Geeky speaker setup etc info

Brave Sir Robin

Nice interesting link cheers. Must say it all did sound a whole better this year even with the stiff breeze at times.

Davy Ogilvy, FOH engineer for Tom Odell, commented: “I thought it was great, I expected the sound to get blown away in the wind but all the power stayed there, I’m very happy”, while Mike Timm, FOH engineer for George Ezra, added “I was really impressed with how it held up in the wind, it sounded great and the low end was good”.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've not read yet, but I reckon IICON was a MLA Compact. Let's see...

Nope, something new:

New for 2019 was the IICONIC stage, featuring a 65ft sculpture of a human head wrapped in a VR headset evoking ‘the pervasive nature of technology on the human spirit’. Martin Audio’s WPL made its festival debut on the stage by way of an immersive surround sound system designed by RG’s Simon Honywill, consultant sound engineer for the festival. WPL is Martin Audio’s new large format optimised passive line array from the Wavefront Precision series and is designed to offer an adaptable approach to optimisation of line arrays through Scalable Resolution, whereby the user decides upon the number of enclosures with dedicated amplifier channels that are required for the coverage, consistency and control of the space.

“I thought that rather than just having this incredible structure and then just straight forward left right standard deployment, let’s go a bit crazy and do it in surround sound,” said Honywill. “So we had six hangs of ten WPL all pointing inwards with optimisation of the sound fields to maximise the experience through the space for a 15,000 crowd. A single 23-metre long SHX218 sub array in a broadside cardioid pattern provided the thumping bass, but also control too. Each night there was a specially-commissioned presentation where the stage structure is projection mapped combined with 6.1 surround audio which worked highly effectively. Then for the DJ sets we used a Trinnov Altitude 32 system to effectively up mix the stereo output to the 6.1 surround system and the results of that, were frankly outstanding.”

Nice modest self-assessment at the end there.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've not read yet, but I reckon IICON was a MLA Compact. Let's see...

I'm going to give myself half marks for that. I guessed IICON was one of the six Martin Audio rigs, but it's one of the only systems not MLA or MLA Compact. I wish I'd made it up to JPT this year, would have liked to hear the difference between Compact and full MLA.

I'm giving myself full marks for what seemed like craZy conspiracy theories on W Holts. I was completely right! *smugface*

The question has to be - what the fuck is up with Other not being Martin? Why is it so special? 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The improvement in the last 5 years or so has been one of the festivals great achievements. Pyramid and particularly the West Holts totally transformed. 

Agreed. I was touring a newbie around the site on Thursday and when we came to the Pyramid field I had to introduce it as not only the biggest, but actually the best sound system on site, something that I've been unable to say for most of the 22 years I've been coming to the festival.

Jazz Stage sounded better than ever....  Other stage dB rig as good as ever, although a tad quieter than before.. 

Anyone feel the void single stack in the SE corner, wtf was that... Standing 2m from it, it physically hurt, never experienced sound preasure like that.. 

2 hours ago, mrfunk said:

Jazz Stage sounded better than ever....  Other stage dB rig as good as ever, although a tad quieter than before.. 

Anyone feel the void single stack in the SE corner, wtf was that... Standing 2m from it, it physically hurt, never experienced sound preasure like that.. 

It might be just the way they wanted it to sound, but stood level with the desk for the Chemical Brothers, every time the bass dropped, that was pretty much all you could hear. During Galvanise, I could hear the crowd singing the main riff more than from the speakers.

Whereas for the admittedly quite different Jon Hopkins, everything was crisp and balanced, even when he dropped the bass.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed. I was touring a newbie around the site on Thursday and when we came to the Pyramid field I had to introduce it as not only the biggest, but actually the best sound system on site, something that I've been unable to say for most of the 22 years I've been coming to the festival.

Not long after this his newbie fled and was never seen again. One way to reduce people aiming for tickets in Oct Stu