When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haven't you always said that basically no-one in their 40s-60s dies of the disease? 

Whilst he doesn’t explicitly say it in that post he has before commented that the older population would be dying soon anyway so it’s not a surprise that he’s commented like that. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Weekend lag is more on deaths, not infections 

Sorry I only say this because I once commented about low cases on a Monday and then was corrected it was due to a lag, I know it's for the deaths but don't know if it worked both ways 

Edited by Chapple12345

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Whilst he doesn’t explicitly say it in that post he has before commented that the older population would be dying soon anyway so it’s not a surprise that he’s commented like that. 

Yes I'm aware, I've pulled him up on it before. Just thought @Fuzzy Afro was saying then that people in their 40s-60s were low risk but now seems to be acknowledging thay they are at risk of hospitalisation and potentially death so seemed a change of heart.

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

There should be fewer Flu cases because of the masks and distancing, there will be fewer at risk of hospitalisation because Covid reduced that number earlier in the year.

There may also be less flu cases as more people, including myself, are getting jabbed this year.

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Sorry I only day this because I once commented about low cases on a Monday and then was corrected it was due to a lag, I know it's for the deaths but don't know if it worked both ways 

There have been lower case numbers over the weekends...but not sure where we are with this one because of the lost numbers from last week.

Anyway, need to look at weekly numbers to see trends...etc.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes I'm aware, I've pulled him up on it before. Just thought @Fuzzy Afro was saying then that people in their 40s-60s were low risk but now seems to be acknowledging thay they are at risk of hospitalisation and potentially death so seemed a change of heart.

Well I would say that they generally are low risk, but the percentage of people who need hospital treatment will be higher than younger people. The vast majority of these people would still survive, but they might not if the hospital was overwhelmed. It’s really important to avoid the hospital getting overwhelmed is my point. 

48 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently there's going to be an official "President Donald J. Trump Defeats COVID” commemorative coin.

Impressive work to get that produced so quickly don't you think?  On a weekend as well?  I can't see any evidence that this must have been planned in advance.  None at all.  Bargain at $100.

Actually speaking of hospitals getting overwhelmed, my favourite source for corona stuff BritOliver on twitter is becoming seriously worried that the North West is heading down that route :( looking at the daily hospitalisations I’m not even sure how they could slow it down up there. Even a March level lockdown of the entire NW region means that theres at least two weeks of admissions to go in. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

There have been lower case numbers over the weekends...but not sure where we are with this one because of the lost numbers from last week.

Anyway, need to look at weekly numbers to see trends...etc.

Agreed, this week has really put a spanner in the work for any infections we have. I understand theres a rise in cases but I hear so many contradictory stories that I don't know who to believe, especially when they're saying cases may be levelling off in some areas. I think we'll have a better picture by the weekend as to where we properly stand 

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Worrying trend for hospital admissions in the North West. Now at about 1/4 of the peak admissions and rising quickly.

However that's not the case in other regions. E.g. London.

Screenshot_20201006-162847.png

Screenshot_20201006-162904.png

Yes it is worrying, it appears to be the epicentre of the virus for the 2nd wave here. 

11 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Sorry I only say this because I once commented about low cases on a Monday and then was corrected it was due to a lag, I know it's for the deaths but don't know if it worked both ways 

Sorry but there is a weekend lag for cases too, it’s not as large but the graph here shows every few days a drop in cases which would be weekend lag. 

98E09B4A-8EF8-4504-B06B-1E28091E9BE7.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Worrying trend for hospital admissions in the North West. Now at about 1/4 of the peak admissions and rising quickly.

As far back as early June it was apparent that things were worse in the North West.

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-lockdown-north-west-mayors-andy-burnham-virus-rate-434921/amp

Here is Andy Burnham saying at the start of June that the non-essential shops opening up on the 15th is too early for the North West. 

Dont forget that cases were thought to be 100,000 per day at the peak in March weren't they ? testing will be picking up far greater numbers now ... just trying to look for some better news .... but this does need slowing down now though ... :( anyone seen anything about the resumption of shielding anywhere .... I know it was talked about  a while ago but ive seen nothing more ... surely it would be a good time to resume this ... as these people are most susceptible to hospital admission ...

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

For reference it would help to have that expressed in the same way. 700,000 a year if you assume a population of 7 billion for ease is 100 per million a year so 0.27 per million daily average.

So the situation in America is currently almost 10 times worse than flu and even here with all the mitigating measures we have in place we're over double that daily rate and it's rising. Not to mention it was much worse at its peak.

Plus as the 'its just flu' brigade seem to continuously 'forget', the issue is if its left unchecked, it overloads the nhs which would lead to a catastrophic rise in deaths because no one can get treatment for anything. I'm getting fed up of having to keep bringing this up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

As far back as early June it was apparent that things were worse in the North West.

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-lockdown-north-west-mayors-andy-burnham-virus-rate-434921/amp

Here is Andy Burnham saying at the start of June that the non-essential shops opening up on the 15th is too early for the North West. 

I live in the North West - I wish they'd just do the lockdown now, I don't get what the point is in leaving it much longer. The sooner it starts the sooner its over and the fewer people die