When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

42 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Do they have to be? Genuine question because I don't know. Does anyone know the answer? Actually, aren't members of the Lords sometimes given cabinet positions? OK, so it would be very strange to bring in someone from outside to be, say Health Minister, but could it be done I wonder?

Not quite the same thing but Jacinda Ardern won a majority last election around in NZ and still invited the Greens to form a coalition as she wanted their expertise in green cabinet jobs and also said they would pull the government to the left (prob a bit much to ask for something so grown up to happen over here!).

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

And 20-30 of them won't be positive cases but close contacts who "might" have the virus ?   That is what usually happens off 1 or 2 confirmed cases.

No there’s definitely 20-30 confirmed PCT tests. Then more off isolating. The School Facebook page has degenerated into partial hysteria with someone writing to the Council to close the School. My kids still going in.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I guess it depends on what the headlines will be in the main papers?

Surely even the rabid right wing papers won't be able to resist this, being how juicy it is! Though I suppose it prob won't be the hardest thing for them to depict Cummings as a weirdo lunatic should they wish to.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Not quite the same thing but Jacinda Ardern won a majority last election around in NZ and still invited the Greens to form a coalition as she wanted their expertise in green cabinet jobs and also said they would pull the government to the left (prob a bit much to ask for something so grown up to happen over here!).

Way too much. We’re weirdly obsessed with FPTP and ‘strong Government’

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Surely even the rabid right wing papers won't be able to resist this, being how juicy it is! Though I suppose it prob won't be the hardest thing for them to depict Cummings as a weirdo lunatic should they wish to.

It'll only really start to gain momentum if they can put up and back an alternative candidate (that they support) and that they can persuade people that a change is a viable and necessary option. There's no opposition at the moment so they can afford some vicious infighting.

I'm at my mum's and we watched some of the Cummings thing. She thought it was boring as fuck, and I thought it was fascinating. She thinks it's all old news now, no point crying over spilt milk, what's done is done, what's the point of going over it all again, whereas I think it's extremely important that we know this stuff. I wonder which of us is more intune with the great british public.

53 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This will be the "speech saying how good the government response was" that he apparently wanted to do last week

They'll just say they did well, and many will believe them. Those that don't would never vote for them anyway. It's just a massive sham really 

In the real world he's just supposed to be doing the No 10 Coronavirus briefing tomorrow apparently.

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Is that a definitive thing or just by convention? 

Like most of what happens, it's by convention. No written constitution to define these things. But basically ministers have to be subject to the ministerial code, so have to be sitting in the HoC or HoL. 

But what they can, and have done is ennoble people in order to bring them in as experts. He even ennobled Nicky Morgan so she could keep her job, despite her not being an expert in any area, after she had lost her seat.

Edited by Copperface
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Like most of what happens, it's by convention. No written constitution to define these things. But basically ministers have to be subject to the ministerial code, so have to be sitting in the HoC or HoL. 

But what they can, and have done is ennoble people in order to bring them in as experts. He even ennobled Nicky Morgan so she could keep her job, despite her not being an expert in any area, after she had lost her seat.

Thank you. Yes, the ministerial code thing makes sense now I think about it. 

I think I remember Nicky Morgan, that was possibly what I was thinking of re members of the HoL being in cabinet

• Like 1

With just over three weeks to go until June 21, I keep seeing that we will be 'good to go, set free' etc etc.

What do people actually think this means in terms of specifics?

With the target for offering all UK adults a first vaccination by end of July, an immense achievement, and an associated subsequent wait of about three weeks for effective protection, and presumably the majority of younger people receiving Pfizer, again requiring two doses over an 8 week period that'll take us to mid September for many. Pilot events are still going on, travel quarantine requirements for UK travellers have been put in place (France today) and so much is still up in the air.

What is this date likely to mean in terms of daily life for the UK population, instead of some nebulous terminology?

8 minutes ago, Copperface said:

With just over three weeks to go until June 21, I keep seeing that we will be 'good to go, set free' etc etc.

With the target for offering all UK adults a first vaccination by end of July, an immense achievement, and an associated subsequent wait of about three weeks for effective protection, and presumably the majority of younger people receiving Pfizer, again requiring two doses over an 8 week period that'll take us to mid September for many. Pilot events are still going on, travel quarantine requirements for UK travellers have been put in place (France today) and so much is still up in the air.

What is this date likely to mean in terms of daily life for the UK population, instead of some nebulous terminology?

Personally, it will mean one big thing - currently local swimming pools aren't doing "family fun swims", just boring lane swims and my young daughter has been pining for the pool since the first lockdown.

12 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Couple of things...

That end of July target date is overly pessimistic. At the current rollout speed, it'll be achieved by the end of June.

In terms of specifics, things like house parties being reintroduced will be great.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Personally, it will mean one big thing - currently local swimming pools aren't doing "family fun swims", just boring lane swims and my young daughter has been pining for the pool since the first lockdown.

Ha, that'll be great. I'm waiting to get back to our group table tennis nights.

But in wider terms, are we expecting a full lifting of all restrictions, some restrictions or just a tinkering around the edges? If so which restrictions?

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Couple of things...

That end of July target date is overly pessimistic. At the current rollout speed, it'll be achieved by the end of June.

In terms of specifics, things like house parties being reintroduced will be great.

I just used the current government target which is end July. No idea whether it's pessimistic. Even taking June as the date, then end of August is second dose time so three weeks after that ie mid Sept for full protection according to the figures.

House parties is the limit of what you think will be permitted?

Edited by Copperface

6 minutes ago, Copperface said:

But in wider terms, are we expecting a full lifting of all restrictions, some restrictions or just a tinkering around the edges? If so which restrictions?

I think masks in some settings, guidance to keep apart from people as much as possible, and the rest will reopen

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I just used the current government target which is end July. No idea whether it's pessimistic. Even taking June as the date, then end of August is second dose time so three weeks after that ie mid Sept for full protection according to the figures.

House parties is the limit of what you think will be permitted?

Pretty much, yeah. Step 4 states that "all legal limits on social contact" will be repealed. Larger events are "subject to review" and it sounds like they'll move to larger trial events first before the eventual free for all. There is also a non-zero chance that face coverings stay and social distancing is still forced in indoor public spaces.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think masks in some settings, guidance to keep apart from people as much as possible, and the rest will reopen

So from June 21st, just face coverings in some settings. And nothing else? No travel restrictions? No testing?

All festivals on? 

3 minutes ago, Copperface said:

So from June 21st, just face coverings in some settings. And nothing else? No travel restrictions? No testing?

All festivals on? 

We'll still have T&T and the RAG list for international travel.

Neither of those things are restrictions on social contact.

11 minutes ago, Copperface said:

It's the million dollar question. Still depends on where we are in terms of cases etc in a few weeks, but at moment I think most restrictions will be lifted. And by most I mean social distancing and mask wearing and any limits on numbers that can meet indoors etc. Maybe they will need a proof of negative test result or vaccine for concerts/nightclubs etc., but I think it really will be back to normal. I expect there will still be some initial nervousness with some of the public. Of course if cases numbers are growing rapidly then this might change, but still think it will be localised restrictions rather than national.

7 minutes ago, Copperface said:

All festivals on? 

Travel restrictions as now but more green list countries 

Testing stays as it. No 10 day quarantine fir contacts if you're double jabbed