Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

3 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Well I've done it... been reading this thread and took some inspiration - it may have been the Burt Reynolds photo, who knows? - I went back to running this week.

I'm probably the heaviest I've been, and I probably started with too much. I did 2.97 miles, but I killed my feet as I didn't put decent shoes on. I did another mini run too, but need to sort my shoe situation. I went out and got a road bike too yesterday, so going to get a few miles a day under my belt now! i can't believe how unfit I am, but that's what happens when you have two kids and don't exercise!

Thank you!

Yep those thigh high boots are a bugger to run in. 

Hamstring problem for about six months, did some sprint work last week and it seems to be getting better. A bit more of the same this week i think.  I should've learnt my lesson from years ago that a lot of running with out opening the legs up isn't great for the hammy's as they shorten.   If you're doing a lot of running make sure you get some sprints in every now and again to lengthen those hammys.

• Upvote 1

Purchased a new Garmin and it's turned me back onto competing against myself and a couple of pals. It doesn't help that one of them is into ultra this and ultra that so I'm always on their coat tails. 

The blue graph represents daily steps.  I get so annoyed when them peaks drop and end up going out the next day and give myself a bloody good seeing too!

IMG_20200608_215700_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

I’ve had a disaster of a weekend I got taken to hospital on Sunday with appendicitis and had them removed on Monday.

its fair to say I’m feeling pretty terrible and I’m not going to be running anywhere any time soon, I can barely walk to the toilet. It’s a whole ordeal in itself!! 
it’s such a shame as I’d found my running flow and was always happily hitting 4 runs a week with extra weights/hiit.

I know it’s time to rest and I can’t believe I’m saying it but the way I’m feeling now I’m actually glad those gates aren’t opening in 2 weeks as I don’t know if I’d be able to be there! 

As always I’m still loving seeing everyone’s comebacks and accomplishments. 

4 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I know it’s time to rest and I can’t believe I’m saying it but the way I’m feeling now I’m actually glad those gates aren’t opening in 2 weeks as I don’t know if I’d be able to be there! 

As always I’m still loving seeing everyone’s comebacks and accomplishments. 

Sorry to hear you have been in hospital! Take it easy! Look after yourself! 
Looking forward to next year!! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, Padgey said:

Hamstring problem for about six months, did some sprint work last week and it seems to be getting better. A bit more of the same this week i think.  I should've learnt my lesson from years ago that a lot of running with out opening the legs up isn't great for the hammy's as they shorten.   If you're doing a lot of running make sure you get some sprints in every now and again to lengthen those hammys.

Dude, that could be a recipe for disaster! Sprinting on tight hammies equals tears! 

Nowhere near where I once was but I'm running slightly further and slightly faster than I was ten days ago when I started. I have knocked just under two mins off my pace per mile - I'm still slow and have accepted I probably won't get to where I was x number of years ago but happy with the improvement. 

I'm comfortably running between 2.5 - 3 miles at a decent pace, I'll up the distance soon but it was a good starting point. 

I've done a few bigger rides on the bike (16 - 18 miles) but the saddle is a killer. I've started doing short bursts now instead 4/5 miles 20 minute runs which are working well. 

I don't weigh myself so I don't know if I've lost much but I've eaten a lot better and a lot less so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the inspiration! 

• Upvote 1

I managed to run 14km on Friday (my longest yet) and got a new personal best for 5km at 22:40 this morning so I'm quite chuffed with that. 

4 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Oops! I had a moment of over enthusiasm... seem to have registered for a half marathon in 16 weeks 😳

Good luck! I'm sure you'll smash it, where is the event if you don't mind me asking? 

11 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll smash it, where is the event if you don't mind me asking? 

Thanks, I’m coming back from a month’s lay off after injury so basically starting from scratch with training tonight. Bit apprehensive because it will be my first half. Just feel I need a target to get motivated again.

I’m New Zealand based so it will be around the very lovely Devonport Peninsula :)

1 minute ago, John the Moth said:

Thanks, I’m coming back from a month’s lay off after injury so basically starting from scratch with training tonight. Bit apprehensive because it will be my first half. Just feel I need a target to get motivated again.

I’m New Zealand based so it will be around the very lovely Devonport Peninsula :)

Targets are always helpful, I'm looking towards the Bath half in March 2021. I'm sure you'll be back in the swing of things in no time, ohh wow that sounds good! I shall have to add it to my travelling wishlist 🙂 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Oops! I had a moment of over enthusiasm... seem to have registered for a half marathon in 16 weeks 😳

Nice! Find yourself a training plan online and you should have no problems. 

What's the terrain like there? I read a book about a woman who ran the length of NZ and some of it sounded a bit brutal. 

9 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

I managed to run 14km on Friday (my longest yet) and got a new personal best for 5km at 22:40 this morning so I'm quite chuffed with that. 

That's a great PB! You sound like your really smashing your training! 

I'm just about managing to get back into jogs after my op, it's crazy how 2 weeks can set you back so far, but luckily I enjoy being out running so I should be back to my old self soon enough. I have a tentative Half Marathon booked for September but I'm really not sure if it will go ahead, it would be nice to have an event to train for though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

That's a great PB! You sound like your really smashing your training! 

I'm just about managing to get back into jogs after my op, it's crazy how 2 weeks can set you back so far, but luckily I enjoy being out running so I should be back to my old self soon enough. I have a tentative Half Marathon booked for September but I'm really not sure if it will go ahead, it would be nice to have an event to train for though.

Thanks! I try to do a leg circuit once a week and run 3 times a week it certainly seems to be paying off! I am hoping to get under the 20 minute mark by the end of the year but we shall see! 

Glad to hear you're getting back into it so quickly, I hope you're feeling better. Fingers crossed it goes ahead for you! Where is it? 

At the age of 58 and during lockdown to keep the weight off i've been doing aerobics , it started with just 20 minutes but now up to just over an hour, together with long brisk walks i've maintained and perhaps lost some down to 84kl ( more to come),  i certainly feel fitter than before when i had literally 2 hrs of the evening to myself during the week, now coming out of lockdown i find that i'm still furloughed until the end of July and then will be looking for a new job, but still determined to keep it up to keep my mind occupied. My goal is 2021. i want to be fit enough come whatever the  weather to be fit enough to not have to worry about that side of things during the festival.

24 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks! I try to do a leg circuit once a week and run 3 times a week it certainly seems to be paying off! I am hoping to get under the 20 minute mark by the end of the year but we shall see! 

Glad to hear you're getting back into it so quickly, I hope you're feeling better. Fingers crossed it goes ahead for you! Where is it? 

Thanks :) It's Winchester Half Marathon. I've done it a couple of times, it's very scenic but pretty hilly!

Under 20 mins would be very decent! I struggle to get mine to under 26 mins!

16 minutes ago, ghandi said:

At the age of 58 and during lockdown to keep the weight off i've been doing aerobics , it started with just 20 minutes but now up to just over an hour, together with long brisk walks i've maintained and perhaps lost some down to 84kl ( more to come),  i certainly feel fitter than before when i had literally 2 hrs of the evening to myself during the week, now coming out of lockdown i find that i'm still furloughed until the end of July and then will be looking for a new job, but still determined to keep it up to keep my mind occupied. My goal is 2021. i want to be fit enough come whatever the  weather to be fit enough to not have to worry about that side of things during the festival.

Amazing job! Like you say it's about keeping ourselves mentally motivated too :) 

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

Nice! Find yourself a training plan online and you should have no problems. 

What's the terrain like there? I read a book about a woman who ran the length of NZ and some of it sounded a bit brutal.

I’ve always used the free version of Runkeeper, which has quite a lot of functionality for nowt. So I’ve put my hand in my pocket for an annual sub for the full version which allows you to create tailored training plans.

NZ has always been, and still is geologically active, so a lot of it is, erm... lumpy, even in mostly urban areas.
There’s some good flat runs to be found though along some of the waterfront areas and a lot of good cross country trail runs which are fun, but hard work.