When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

23 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Only in the US from what I've seen. There are plenty of other trials ongoing around the world. And there's still useful data to be gained even if the booster isn't administered.

Unless you have a link that says otherwise?

Yeah, they shouldn’t have to start over (based on the protocol I read). In their phase1/2 trial, booster spacing was between 4 and 8 weeks and generally, longer gaps between the initial shot and the booster doesn’t make much difference to the immune response on 2nd exposure. The way they have the trial designed plans for some participants not to get the 2nd shot on time (or even at all) and they have two different analyses built in, a “per protocol” one where they assess everyone that got the exact regimen as planned, and an “intent to treat” analysis where deviation from the protocol is allowed. So, they can evaluate the trial participants that miss their scheduled booster in this analysis. They may have to ramp up recruitment in sites other than the US to make up for slower accrual there due to the extended pause, but I don’t see anything that suggests they have to start the whole thing from scratch. It’s obviously something they could do without, but not the end of the road (don’t have a Times subscription so I’m not sure what was in the article mind you!)...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Bizarre. I love how even with all the ramblings there's still an obvious cut in there, give us the full clip!

I’m so distracted by his invisible banjo every time I watch him now. 

Kier does need to be careful as the media is really representing him as an anti-lockdowner. I think it's a risky strategy as it could lead to him losing or gaining a lot of support.

I agree him challenging the 10pm curfew as it makes little scientific evidence but shutting hospitality will reduce the drive in cases, there's no questions asked about it. Perhaps not as much as closing universities but any difference is beneficial at this point. We just need to make sure businesses get adequate financial support for the closure periods.

6 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah, there’s a selection of recombinant antibody therapies coming out now that all look pretty good. Bloody expensive though to use as first line treatment (the way it was used for Trump). But, I guess the entire thing is expensive one way or another! 

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Me too, never heard the expression, suspect it's a relatively recent reference.

This is worse than your conspiracy stuff, it has certainly been in common use since the 80s. I suspect much earlier still but I'm too young to verify.

39 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

This blanket use of 'the north' is just so fucking patronising now. It's a fucking massive place. That's the hospitality industry ruined here then 

I'm already predicting chaos in how it's implemented. I bet Manchester and Salford will have different restrictions despite them being essentially the same city centre. 

56 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Bizarre. I love how even with all the ramblings there's still an obvious cut in there, give us the full clip!

I'm absolutely loving watching this car-crash slowly unfolding.  The man looks like a freshly made-up corpse who's been turned into a macabre puppet by a class of sick medical students.  Hearing him trying to enthuse about how well he feels, whilst his voice cracks at the end of every sentence is like some performance art piece on the theme of desperation.  He knows if he loses this election, he goes to jail so he's got to perform for his in-bred fan-base, regardless of how horrifically ill he feels.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm hoping he completely degenerates over the next few weeks.  Desperate Don might say something that even his base can't forgive if he's on the ropes.  Looking forward to seeing how Kamala Harris performs tonight, she seems like the sharpest mind in this race.

The descent into the crazy is only going to energise the people who will vote for Biden whilst holding their nose who otherwise may have just skipped election day. It’s not going to flip any Biden voters or  gain him any new supporters and  fire up his base any more than they already were.

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

This is the beginning of a big push back on restrictions.

Whether you agree with it or not many members of the public will be influenced by what they read either in the paper or online. With a large national newspaper running with stories like this it'll give those who are against further restrictions more belief that what they believe is right.

I genuinely believe we will see an increase in violent protests against any sort of lockdown in the not so distant future. 

7 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Kier does need to be careful as the media is really representing him as an anti-lockdowner. I think it's a risky strategy as it could lead to him losing or gaining a lot of support.

I agree him challenging the 10pm curfew as it makes little scientific evidence but shutting hospitality will reduce the drive in cases, there's no questions asked about it. Perhaps not as much as closing universities but any difference is beneficial at this point. We just need to make sure businesses get adequate financial support for the closure periods.

I think there are questions to be asked about it - what if it doesn't drive down cases? Will there be support for these businesses your about to ruin, forever? What if the influx in cases is caused by something else, e.g. universities what if the virus is just running wild in society?

First schools were blamed, then universities, then pubs and hospitality? What if there is just no one thing that is causing these spikes what if it's just really prevalent in society? 

44 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Whether you agree with it or not many members of the public will be influenced by what they read either in the paper or online. With a large national newspaper running with stories like this it'll give those who are against further restrictions more belief that what they believe is right.

I genuinely believe we will see an increase in violent protests against any sort of lockdown in the not so distant future. 

Especially when it's a being billed as The North, and The South. There are vast swathes of 'The North' that have tiny numbers of cases because they are small rural local authorities that are being tarred with the same brush and the same rules if they aren't careful - the saving grace is some of these smaller rural areas quite possibly have long standing Tory MPs that might up kick up a fuss.

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm already predicting chaos in how it's implemented. I bet Manchester and Salford will have different restrictions despite them being essentially the same city centre. 

I have a concern they are going to flip things on its head and lock down a massive area under the same rules and use the excuse - you said it was too confusing when we went with local rules so we're doing regional.... 

7 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I think there are questions to be asked about it - what if it doesn't drive down cases? Will there be support for these businesses your about to ruin, forever? What if the influx in cases is caused by something else, e.g. universities what if the virus is just running wild in society?

First schools were blamed, then universities, then pubs and hospitality? What if there is just no one thing that is causing these spikes what if it's just really prevalent in society? 

I predicted the university outbreak in August way back on page 750. 

It was always going to spike around this time. 

The question now is will it just be a university spike and a relatively quick drop off or is it an actual wave. 

A temporary lockdown for halfterm might be enough to reset things and settle stuff down in time for another peak at the end of the year. 

They talk about lockdowns not working, but in Manchester it was hardly a lock down...the only difference being wasn't allowed round someone elses house...and with that not sure many are following it. The local lockdown in Leicester was more of a proper lockdown, and that did work. The one in Bolton was stricter than Manchester, and that seems to have worked too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Yeah, think you may be right. But, an increases in hospitalisations and deaths may quell that a bit...

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fucking hell, he's completely off his rocker now

He’s feeling good because he’s on steroids up to his eyeballs. I had to make sure I took those pills very early in the morning otherwise I wouldn’t sleep that night.