When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Never mind covid, our house has had a sickness and diarrhoea bug over the last few days.

Unfortunately it’s been my turn to have it since yesterday evening.

Proper 💩 & 🤮

Seems like it the relaxing of covid restrictions is allowing the other bugs to get going again, we haven’t had a vomiting bug since the start of covid and now it’s doing the rounds.  Had to cancel plans this weekend because the family we were visiting had the vomiting bug.. then we got a email from school to say our 4 yo has to isolate because of a positive case in his class.. I knew we wouldn’t make it to the end of term without someone isolating.. it’s ripping through the schools here.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Yes, absolutely. That's a particularly toxic way of framing a personal choice.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

She could at least get the date right.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

People with her attitude will be vastly out numbered by normal people who just get on with their lives.  Just look at the USA.

Always have to be the most morally virtuous on everything don’t they? An evolved form of classism. Middle class woman making sweeping statements about who is pure and who isn’t. 

20 minutes ago, Pipine said:

Seems like it the relaxing of covid restrictions is allowing the other bugs to get going again, we haven’t had a vomiting bug since the start of covid and now it’s doing the rounds.  Had to cancel plans this weekend because the family we were visiting had the vomiting bug.. then we got a email from school to say our 4 yo has to isolate because of a positive case in his class.. I knew we wouldn’t make it to the end of term without someone isolating.. it’s ripping through the schools here.

I think that’s why hay fever has been so bad for some this year, as we’ve been inside more our resilience to pollen has dropped. 

It will be interesting to see what the vaccination centres are like post July 19. I've not volunteered for a bit due to work but I've got shifts booked for the end of July. Will they ditch the requirement for people to wear masks and remove all the distancing? I wonder if it will just be advised to wear one. I'd imagine staff and volunteers still will.

I'll be playing the mask thing by ear I think. Might still do it on tube/train and in Tesco for now. I don't find it a huge imposition though really personally. Can definitely already see this being an issue as some people do and some people don't when really it's no one else's bloody business.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

horrendous. The mask now becomes a symbol of virtue signalling. 

This is absolutely going to be one of the key post-restrictions issues and I fully expect it to be exploited by the media. Just wait until the first person has been beaten up or worse over an argument about mask wearing. It's coming...

It's the scourge of modern society that every subject has to be polarised and you're either in one camp or the other. There is no middle ground.

Posts like the one above just fan the flames. 

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This is absolutely going to be one of the key post-restrictions issues and I fully expect it to be exploited by the media. Just wait until the first person has been beaten up or worse over an argument about mask wearing. It's coming...

It's the scourge of modern society that every subject has to be polarised and you're either in one camp or the other. There is no middle ground.

Posts like the one above just fan the flames. 

Agreed. I think this kind of started with Brexit didn't it? Or at least that's when the polarisig thing became really noticeable for me. The Trump influence didn't help.

Unrelated and maybe one for @Toilet Duck: I'm kind of surprised by the amount of people I've seen both on here and Twitter etc who are still having symptomatic Covid despite being double jabbed. I know the vaccines don't stop you getting it or passing it on but I thought they were found to reduce symptoms too? Or did I get that wrong? Was it just hospitalisation and death really that it prevented in the trials? 

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Always have to be the most morally virtuous on everything don’t they?

It’s a common criticism of the left, as well. The assumption of moral superiority. I happen to think the left is generally better positioned on most things, but I do cringe at the way there’s an immediate sense of ownership of the moral space sometimes in the way people talk and regard themselves. 

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1

My view is this - after July 19 I am going to start trialling wearing one less. I have got very used to wearing one and it’s going to feel a bit weird not having one on. 

Anecdotally I had a situation a few weeks ago where I had an accident while cooking (slightly cut thumb) and had to dash into a corner shop to buy a plaster. I didn’t realise until I walked out the shop that I had gone in and purchased without wearing a mask. I guess when you are in a rush you don’t think of these things, but it did put a bit of fear into me.

I definitely want to go into a period where I’m weaning myself off one. I can imagine it’s going to feel a bit difficult being in my first crowd without one, but I need to get there eventually.  

Maybe il stop bringing them with me to shops and just have one in my pocket for the morning commute if I feel it needs one?

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s a common criticism of the left, as well. The assumption of moral superiority. I happen to think the left is generally better positioned on most things, but I do cringe at the way there’s an immediate sense of ownership of the moral space sometimes in the way people talk and regard themselves. 

the left is definitely morally superior...especially the wooly bleeding heart liberal left that I live in.

For masks I will probably wear one if in an inside busy place like a packed train or shop or whatever, and/or somewhere that everyone else is wearing one. Especially when we have a wave of cases like this summer. Not a fan of masks at all though, so won't be wearing everywhere I go if I feel unnecessary.

I will wear it less but not totally stop I think. If I go into Supermarkets which is rare, general get delivery or click and collect will wear a mask then. If a shop or pub is quite quiet I won’t bother though. Will keep up the hand sanitizers which is easy to do, just like being at Glastonbury all the time. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

For masks I will probably wear one if in an inside busy place like a packed train or shop or whatever, and/or somewhere that everyone else is wearing one. Especially when we have a wave of cases like this summer. Not a fan of masks at all though, so won't be wearing everywhere I go if I feel unnecessary.

Not debating just out of interest - do you not feel though there may be a benefit in weening yourself off one? I think a big part of this is about comfort and most of us have found them as a comfort blanket.

I don’t want to wear one forever so at some point I need to start getting used to not having one around.

Weirdly though I can’t see myself taking a flight without one?

I’m also not sure what I will have to do for work. I work in a family run furniture shop which is a big place so social distancing has been easy to do but we have a lot of elderly people. The manager has been very wary of COVID since it was first mentioned on the news. He was scanning our temperature before it was even mentioned to do so. Everyone was laughing at him especially when I gave a bit higher than normal temperature so had to go and sit at the back of the shop by myself, my temperature was normal half an hour later.

I think they will ask us to wear the masks at work which is annoying as the flattened my beard 

7 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I will wear it less but not totally stop I think. If I go into Supermarkets which is rare, general get delivery or click and collect will wear a mask then. If a shop or pub is quite quiet I won’t bother though. Will keep up the hand sanitizers which is easy to do, just like being at Glastonbury all the time. 

defintely going to stop the hand sanitiser thing. Always arguing with the missus about them..saying that masks/distancing much more important with this virus.

The thing about masks though is they're to protect other people, not you. So if you see it as a comfort blanket that's just psychological really. The reason I will probably wear one in shops or trains isn't to protect me, just to help reduce the spread to others.

Not saying this to be morally superior before I get jumped on. Just saying that the idea of weaning off suggests you are doing it to protect yourself but if you are that's kind of pointless anyway.

I forgot to put one on when going into a shop the other day and immediately felt like a dick but I didn't feel particularly worried for me as pretty much everyone else had one.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not debating just out of interest - do you not feel though there may be a benefit in weening yourself off one? I think a big part of this is about comfort and most of us have found them as a comfort blanket.

I don’t want to wear one forever so at some point I need to start getting used to not having one around.

Weirdly though I can’t see myself taking a flight without one?

I don't need weening, I'm not doing it to feel safe myself, I'm doing it to help prevent spread to others. I fuckin hate wearing them.

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The thing about masks though is they're to protect other people, not you. So if you see it as a comfort blanket that's just psychological really. The reason I will probably wear one in shops or trains isn't to protect me, just to help reduce the spread to others.

Not saying this to be morally superior before I get jumped on. Just saying that the idea of weaning off suggests you are doing it to protect yourself but if you are that's kind of pointless anyway.

I forgot to put one on when going into a shop the other day and immediately felt like a dick but I didn't feel particularly worried for me as pretty much everyone else had one.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I don't need weening, I'm not going it to feel safe myself, I'm doing it to help prevent spread to others. I fuckin hate wearing them.

Hmm, but is there no basis to argument that double vaccinated people have less chance of carrying it and spreading it?

Also - at what point does it become a case of wearing a mask for the anti-vaxxers? As by at large they will be the only people at risk of getting a very bad case of it.

Yes there are cases of double jabbed people getting ill, but it’s a sad fact of reality that there are some people in society that are extremely vulnerable and would fall ill even under the highest protection. 

I’ll wear one if I feel ill going forward I think and possibly when in situations which there’s little ventilation etc.

I look forward to not having to remember to pick one up alongside phone, wallet etc. When leaving the house though.

• Upvote 1

I really do think they would prefer it if masks remained mandatory until the end of the year, but I guess it’s hard to return ‘back to normal’ whilst having them visible, and the norm in day to day life as they are a constant reminder of the past 18 months of misery.  
So they kind of have to go to signal the beginning of the road to recovery. 

It'll be interesting to see if shops and supermarkets retain their screens? I'd imagine that they'd provide some kind of protection to staff from more common transmissible diseases, which is bound to reduce the number of sick days. If there's a financial benefit to these organisations, I'm sure they'll remain in place (but of course they'll frame it as if staff health and well-being is their primary concern)