When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

‘A further concern was the potential delay to the introduction of a vaccine in the UK by six months.

Initially, the EU insisted Britain withdraw backing for a national vaccine which is being developed at Oxford University and Imperial College.

This condition was later scrapped, but ministers decided to turn down the offer after officials said it could delay the development of a vaccine in the UK by six months.

The UK was invited to join the EU strategy under the Brexit withdrawal agreement currently in place.’

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1307569/eu-snub-brexit-news-coronavirus-vaccine-scheme-european-union

Clearly we could keep both options open and thus keep an open mind on the issue. Some people really should do research before they come out with comments. 

Edited by Ozanne

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

‘A further concern was the potential delay to the introduction of a vaccine in the UK by six months.

Initially, the EU insisted Britain withdraw backing for a national vaccine which is being developed at Oxford University and Imperial College.

This condition was later scrapped, but ministers decided to turn down the offer after officials said it could delay the development of a vaccine in the UK by six months.

The UK was invited to join the EU strategy under the Brexit withdrawal agreement currently in place.’

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1307569/eu-snub-brexit-news-coronavirus-vaccine-scheme-european-union

Clearly we could keep both options open and thus keep an open mind on the issue. Some people really should do research before they come out with comments. 

Why would it cause any delay to the UK vaccine if this condition had been removed?

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes if the Oxford vaccine works then great, but if it doesn’t or we need another vaccine surely being part of another program would help. Seems very closed minded of the government.

We should all be working together at this time.

What's amazed me is that aside from people deciding they'd like different hours/work from home more, people's attitudes to life haven't changed one jot.

At the start of this I naively thought we'd all come out of it realising what's important, how we're all similar, how short life can be, we all need to work together, all with a new commitment to tackling climate change etc, but nope! Feels like no one's learnt a thing and will be quite content blaming china

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes if the Oxford vaccine works then great, but if it doesn’t or we need another vaccine surely being part of another program would help. Seems very closed minded of the government.

We should all be working together at this time.

But if it doesn't work dynamic global Britain will be better placed to act quickly and decisvely on its own rather than be tied to the sluggish, bureaucratic EU.

I'm being sarcastic but just because the government's EU = bad ideology is wrong doesn't mean EU = good is automatically right either.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

What's amazed me is that aside from people deciding they'd like different hours/work from home more, people's attitudes to life haven't changed one jot.

At the start of this I naively thought we'd all come out of it realising what's important, how we're all similar, how short life can be, we all need to work together, all with a new commitment to tackling climate change etc, but nope! Feels like no one's learnt a thing and will be quite content blaming china

Depressing isn't it? If anything the virus response has made people worse in terms of littering and not giving a shit. Saw a news story the other day about the amount of disposable masks ending up in the sea already :(

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But if it doesn't work dynamic global Britain will be better placed to act quickly and decisvely on its own rather than be tied to the sluggish, bureaucratic EU.

I'm being sarcastic but just because the government's EU = bad ideology is wrong doesn't mean EU = good is automatically right either.

I’m not saying I’m just saying having both options seems like a very sensible option. They are literally saying we can do that but we are choosing not to.

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

About it potentially causing a delay you mean?  Have they given a reason as to why they think that could be the case?

Yeah about it causing a delay which it doesn’t look like it will. If we have already developed and are producing the vaccine through the pharmaceutical firms then it can’t really be delayed much more unless the trials aren’t successful.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Depressing isn't it? If anything the virus response has made people worse in terms of littering and not giving a shit. Saw a news story the other day about the amount of disposable masks ending up in the sea already :(

This is going to happen unfortunately.  Its like with other things like disposable nappies, cleaning wipes, plastic bags etc.  There are more eco friendly alternatives but people want convenience :( 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not surprising based on where they are mandatory ... if you add shops to that list the uptake will be loads more ... but I thought I’ve noticed them becoming more in use over the week I’ve been back .. so that evidence whilst behind showing more use is encouraging 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

some better numbers again today .... that R number is creeping up though .... will wait for oz to post ...

Interesting caveats about the R number being less reliable as cases get very low. Suggests even if it jumps up to above one it's not immediately concerning if cases are low.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-r-number-in-the-uk#latest-r-number-and-growth-rate

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Interesting caveats about the R number being less reliable as cases get very low. Suggests even if it jumps up to above one it's not immediately concerning if cases are low.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-r-number-in-the-uk#latest-r-number-and-growth-rate

yep id seen that before .... so some positive news at last ...... I just always seem to be waiting to see what happens in a couple of weeks ... I feel like thats been my whole summer