Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Been trying to get back on the running. Had a very bad case of what the dr reckons was gout in my big toe which meant i could barley walk for 2 months.

Been doing 3 runs a week for 2 weeks (3km, 4km and 5km) and now trying to get up to 4 runs (3km, 4km, 5km, 6km).

The goal is the get up to 10km and it under an hour comfortably by end of October. Have my first child on the way after that so who knows what time or energy ill have to run then but i ordered a load of weights and benches last week for the garage so hopefully can do a bit of that.

Glasto is so much easier when you're fit so hopefully by next june i wont have a complete dad bod.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Ran 10k in 50.14 this morning. Felt good. Strava says it’s my third fastest time but I can’t see the two above that. Does the free Strava show this info anywhere?

But would you have really done that this weekend had the festival been on, stop cheating!!! 

Been keeping up with the running for the last few weeks, loving being back out in the hills a bit.

But the real news is that pre-season training begins next week. I mean, we're not expecting to be playing any games until January but that's not the point! :lol:

Should be good, getting out running is one thing but doing that kind of interval work is much harder on your own.  Be good to have some structure around it.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, Ryan1984 said:

Ran 10k in 50.14 this morning. Felt good. Strava says it’s my third fastest time but I can’t see the two above that. Does the free Strava show this info anywhere?

Annoyingly Strava don't allow this natively which is odd considering how much data they process. I link my account to this site https://www.benwebb.net which will give you a list of times for various distances. Hopefully Strava will incorporate something like this themselves one day

12 minutes ago, hillwalker said:

Annoyingly Strava don't allow this natively which is odd considering how much data they process. I link my account to this site https://www.benwebb.net which will give you a list of times for various distances. Hopefully Strava will incorporate something like this themselves one day

Thank you - just what I was after!

Been for a 6k this morning before work, I'm finally into running before work now that I'm WFH, so I'd like to keep that as a thing when I go back to the office. I work full time and am studying so the extra time in the evening is a godsend! 

Anyway, I'm thinking of investing in a sports watch and have my eye on a Garmin forerunner as I'd like to keep an eye on my pace during runs. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking up to £300 as a max. 

3 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Been for a 6k this morning before work, I'm finally into running before work now that I'm WFH, so I'd like to keep that as a thing when I go back to the office. I work full time and am studying so the extra time in the evening is a godsend! 

Anyway, I'm thinking of investing in a sports watch and have my eye on a Garmin forerunner as I'd like to keep an eye on my pace during runs. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking up to £300 as a max. 

Lockdown has been great for my fitness - I've been running early before work 3 times a week and then doing a longer run at the weekend. i really peaked my fitness for end of June this year, hoping I can keep it going for another year. 

I've been looking to upgrade my older forerunner to one of the newer ones and the 245 looks good. Can download music too it as well so don't need to take a phone out with you. I was tempted by the older 635 but the extra bits it has isn't really worth it for me and the battery life on GPS is a lot worse. If you have any NHS friends or someone with a blue light card they can get 40% off most Garmin watches until next May - It's what made me consider the upgrade!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I've got a TomTom Multisport, which is pretty basic but does the job. Running, cycling, swimming, freestyle & stopwatch. Does HR, pace zones and intervals as well.  The only issue with it is that the TomTom app is crap, so uploading activities is never as straightforward as it should be. The big positive is that it's so far pretty indestructible; it's done 2 or 3 tough mudders, a Paras10 and 2 Fan Dances, plus all the usual running and swimming and cycling.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but it's certainly done a job for me.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, hillwalker said:

Lockdown has been great for my fitness - I've been running early before work 3 times a week and then doing a longer run at the weekend. i really peaked my fitness for end of June this year, hoping I can keep it going for another year. 

I've been looking to upgrade my older forerunner to one of the newer ones and the 245 looks good. Can download music too it as well so don't need to take a phone out with you. I was tempted by the older 635 but the extra bits it has isn't really worth it for me and the battery life on GPS is a lot worse. If you have any NHS friends or someone with a blue light card they can get 40% off most Garmin watches until next May - It's what made me consider the upgrade!

Interesting, I have a friend who swears by the 235 but I don't think that plays music, which would actually be pretty cool not having to take a phone out! My mum works for the NHS so I might look into that. Thanks :) 

3 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

Garmin all the way 

Had fitbit - kept breaking

Had Tom Tom - hated the button style for navigating around different screens. It's not intuitive. Plus the stats weren't accurate. 

Garmin has all the toys  at a good price. App is great and easy to navigate.  Stats are accurate.  Has lasted the test of time so far. Plus it looks good.  So many others look huge on my wrist. This one is smaller and less chunky so I wear it 24/7

• Upvote 1

Solid week, consistency finally coming together. 2 runs, 3 weights sessions and one HIIT legs circuit. 5km pace back under 5 min/km at last.  First week since lockdown where I feel like I've actually hit every muscle group and got some decent cardio in. I am happy.

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Three very shit runs on the bounce, struggling to stay enthused with it. 

Try to see them just as just another run. You got out and did it, that makes it worthwhile.  We all have different days, I try not to think of any as bad and at my age feel lucky that I can enjoy runs. I have nothing to prove to anyone (did all that for many years) and run because I can, run for enjoyment and not for targets or times. 

Take any pressure out of it, enjoy rather than see it as something to be achieved or bettered constantly. All runs are good in their own way.

2 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Try to see them just as just another run. You got out and did it, that makes it worthwhile.  We all have different days, I try not to think of any as bad and at my age feel lucky that I can enjoy runs. I have nothing to prove to anyone (did all that for many years) and run because I can, run for enjoyment and not for targets or times. 

Take any pressure out of it, enjoy rather than see it as something to be achieved or bettered constantly. All runs are good in their own way.

Agreed. I'm still tracking runs and looking to improve, but unless I'm training for something specific I'm not actually monitoring pace or anything while I'm moving. Just loving being outside (especially up in the Downs) and being fit and well enough to run. The pace takes care of itself a bit.

31 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

It’s really weird because I'm not currently setting targets I'm just running to keep fit/make distance more comfortable but I'm just getting no enjoyment from it and it feels like so much effort, which is most annoying. 

9 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

It’s really weird because I'm not currently setting targets I'm just running to keep fit/make distance more comfortable but I'm just getting no enjoyment from it and it feels like so much effort, which is most annoying. 

there is a lot to be said for running easy, just run at a comfortable pace rather than "pushy".  I usually just run at what feels good for the day, I want to be able to run 5 or 6 times a week and find that sometimes an easy run without ripping the arse out of pace or distance allows me to do that. I never get a medal for getting home hanging out of my hoop. Some days I do rip it but that is always an occurence rather than a plan, pace is always dependent on what it feels like after starting. The routes I run allow me to decide how far at various points, feeling good turn right for an extra 2 miles, feeling meh turn left and go home.

So if you see what looks like an old man running through treacle around Pilton, it is me on an easy day.

Did anyone else have a dip in their fitness during lockdown?  I was going great guns at the beginning but lost momentum and a bit of motivation, picked it back up now though and feeling fit again which has coincided with being back at work.  I think it was due to not having enough variation in my workouts.

6 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Did anyone else have a dip in their fitness during lockdown?  I was going great guns at the beginning but lost momentum and a bit of motivation, picked it back up now though and feeling fit again which has coincided with being back at work.  I think it was due to not having enough variation in my workouts.

I had a big dip, even though I've been working.  Biggest change for me in the last fortnight was properly figuring out how to use the kit I've got to get proper workouts.

34 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I'm still having a dip!! My birthday on Sunday and I have a few days off so intending to eat badly and then try and get back to being better from next Wednesday! 

49 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm still having a dip!! My birthday on Sunday and I have a few days off so intending to eat badly and then try and get back to being better from next Wednesday! 

I'm doing alright. Still exercising a lot - prob more than seven times a week (I often run and then do weights or core workout on the same day - in fairness, I am still in furlough, so not too hard). Still dipping though. I got up to 10k a couple of times but my knee started hurting so I just run 5k at a time now. And I'm still bodging together a weights session, but I'm not convinced it's varied/heavy enough.