When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They talk about lockdowns not working, but in Manchester it was hardly a lock down...the only difference being wasn't allowed round someone elses house...and with that not sure many are following it. The local lockdown in Leicester was more of a proper lockdown, and that did work. The one in Bolton was stricter than Manchester, and that seems to have worked too.

That's what I've been saying to my family when they ask "ohhh, how is it in lockdown up there?" It's not a 'lockdown'. it's barely a lock! I can still go to the pub with my boyfriend. I can still go for a walk in the park with five friends. All non-essential shops and services are obviously open.

I fail to see where this 'lockdown' actually is. 

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They talk about lockdowns not working, but in Manchester it was hardly a lock down...the only difference being wasn't allowed round someone elses house...and with that not sure many are following it. The local lockdown in Leicester was more of a proper lockdown, and that did work. The one in Bolton was stricter than Manchester, and that seems to have worked too.

Yep, hardly anyone was following what few measures they did bring it - The Mail is trying to spin it as proof that lockdowns don't work because they want them binned all together

• Like 1

8 hours ago, priest17 said:

Bizarre. I love how even with all the ramblings there's still an obvious cut in there, give us the full clip!

what's wrong with the right side of his face, it looks all swollen, especially his cheek. Not sure a fake-tanned elephant man who sounds increasingly unhinged is the advocate you want for your new miracle drug

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

This is the beginning of a big push back on restrictions.

Whether you agree with it or not many members of the public will be influenced by what they read either in the paper or online. With a large national newspaper running with stories like this it'll give those who are against further restrictions more belief that what they believe is right.

I genuinely believe we will see an increase in violent protests against any sort of lockdown in the not so distant future. 

Everyone who pushes back is a d*** at this point, because they can't even be arsed to wait a few weeks for the vaccine results, because they don't think they or anyone they care about will die. Will they be working frontline on the NHS to deal with the consequences of not having any lockdown measures? Nope!

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I wonder if compliance will always be lower for local lockdowns because people get jealous of the other areas that aren’t in lockdown. Whereas with the national lockdowns there’s a palpable sense that we’re in it together. 

If the government extended furlough at the same rate as it was in the beginning and cut rates for businesses there would be less backlash as opposed to these 'local lockdowns'. At this point though they're just taking the piss and seeing how far they can push buttons. I'm in an area with the tightest restrictions and it's like a ghost town already, a full shutdown with no extra support will be the tipping point

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I wonder if compliance will always be lower for local lockdowns because people get jealous of the other areas that aren’t in lockdown. Whereas with the national lockdowns there’s a palpable sense that we’re in it together. 

The government's done everything you can do to undermine lockdown compliance- from Cummings, to unclear messages, complete inconsistency

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Everyone who pushes back is a d*** at this point, because they can't even be arsed to wait a few weeks for the vaccine results, because they don't think they or anyone they care about will die. Will they be working frontline on the NHS to deal with the consequences of not having any lockdown measures? Nope!

I think it's wrong to say that.

There will be many people who are directly affected in a variety of different ways as the result of any kind of restrictions / lockdown.

I don't think it's fair to cast a net over everyone without knowing an individual's personal circumstances. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

You realise that vaccine approval in a few weeks (assuming it happens, which I think it will) doesn’t mean that it’s game over? Scotland’s equivalent to Patrick Vallance said on the radio yesterday that the vaccine is unlikely to give immunity for more than a year, meaning that like the flu vaccine, we’d need to be jabbing people annually. And social distancing draconian measures are likely to remain permanently unless a vaccine that gives lifelong immunity is found. 

18 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

That's what I've been saying to my family when they ask "ohhh, how is it in lockdown up there?" It's not a 'lockdown'. it's barely a lock! I can still go to the pub with my boyfriend. I can still go for a walk in the park with five friends. All non-essential shops and services are obviously open.

I fail to see where this 'lockdown' actually is. 

Yeah I think lockdown is a weird word for it. I imagine my life is still more locked down that most in that area, appreciate through my own choice.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I think lockdown is a weird word for it. I imagine my life is still more locked down that most in that area, appreciate through my own choice.

Out of interest, what rules are you living your life by atm that go above and beyond the actual government rules and guidance?

It occurred to me the other day that for as much as I’ve complained about the rules on here, I haven’t actually broken one in a really long time. I guess I hugged a couple of my friends when we were leaving the pub like a month ago. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The majority were on board in the Spring and followed things very strictly for the best part of 3 months, and that was huge sacrifice for people. And they complied on the basis that we would get the virus under control by doing so. 
However it has now become apparent that these lockdowns are only temporary measures, so people lockdown again and they think ‘What for? Why am I going to sacrifice my livelihood again for something that is only a short terms measure, that will completely unravel the second the restrictions are lifted again?’. Throw into the mix peoples jobs being affected again and uncertainty around their future.  And whilst a vaccine appears to be relatively close, there is no still no end date in sight for this.  

Not saying these are my views at all, and I will comply with any restrictions imposed as always, but I can see the reasons for the discontent and why people won’t be as on board this time around. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Out of interest, what rules are you living your life by atm that go above and beyond the actual government rules and guidance?

It occurred to me the other day that for as much as I’ve complained about the rules on here, I haven’t actually broken one in a really long time. I guess I hugged a couple of my friends when we were leaving the pub like a month ago. 

Not sure what you mean by above and beyond? We just don't really go anywhere most of the time as we have people in our lives that are vulnerable that we want to be able to see still, as I've mentioned. I go to the gym, the shop and for walks. We've met up with a few people, mainly outside, and stayed overnight with family twice. Most weeks we don't. Have stayed in one Travelodge. Eaten out once and went to one pub beer garden. Am working from home. I could do a lot more if I wanted to but I have my own reasons for not doing so. 

We are going away for a week to Dorset on Saturday, which is the biggest thing we've done. Doubt we'll be going crazy though while  there, it was more for the change of scenery.

No judgement on anyone in the local lockdown areas at all, just think it's not a massive difference to my life currently.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You realise that vaccine approval in a few weeks (assuming it happens, which I think it will) doesn’t mean that it’s game over? Scotland’s equivalent to Patrick Vallance said on the radio yesterday that the vaccine is unlikely to give immunity for more than a year, meaning that like the flu vaccine, we’d need to be jabbing people annually. And social distancing draconian measures are likely to remain permanently unless a vaccine that gives lifelong immunity is found. 

Lifelong immunity is unlikely. It’s a constantly evolving organism like the flu. A new vaccine will be needed for every strain. 

I’m heading more into the camp of that life has to carry on as normal as possible. The virus will probably get less deadly over time and it’s just going to be something that we have to live with and will be another hazard for the vulnerable. 

It isn’t just going to vanish. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not sure what you mean by above and beyond? We just don't really go anywhere most of the time as we have people in our lives that are vulnerable that we want to be able to see still, as I've mentioned. I go to the gym, the shop and for walks. We've met up with a few people, mainly outside, and stayed overnight with family twice. Most weeks we don't. Have stayed in one Travelodge. Eaten out once and went to one pub beer garden. Am working from home. I could do a lot more if I wanted to but I have my own reasons for not doing so. 

We are going away for a week to Dorset on Saturday, which is the biggest thing we've done. Doubt we'll be going crazy though while  there, it was more for the change of scenery.

No judgement on anyone in the local lockdown areas at all, just think it's not a massive difference to my life currently.

Yeah, that’s fair. I’ve stopped going to pubs and restaurants again now, although I still go to the gym. I’ll defend the gym being opened at all times. Health risks of obesity are far worse than the health risks of covid for most of us, so got to be in there burning those calories off 3-5 times a week. I’m a

massive fatty so that applies more to me than anyone. The gym is really important. I love the gym. I’m catching up with an old friend next week, think I’ll suggest we grab a crate of beers and meet in Hyde Park at a 2m distance. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Lifelong immunity is unlikely. It’s a constantly evolving organism like the flu. A new vaccine will be needed for every strain. 

I’m heading more into the camp of that life has to carry on as normal as possible. The virus will probably get less deadly over time and it’s just going to be something that we have to live with and will be another hazard for the vulnerable. 

I’m wondering where this vaccine approval ‘in a few weeks’ is coming from?

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t think there’s evidence that coronaviruses mutate in the same way that the flu does but happy to be proved wrong if that’s not the case?

By far the most likely scenario is that we get an annual vaccine for the vulnerable like the flu and then we just live with covid outside of that. I would define living with it as “taking a few extra precautions that we wouldn’t in the past, but largely returning to life as normal”. Stuff that could become a permanent feature of society would be staying at home if you’re sick, washing your hands, maybe mask wearing but I still think masks should be optional once we have a vaccine. But social distancing needs to get in the fucking sea as soon as it’s feasibly possible. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah, that’s fair. I’ve stopped going to pubs and restaurants again now, although I still go to the gym. I’ll defend the gym being opened at all times. Health risks of obesity are far worse than the health risks of covid for most of us, so got to be in there burning those calories off 3-5 times a week. I’m a

massive fatty so that applies more to me than anyone. The gym is really important. I love the gym. I’m catching up with an old friend next week, think I’ll suggest we grab a crate of beers and meet in Hyde Park at a 2m distance. 

I go mainly for the mental health reasons, although getting exercise is important too. I don't do it without worrying a bit about the risks though, particularly as people are getting really lax there. I mainly do classes so don't use equipment and shower at home.

Just now, Ozanne said:

I’m wondering where this vaccine approval ‘in a few weeks’ is coming from?

Talk of vaccines being rolled out from early next year would mean approval before that 11 weeks untill the new year ... so maybe a few being 1 or 2 is pushing it slightly but not by a lot