When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes an option to get tested when coming back from a “high risk country” and end your 2 week quarantine early after 2 negative consecutive tests would be much better than forcing everyone into quarantine for 2 weeks, which will affect a lot of people’s jobs.

Unfortunately our country haven’t quite got to that idea yet, it’s what they are doing in germany though.

Apparently there’s a very high rate of false negatives in the first few days after you’re infected, which is why contacts of positive cases and people from high risk countries need to do 2 weeks even if they test negative. 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Apparently there’s a very high rate of false negatives in the first few days after you’re infected, which is why contacts of positive cases and people from high risk countries need to do 2 weeks even if they test negative. 

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. Guess lots more countries will be added to a 2 week quarantine then.

Dont think it’s going to go down well with the public....

I think I know why factories are high risk now. 

I left my little office bubble earlier today to do some measuring up on site for some equipment relocation and coincidentally it was the same time as shift changeover for the guys in the factory. In the factory itself, everyone is spaced 2m apart, masked up, one way system in place. Everything as it should be to keep things covid secure.

All those measures go out of the window when you have the whole shift swarming around the clocking out machine at 2pm, the vast majority having already taken their masks off. 🤦‍♂️

I’ll be sending an email in the morning to the person in charge of health and safety in the morning. 

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

France, Switzerland, holland, Malta, Greece, croatia, iceland, austria and Denmark all have higher rates than Germany.

Germany’s 7 day average per 100,000 population is still lower than ours. There’s loads of other countries which will be added to the quarantine list before germany.

Upvote for taking the time to write a long reply to me the other day when I’d run out! 

I hope you are doing ok and can get some semblance of normality in your life soon buddy. I’m sure this shit will end soon! 

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think I know why factories are high risk now. 

I left my little office bubble earlier today to do some measuring up on site for some equipment relocation and coincidentally it was the same time as shift changeover for the guys in the factory. In the factory itself, everyone is spaced 2m apart, masked up, one way system in place. Everything as it should be to keep things covid secure.

All those measures go out of the window when you have the whole shift swarming around the clocking out machine at 2pm, the vast majority having already taken their masks off. 🤦‍♂️

I’ll be sending an email in the morning to the person in charge of health and safety in the morning. 

that seems a very easy problem to fix.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that seems a very easy problem to fix.

Yeah it should be. I imagine there are similar scenes around the country especially when the weather has been this good. Everyone desperately trying to be the first out of the building and into the pub. 

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Is the current prevalence per 100,000 higher in several European countries than the UK?

If I were the government I’d clamp down on inward travel bridges ASAP to avoid a late Feb/early March esque disaster. Get Malta, France, Germany and Netherlands on the quarantine list to start with.

Semi-related news but I had a covid scare myself on Sunday and I’m now self-isolating (purely out of an abundance of precaution, as I’ve tested negative). Had dinner at a mate’s flat on Sunday, the next day he gets a call from his brother (who he’d gone to the pub with last Wednesday) to say that the brother tested positive. Mate gets tested and finds out Tuesday morning that he’s positive despite feeling perfectly fine. 

I was tested yesterday and I’m negative but will self-isolate until Sunday 23 August as a pure precaution. Mate has developed symptoms today (loss of smell and taste) which suggests he probably wasn’t contagious until Tuesday or yesterday. 

Point of this post though is to apologise to those of you on this thread who were still taking it seriously and I disagreed with them. It’s a huge relief to be negative, but having the scare has made me understand how easy it spreads. After my isolation is over I’m going to stick to meeting people outside and social distancing properly.

The big thing for me is that I met up with some relatives on Sunday evening right after leaving my mate’s place and whilst not vulnerable per se, they’re in their late 50’s and both self-employed so the knock on effects of a 2 week isolation (had I tested positive) would hurt their livelihoods, plus there’s the small risk of them becoming seriously ill despite them being in good health atm.

TL;DR had given up on distancing but now realised how important it is following a covid scare. Apologies to @FestivalJamie, @efcfanwirral and anyone else who’s concerned is rubbished on here in the recent weeks 

This essentially why we can’t get this pandemic under control. Too many people have to get a taste of it before they’ll realise what’s happening. I’m glad you’re ok and hope your mate has a mild dose. 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so who will be ? and who won't  be?  downloading the worlds best coronavirus track and trace app ? :) I think I will but not sure I will be in contact with many people for more than 15 mins though ...

Yeah I will be, if I knew how I’d sign up to be a volunteer for it.