Sam Fender

sisco

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Increasingly wondering if I'm conservative calling him for 2025. Probably the next young(ish) rock-leading headliner they get down at the farm.

I agree, could see it being 2024 tbh. Could be a ride the momentum type booking, like Stormzy who went from The Other in 2017 to headlining in 2019

37 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

Anybody else heading to Finsbury on Friday? Was going to just head up after work but looking at the forecast, I'm treating myself to a half day.

Me! Brother got tickets and gifted me one of them for Christmas. It's years since I've been to a gig with him so very much looking forward to it. Cheapest train I could get puts me in London at 9am 😅 so I have a whole day to look forward to, trying to find shelter and hydration.

20 hours ago, Porcelina said:

Anybody else heading to Finsbury on Friday? Was going to just head up after work but looking at the forecast, I'm treating myself to a half day.

Yes I've done the same! A few acts on the bill I've not heard of so will be cool to see some new music before Sam, and better than sweltering in the office all afternoon.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, brettredmayne said:

Never will go and see him again , too many football fans treating it like a football match.

musically I don’t mind him but the atmosphere next to me was close to an oasis gig, obviously doesn’t help I’m a Sunderland fan but he really embraces the football thing and that leads to a certain type of crowd .

wll my mates were Newcastle fans too all wearing the shirts so I just snuck off half way through

Absolutely spot on - i don't want football and music crossing over at all, its not a good combination. I had no idea Black Midi had any interest in football at all, and i didn't really need to, until the last couple of minutes of their set the singer shouted 'what do you think of Tottenham? Shit!' etc etc and that just made me think what a prick, i'm here to see you perform and you're coming up with tribalistic bollocks like that - why would you alienate a bit of your audience? 

I tweeted em about it asking why do that at a music festival that's nothing to do with football, and they were 'hilarious' in their reply, too. Maybe i'm naive in being a bit 'silo' in my thinking - football is football, music is music, lets keep em separate. I like that the summer comes and i don't have to be moronically wedded into it all for a couple of months. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Absolutely spot on - i don't want football and music crossing over at all, its not a good combination. I had no idea Black Midi had any interest in football at all, and i didn't really need to, until the last couple of minutes of their set the singer shouted 'what do you think of Tottenham? Shit!' etc etc and that just made me think what a prick, i'm here to see you perform and you're coming up with tribalistic bollocks like that - why would you alienate a bit of your audience? 

I tweeted em about it asking why do that at a music festival that's nothing to do with football, and they were 'hilarious' in their reply, too. Maybe i'm naive in being a bit 'silo' in my thinking - football is football, music is music, lets keep em separate. I like that the summer comes and i don't have to be moronically wedded into it all for a couple of months. 

100% in agreement. Its fucking ridiculous anyway and I can't believe it took me to fifty to realise that.

"My bunch of overpaid mercenaries in red shirts are better than yours in blue".. seriously.. so what? Football is arse for the friction it causes and i say that as an ex hoolie (a long time ago).

And deffo not at music. Those dicks giving it "we all hate Leeds Scum " to Yard Act whilst they were on stage. Proper dicks

6 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

And deffo not at music. Those dicks giving it "we all hate Leeds Scum " to Yard Act whilst they were on stage. Proper dicks

Didn't realise that there was a lot of football tribalism going on this year, but I did notice a slightly less friendly and more aggressive vibe. 

Hope we're not starting to attract Leeds/Reading types.

Shame they can't release the line up before the ticket sale. Only reveal artists that the twats have no interest in.

1 minute ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Can't believe any of you are taking this football nonsense seriously. Especially with Black Midi, it was clearly a joke. Don't all be so precious. 

Fair enough maybe

but I'm sticking to my overall observation - "but I did notice a slightly less friendly and more aggressive vibe". 

14 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

100% in agreement. Its fucking ridiculous anyway and I can't believe it took me to fifty to realise that.

"My bunch of overpaid mercenaries in red shirts are better than yours in blue".. seriously.. so what? Football is arse for the friction it causes and i say that as an ex hoolie (a long time ago).

I was there at Yard Act as well - who are so obviously a band completely disinterested in trans-pennine footballing rivalries and enmity its ridiculous.

I think, just like the agreement when buying a ticket to love the farm and leave no trace, there should be an agreement to not be a braindead bloody idiot who wants to row with people over tiny perceived differences. 

Those stories of the late 80's when all the various hooligan firms discovered ecstacy and raving and started loving each other, instead of fighting outside backstreet pubs, has always fascinated me. big groups of inner city lads have far more in common with each other than difference, and if they united (thats such a poor choice of word here 🤣) they could be capable of amazing things, society changing things. But then after a couple of summers of celebration, out goes that drug and in comes this drug and then its all back to Stone Island and lobbing bottles at motorway service stations. . . . 

2 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Can't believe any of you are taking this football nonsense seriously. Especially with Black Midi, it was clearly a joke. Don't all be so precious. 

Point missed.  I've seen it kick off at numerous gigs in numerous city's due to football allegiances. 

Not at Glastonbury thanks. No need. It's good to park all that shite.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

I was there at Yard Act as well - who are so obviously a band completely disinterested in trans-pennine footballing rivalries and enmity its ridiculous.

I think, just like the agreement when buying a ticket to love the farm and leave no trace, there should be an agreement to not be a braindead bloody idiot who wants to row with people over tiny perceived differences. 

Those stories of the late 80's when all the various hooligan firms discovered ecstacy and raving and started loving each other, instead of fighting outside backstreet pubs, has always fascinated me. big groups of inner city lads have far more in common with each other than difference, and if they united (thats such a poor choice of word here 🤣) they could be capable of amazing things, society changing things. But then after a couple of summers of celebration, out goes that drug and in comes this drug and then its all back to Stone Island and lobbing bottles at motorway service stations. . . . 

Lived through all that. One year we are jumping in a transit and smashing up a boozer somewhere midday Saturday and the next year it was jumping in a transit to attend an all nighter somewhere ridiculous.  I took the latter to guide down the path of righteousness.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Maybe im being precious, i dunno. Perhaps a frontman has no place calling part of his audience 'shit'?

call me a traditionalist if you like, jokes are typically meant to be funny

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

I think, just like the agreement when buying a ticket to love the farm and leave no trace, there should be an agreement to not be a braindead bloody idiot

There's lots of things I'd like to see in a pre-festival agreement.

25 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Point missed.  I've seen it kick off at numerous gigs in numerous city's due to football allegiances. 

Not at Glastonbury thanks. No need. It's good to park all that shite.

Yes, living near Glasgow and supporting one of the old firm teams I’ve seen trouble at many festivals and gigs due to folk not able to see beyond their allegiances for even the duration of a gig.   Even saw it all kick off big style at a Roger Waters gig due to something football/ political/ religious he said.  Don’t like seeing football colours or flags at Glastonbury, surely as you say we can all park that shite for the duration ofThe festival .  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Alright, whatever. You don’t see it as a problem, and I did. Different experiences innit. 

i did boo when i saw the newcastle badge on the piano but it was done in a light hearted way and others did the same in a jokey way, i would expect others to boo if it was a liverpool badge , its was a bit of fun but if someone has a screw loose then i can see some taking it the wrong way. Paul Heaton introduced all the band and what team they support and everyone was booing and cheering in a fun way

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

i did boo when i saw the newcastle badge on the piano but it was done in a light hearted way and others did the same in a jokey way, i would expect others to boo if it was a liverpool badge , its was a bit of fun but if someone has a screw loose then i can see some taking it the wrong way. Paul Heaton introduced all the band and what team they support and everyone was booing and cheering in a fun way

Doing it with an ounce of wit is a good thing, I’d say that Black Midi aren’t perhaps willing/capable of that kind of touch