When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly it doesn’t matter, the PM said all restrictions would be removed on June 21st, people will be expecting that. It’s not the first time the PM will have promised something and not delivered. You are right people shouldn’t take the PM at his word but in this case a lot of people will be angry if he doesn’t keep to it. 

He didn't. You know he didn't. Although people are expecting it, this "no earlier than" point has been made repeatedly. It's headline news when moving to the next step is confirmed and has been every time.

If this variant does prove to cause us serious issues, then it's absolutely in the plan to delay the last step. That's not some nitpicking point that only people who post stats on a forum every day would understand, it's been a big part of this roadmap throughout. It's explicitly contained provisions for delaying the steps in service of them being one-way.

If they delay, I'll be disappointed, as I read the news in the pub, eating a meal before I go to the cinema. And I might even have gone swimming that morning.  We've just had the big step that makes a difference, if the last step is delayed a month, people will understand, the public have shown themselves to be more cautious than the Government at most points during the pandemic, they'll wait.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He didn't. You know he didn't. Although people are expecting it, this "no earlier than" point has been made repeatedly. It's headline news when moving to the next step is confirmed and has been every time.

If this variant does prove to cause us serious issues, then it's absolutely in the plan to delay the last step. That's not some nitpicking point that only people who post stats on a forum every day would understand, it's been a big part of this roadmap throughout. It's explicitly contained provisions for delaying the steps in service of them being one-way.

If they delay, I'll be disappointed, as I read the news in the pub, eating a meal before I go to the cinema. And I might even have gone swimming that morning.  We've just had the big step that makes a difference, if the last step is delayed a month, people will understand, the public have shown themselves to be more cautious than the Government at most points during the pandemic, they'll wait.

Hmmmm dunno about that. Awful lot of weddings/trips/events that can't go ahead and businesses which will collapse.

I dont even think the current figures justify a further delay. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Hmmmm dunno about that. Awful lot of weddings/trips/events that can't go ahead and businesses which will collapse.

I dont even think the current figures justify a further delay. 

I'm not saying whether they should or not - I'm not qualified and the data just isn't in yet - but I am saying he won't get too much flack for breaking a promise, because he categorically didn't promise.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not saying whether they should or not - I'm not qualified and the data just isn't in yet - but I am saying he won't get too much flack for breaking a promise, because he categorically didn't promise.

Let's see. The backbenchers certainly won't be happy and I think a lot of people are very much expecting things to be done June 21st. There's a reason why the papers call it freedom day. 

.they'll have to be VERY strong evidence of the variant being more dangerous. Not 'just in case'

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Let's see. The backbenchers certainly won't be happy and I think a lot of people are very much expecting things to be done June 21st. There's a reason why the papers call it freedom day. 

.they'll have to be VERY strong evidence of the variant being more dangerous. Not 'just in case'

Yeah, it'll be exponential growth and modelling showing large numbers of hospitalisations that would do it. Will the models show that? We'll see over the next few days it seems.

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

You've kinda summed it all up by quoting the daily mail. They know shit all before the telegraph and independent along with maybe the times of any if them that do know stuff.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And they don't have it currently. Papers needs stories to sell papers just like the sun needs a daily transfer story to get it bought for the fee back pages along with the star etc.

If we are going to say people have stuck by rules all the way through cautiously compared to the government's shit then thay is shit. You see rule breaking all the time.

8 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m gonna change my name to Dr Fuzzy Afro and turn up to the next meeting of fake SAGE. I’d be as qualified to be as here as those charlatans. 

63FA4F30-5A13-405C-BE48-5CE9E9C96D63.png

I dunno, being an expert in social science seems reasonable enough to me - that's part of the impact of the pandemic, isn't it? Or are we insisting that everyone has to be a doctor now? Just seems like the Telegraph picking things apart because they don't like what she says. It's not exactly a secret that not all of them are medically qualified.

I think the reaction to fake SAGE is a bit overblown. These people aren't actually deciding anything; they're not a recognised body. They're a bunch of people who know quite a bit more than most, having opinions. Many of the replies to this tweet are absolutely unhinged - the kind of extreme drivel you'd expect to see from the Qanon loons - quite disappointing to see.

Edited by kalifire
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I dunno, being an expert in social science seems reasonable enough to me - that's part of the impact of the pandemic, isn't it? Or are we insisting that everyone has to be a doctor now? Just seems like the Telegraph picking things apart because they don't like what she says. It's not exactly a secret that not all of them are medically qualified.

I think the reaction to fake SAGE is a bit overblown. These people aren't actually deciding anything; they're not a recognised body. They're a bunch of people who know quite a bit more than most, having opinions. Many of the replies to this tweet are absolutely unhinged - the kind of extreme drivel you'd expect to see from the Qanon loons - quite disappointing to see.

She's the one who was saying this

6 hours ago, august1 said:

Local vaccine uptake is now on the dashboard when you put your postcode in, not sure whether to be disappointed or if Wales is is skewing the overall average

Indeed it is mate. They’ve done really good work with the data in the dashboard, it’s a really comprehensive site for information.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

yeah, it's just shitty reporting from a shitty paper read by shitty people.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think that tweet sums up fake sage nicely.  Scare mongering comment by someone without the expertise to make it.

Once this is over people like her will not get any air time. I can imagine they want the pandemic and lockdown to continue for their own career.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

While they are not the decision makers it cannot be ignored that they are influential. They state exactly what the sensationalist media want to hear, and they create bait that their followers on social media whip up to create hysteria.

A few of them now have popped up on channel 4 and they are being interviewed as if they are legitimate voices. They are making people afraid and trying to turn the media narrative into one that makes us question whether we need to lock down again.

It’s clear to me they don’t want to acknowledge any progress, and they are probably blind to it because they shift the goal posts. They can’t get the government on the vaccine roll out, so instead they are guilting them into a zero covid strategy.

I guess as well that they want the worst to come true, just to say that they were the ones who saw it coming. It definitely feels like a desire for personal fame rather than thinking logically.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, august1 said:

Local vaccine uptake is now on the dashboard when you put your postcode in, not sure whether to be disappointed or if Wales is is skewing the overall average

Local figures where I live (Sedgemoor in Somerset) from May 18 are very encouraging:

People tested positive: 0

Deaths: 0

Patients admitted: 0

First dose: 70%

Second dose: 41.9%

Let's just move all events here! 😂

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Local figures where I live (Sedgemoor in Somerset) from May 18 are very encouraging:

Blimey...that isn't bad going.

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

But still - huge chunks of people not taking up the vaccine. The only sensible thing is to lock down immediately. 

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Not sure if the cases data can be taken as 100% correct as this is also showing as 0 in BANES which definitely didn't have 0 positive cases yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But still - huge chunks of people not taking up the vaccine. The only sensible thing is to lock down immediately. 

😂 I think you're right. 

There's quite a significant elderly population here but it definitely demonstrates one thing: more vaccinations = fewer cases = fewer deaths. 

Vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate! 

Also, isn't 70% the mystical figure for herd immunity? I'd be interested to see the local impact after the whitsun week holiday in a fortnight. Get through that unscathed and in my opinion, we're home and hosed. Certainly in my area, at least.