Jump to content
marathonsteve

Showdown at Glastonbury. Goode versus Eavis

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Full version linked here - 

 

Saved for later, thanks!

Is there a Glastonbury documentary thread? I would like one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Saved for later, thanks!

Is there a Glastonbury documentary thread? I would like one.

Might be here but then again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goode versus Eavis is a fascinating insight into earlier years, and a few of the batshit crazy neighbours he has had to put up with, all in good grace. I understand her giant replica instrument of agonising death is still visible from certain areas of the site.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Annoyingly "Glastonbury Man" from 2000 has been blocked in the UK and isn't on iPlayer.  So it's totally unavailable apart from an 8 minute clip on here:

http://www.agbfilms.co.uk/productions/glastonburyman.html

Gutted. I guess I should start a new thread rather than hijack this one really...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Annoyingly "Glastonbury Man" from 2000 has been blocked in the UK and isn't on iPlayer.  So it's totally unavailable apart from an 8 minute clip on here:

http://www.agbfilms.co.uk/productions/glastonburyman.html

The part where Michael is remembering Jean and getting upset is a real choker. 

I think I have a copy of that doc somewhere. 

Glastopia: Glastonbury After Hours is my favourite documentary. I watch it a few times a year but particularly the weekend before the festival, just to turn the excitement up to 11. I have a copy of this one too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Goode v Eavis there was some mention of a Giant Cross that was erected facing the Pyramid Stage . Any one ever see it. Is it still there

Edited by marathonsteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is still there I believe (or at least last time I checked), maintained now by her daughter is it, who is a bit less hostile to the festi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

It is still there I believe (or at least last time I checked), maintained now by her daughter is it, who is a bit less hostile to the festi.

Where would be the best place to glimpse the said Cross?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

It is still there I believe (or at least last time I checked), maintained now by her daughter is it, who is a bit less hostile to the festi.

It's in the middle of the Tangerine Fields campsite just opposite the top of Muddy Lane at Mary's Gate.  You can make it out on Google Maps here.....
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B4RFtVva3Gtf7hm98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

It's in the middle of the Tangerine Fields campsite just opposite the top of Muddy Lane at Mary's Gate.  You can make it out on Google Maps here.....
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B4RFtVva3Gtf7hm98

Anne Goodes family try to maintain the Christian values she upheld, and even in recent years there has been a small wooden shelter at the bottom of the Tangerine Fields site during the festival where there is some Christian literature and they have a small Sunday service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parsonjack said:

Anne Goodes family try to maintain the Christian values she upheld, and even in recent years there has been a small wooden shelter at the bottom of the Tangerine Fields site during the festival where there is some Christian literature and they have a small Sunday service. 

It's not at all in your face or 'preachy', and in keeping with the ethos of inclusivity that spans every aspect of the Festival I very much respect it, and the family's views.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

It's in the middle of the Tangerine Fields campsite just opposite the top of Muddy Lane at Mary's Gate.  You can make it out on Google Maps here.....
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B4RFtVva3Gtf7hm98

Ah Thanks for that. I will be in Toms field so I shall take a look .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

It's in the middle of the Tangerine Fields campsite just opposite the top of Muddy Lane at Mary's Gate.  You can make it out on Google Maps here.....
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B4RFtVva3Gtf7hm98

Coincidentally I spotted this on Sunday when I visited the site - didn’t think anything of it at the time but now it all makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

Coincidentally I spotted this on Sunday when I visited the site - didn’t think anything of it at the time but now it all makes sense.

I have been going since 2013 and have never seen it. A visit to Spec-savers might be in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I have been going since 2013 and have never seen it. A visit to Spec-savers might be in order.

I’ve never seen it during the festival so presumably it’s obscured by other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see it quite easily, but you need to be high up on the other side of the valley, so have a look if you're at the Stone Circle, Crow's Nest etc.

Edited by fatyeti24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fatyeti24 said:

You can see it quite easily, but you need to be quite high up on the other side of the valley, so have a look if your at the Stone Circle, Crow's Nest etc.

Brill thanks for that. The Cross is part of Glastonbury Legend and I didn't know a thing about it. Such is life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Brill thanks for that. The Cross is part of Glastonbury Legend and I didn't know a thing about it. Such is life.

I've got a photo of it from when I stayed in Tangerine Fields a few years ago, I just can't get to that photo right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you reckon this is / these are? Reckon it is where the oil drum bins rest when the festival isn't on?

Screenshot_2020-02-26-21-23-10-101_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

What do you reckon this is / these are? Reckon it is where the oil drum bins rest when the festival isn't on?

Screenshot_2020-02-26-21-23-10-101_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

That's exactly what it is 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. In what seems like a dim and distant life ago, i did this for a living.

Unfortunately, it usually resulted in weaponry being dropped on people's heads a short time later..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

What do you reckon this is / these are? Reckon it is where the oil drum bins rest when the festival isn't on?

Screenshot_2020-02-26-21-23-10-101_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Yea Great Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...