages at Glast when we finally get back on the farm without any masks or any other virus bullshit. Whenever that will be.

those free hugs people are going to be busy :)  ..... we must have some good speakers on here for the efest meet ...

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This seems like a good article on reinfection to me. Does @Toilet Duckconcurr?

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/10/14/immunity-and-re-infection

Howdy, I think as far as long term immunity goes, it’s really too early to tell, nobody has been re-exposed following anything longer than a few months at this stage, so we can only guess. My guess is like many on the discussion below the article, that immunity will wane and we’ll be able to catch it again but have the immunological memory to clear it before it does much damage (but that’s just a hunch based on the other endemic CoVs...more and more evidence of t-cell immunity/cross immunity and recent exposure to other CoVs correlating with mild infection starting to emerge though...I’d really love to see a prospective study on this!). It could take a year or two for neutralising antibodies to sufficiently wane though, at this stage we really don’t know (and drawing conclusions from SARS and MERS is difficult since nowhere near as many people were infected, so the diversity of immune responses isn’t really captured accurately). The article is correct in that reinfection shortly after first exposure is rare though, it doesn’t seem to be widespread (though clearly not impossible, and we do learn a lot from exceptional responses). There’s nice info in there as well on the degree of genetic drift that seems to be happening and it’s pretty reassuring to see the virus behave as expected. Of course, we haven’t put a major selective pressure on it yet!

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I’ve said before but I still believe we’ll be there in 2021, keep the faith!

• Upvote 1